• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Being on auto pilot is the scary part for me. If I'm not paying attention to something, I screw it up, and driving is one thing I definitely don't want to screw up.

Ah, I did say 'theory' test! It's an exam, I won't be in a car. Once I pass this test, I can book the practical test. I'm actually quite proficient at driving now, though it was stressful at first. Driving in automatics rather than manuals helps a lot. Anyway, thanks all!

I think driving theory is the written portion of the test before you get your learner's permit. The part that's basically a free pass to anyone who has been a passenger in a car at least once in their lives. I took it twice, nailed both 100% without any prior knowledge... I might end up taking it a third time because I just don't have the motivation to get my license before my learner's permit expires again.

(also why bother, I'll never be able to afford a car on my own and my parents don't trust me enough to let me borrow theirs, not to mention I'm shit scared of driving a cruise missile down the road at 65mph with head on traffic just inches away from my face)

I also had to take a written test to pass Driver's Ed, which was needed to make me eligible for the actual road test as well as eligible for a discount with my auto insurance. *shrug*

Oh god, auto insurance. My brother suggested I get my license when I was 18 even if I would never drive, simply so when I did start driving I'd have gotten the "experience discount" the company we use has. Welp, that boat sailed ten years ago >_>

Whaaaaaat that doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that, it completely deincentivizes sticking with the company. Do they not like money?

Sometimes rates lower or stay the same, but I've only ever had them increase. I use GEICO and they say it's because it's the rising costs of medical injuries and car repairs, combined with the rising rate of car accidents. Plus, the longer you're a driver, the more likely you are to get in an accident (ie., someone who's driven 10 years is more likely to have been in an accident than someone who's driven for 1 year). Depends on your local area, too.

I guess I've been in accidents before... My first car slid on the ice once and did damage to the back of a brand new car belonging to one of my high school classmates, lol. And someone backed up right into my car because they were too far into the street when waiting to make a turn. I'd call those minor scuffles at best since no one was hurt and no serious damage to the cars were done, but that little stuff counts, too.

The worst is when other companies get wind of a bust-up. A colleague of mine once literally reversed into my car while it was parked - a damn silly thing to do, but she's a wonderfully kind lady. She also straight-up offered to pay for it. All last year I was getting phone calls from some company asking if I ever got compensation. One chap who called actually seemed baffled at the idea that I wouldn't want to sue my friend.

I think I may have actually called that one a greedy vampire

Oh gosh, my experience is evidently pretty different to all of you guys! Driving theory tests in the UK are certainly not freebies to anyone who's been in a car, (they have been made more stringent pretty recently, actually), supervisors for learners must be experienced drivers themselves, and auto insurance is a legal requirement without which you may not drive on UK roads.

Anyway, I passed! With flying colours, no less. Time to book my practical test.

Oh gosh, my experience is evidently pretty different to all of you guys! Driving theory tests in the UK are certainly not freebies to anyone who's been in a car, (they have been made more stringent pretty recently, actually), supervisors for learners must be experienced drivers themselves, and auto insurance is a legal requirement without which you may not drive on UK roads.

Anyway, I passed! With flying colours, no less. Time to book my practical test.
Congrats! This calls for celebration! A round on uA's expense!

Back
Top Bottom