• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I know quite a bit of Japanese, but I'm embarrassed about it partially because of "weeaboo" stigma, if anyone still uses that term, and partially because I'm worried I might commit a faux pas.

@Nitro Indigo
I wouldn't worry too much about that, since I'd hesitate taking anyone seriously who would unironically call someone who knows a little bit of Japanese a "weeaboo". Especially since - as far as I can tell - that doesn't even really seem to the true spirit of what that word is supposed to mean (for what said meaning is worth anyway).

That said... ooh Japanese!!! :LOL: I've been mildly interested in learning the language for a little while now... not enough to go actively seeking lessons or anything, but enough to Google the occasional web page on the subject every once in a while. It appears to be an incredibly intimidating language... and apparently some people say that it's harder to learn than even Chinese (and I always thought that the opposite was true!). It also doesn't really seem to be a terribly practical or useful language in the western world compared to most others, either, except for fun or some very specific job somewhere.

Now, when it comes to my desires to learn any language, they lean very strongly towards "fun". But the effort-to-reward ratio with learning a new language - especially something like Japanese - can sure take a lot of the "fun" out of seeking to learn one (let alone actually doing so). But then you could say that "effort" and "reward" are both relative to each individual person, I guess... I'm just not sure that my personal level of perseverance and self-confidence would be enough for something like that.

I can look at something in Japanese and pick out the words I know, but it takes me a while to process what I'm actually reading, especially since I've forgotten most of hiragana over the years.

I thought I'd be better at learning Japanese than I actually was... I'm an awful auditory learner and more of a visual learner, but I still couldn't get the feel of the non-Latin characters. If I went back to it, I'd have to focus just on Japanese instead of 2 languages at once or so.

So some dude posted this crack theory to the fire emblem discord and

I kinda wanna write it. I haven’t written shipping in god knows how long and tbh if this weird rarepair is my magnum opus I’d be perfectly fine with that

Ah... shipping fics. We actually don't have a whole lot of those around here, do we?
I can't say for certain, but I think they used to be much, much more popular back before 2010? I certainly haven't seen (or at least noticed) any since I joined. I might do something like it sometime, but I doubt it would be with canon characters. I don't like working with them so much.

Hardly any. For some reason they never really caught on in the Workshop. We just ship each other's original characters. Andrea x Kim cantrememberwhatichristenedit
I remember these two getting at least three names, but I can't remember a single one of them.

That settles it! I'm going to write a Red and Blue shipping fic...

... you know, where they're packing all the stuff they need to move to Alola, delivering it to the international postal terminal, and sending it all overseas. :V

Ah? Ah? Geddit?

... yeah, I'll show myself out.

now there may or may not be this one fic that may or may not sound something like "near demesis" that may or may not sort of be shipping two tpp protagonists that kind of sound like "maymay" and "fred" and feature a horny cat named after a mexican food item *eyes emoji*

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason anime ship fics have died off a bit is because of pairing fatigue - it's difficult to write about an old pairing when the characters don't appear together in the franchise for years, and there isn't so much support for fresh pairings. Also, fandom culture evolves, and shipping everything under the sun in huge lists with a special name for each list is very 2006.

Back
Top Bottom