• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

By the way, the denonym for Sinnoh is Sinnohan. Is the H in Sinnohan silent or not?

Most English speakers would slur the "h", so it would become silent pretty quickly. Generally in English (Especially British Englishes) place names are spoken in the easiest way possible. This is how the Old English "Beormingaham" (BAY-OR-MINGA-ham) becomes pronounced "bir-MING-um" in modern English

I played Sun for the first time in ages to check out the Thrifty Megamart, and I know this sounds weird, but it's an example of how much I like the worldbuilding in Alola. Also, can that Pokemon merch become real?

Anyway, I brought that up because I'm still toying with the idea of Sinnohan forms. Since all the desert Pokemon live in caves in Sinnoh (ie: Hippopotas and Gible), maybe they could be a good place for Fire-types too?

Last edited:
well, there are the ground/rock type mon and the sandstorms that are risky for them, but that's what secondary types, abilities and gimmicks are for. this and ground/rock types probably also already live in volcanos and such.

I could see Fire-types in Wayward Cave, the Unown Maniac's Hippopotas cave, or Iron Island. (Or Stark Mountain, but that's not until postgame.)

The rarest types in the Platinum Sinnoh PokéDex are:
  • Fire (11, 6 families, 5 from Gen 4, 1 of which is legendary, 1 crossgen)
  • Fairy (14?, 5 families, 2 from Gen 4, both of which are crossgens, also retcons)
  • Dragon (7, 5 families, 6 from Gen 4, 3 of which are legendary)
All I need now is a Pokémon to reimagine.

@Nitro Indigo How about a fire type hawlucha, honedge, or clawitzer? Those are my suggestions for now

@Beth Pavell Sounds like you've reached the last straw. My sympathy for whatever kind of tough time you're having at work.

So, my personal news is that I finally got a new laptop. My old laptop is still great and has served me well but it's just not up to scratch for gaming or in terms of battery life, among other things. My new machines lasts a really long time on battery power, and I'm going to enjoy the ability to use it for writing without worrying about running out of charge on public transport, for example. Or my partner's desk where there's no convenient plug socket! Aw yea~

I'm not sure about Honedge, considering that none of the Alola forms were of hyper-competitive Pokémon and I don't think haunted swords undergo Darwinian evolution, but Hawlucha and Clawitzer sound good. Dwebble/Crustle are also crustaceans that aren't Water-type.

EDIT: Maybe it could be based on the mantis shrimp?

Also, I like the theory that Garchomp and Sharpedo are related, but I once saw a diagram of it which made it look like Gible was an alternate evolution of Carvanah... no!

I'm surprised that Carvanah and Sharpedo are never mentioned in discussions of weird evolutions, considering that piranhas and sharks are in completely different classes. I guess it's a testament to how good Pokémon designs in general are if consistent motifs in an evolution line can make people not question that. It's also why I like Magikarp and Gyarados so much.

I've recently started entertaining the idea of a Pokémon fanfiction that take place underwater.

Last edited:
Whew, I've been gone for a spell. My computer decided to basically incinerate itself somehow (Don'y ask me, I've got no idea.), but hopefully I'll be getting a new permanent computer soon. I've got a few things to post once I do.

Whew, I've been gone for a spell. My computer decided to basically incinerate itself somehow (Don'y ask me, I've got no idea.), but hopefully I'll be getting a new permanent computer soon. I've got a few things to post once I do.

Now I've got to know what happened, my dude. Were you overclocking?

whoa, and my biggest technical difficulty right now is my 3ds L button stopping working D: which makes psmd VERY hard btw

Sounds like you've reached the last straw. My sympathy for whatever kind of tough time you're having at work.

A mixture of finally having had enough and being too defiant to be forced out without a fight. Rumour has it Mark Constantine isn't too keen on such niceties as "employment law", despite ostensibly being a leftie's lefty, so who knows how the company will react

Having a pretty heavy time lately, and it got heavier today. My partner's pet bearded dragon has a cystic growth in her eye that may mean she's not going to be with us much longer. I'm kinda stressed, kinda sad.

I still hope to get the next chapter up before the end of the month, though.

Hi there, nice to meet you and thank you for your sympathy. However, it is a matter of time now. I'll be just fine, but my partner's taking it pretty hard.

So, today I just wrote 500 words of jargon as an interlude to DE, and yesterday I spent some time discussing some details of pokémon phenotypes and pokéball functionality here and on the Discord server. I'm wondering if I should start a DE worldbuilding thread, and who'd be interested in reading/contributing to it?

whoa, and my biggest technical difficulty right now is my 3ds L button stopping working D: which makes psmd VERY hard btw
My 3DS's R button broke a long time ago, which made Monster Hunter Stories a chore. You use the shoulder buttons to scroll through item descriptions, and there's a quick time event that uses them. I eventually gave up on that game for non-button related reasons: I could not beat The Flames of Disaster no matter how hard I tried.

Also, I can't do alliances in Super, or set favourites in Rumble World.

Back
Top Bottom