• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Swiftfox, that's such a tragedy. If those foxes were significant to you I'm sure this must be a hard blow. I'm sorry to hear of it.

I'm about to get a full week of my parents being away on holiday. Might help me de-stress and get some writing done!

Update: it gets worse. A second fox died from its injuries along with the last remaining alpaca.

In case you’re wondering, the zoo says it will NOT euthanize the Jaguar.

Swiftfox, that's such a tragedy. If those foxes were significant to you I'm sure this must be a hard blow. I'm sorry to hear of it.

Yeah, it hurts to the point that I'm thinking about changing my username. I don’t know for sure if they’re the ones that died yet. (There are also 2 gray foxes in the exhibit)

My further condolences, @swiftfox. Change your handle if you need to in order to process and move past the grief you must be feeling, but I believe your handle could stand in memorial to these foxes if they are indeed the ones who've passed. The memory of a creature is no less important for their having died.

I'm glad the zoo is choosing not to euthanise the jaguar — it would certainly not serve any useful purpose, nor be a sensible exertion of morality.

Free Time Day One is going okay: it's only 'free' in as much as I get to plan my own day, rather than being subject to the mealtimes and unforeseen requests of my family. I'll be delighted if it turns out I can achieve more each day with less oversight from parents, because that would bode very well for my future independent living!

Woo! New computers are the best. I prefer desktops far more to laptops, though. I took the opportunity to just borrow someone's spare while saving up for a custom build of my own. It's the first one I've had since... high school, maybe?

My laptop's still a piece of shit, just because the battery doesn't last long and it takes ~20 minutes to boot up. Not sure if it's worth replacing. I take it to cafes occasionally to write, and that's it.

I had to switch to a boring laptop since my PC rig produces too much heat. But once I got my own appartment (I'll be checking out two this Friday) I'm seriously thinking it bringing it over and give it fresh innards. Nothing more awesome than hearing 12 ventilators humming in content. I still kept that oversized housing (Lian Li, completely out of aluminium) which should serve as a great base for something new.

Edit;
Ha, it's "content", not "contend" you dork.

I wonder how long my laptop will last ... I've had it for years now, and apart from the case - or whatever you call it - coming apart near the hinge, it seems to be running hotter than it used to.

No doubt a desktop would do everything this does, and more, for not much money, but I do like being able to take my laptop with me on holiday, etc ... and I since I don't have any devices besides my mobile it's not like there's an obvious replacement lying around

I have an ageing desktop I built myself, and I used to hate the idea of using a laptop, what with the lower performance:price ratio, difficulty in upgrading, inbuilt input you can't swap out etc etc. But I've become very fond of my previous and current laptops. Even my current one doesn't perform as well as my desktop and costed more to buy, but the utility of mobility is certainly considerable.

I'll agree, I'm partial to desktops, but I'm a college student. A laptop is more practical, plus I get to take it with me and write anywhere.

In other news, I'm gonna post a story for the first time in ages, (Thanks new laptop) and I'm a little nervous as it's completely original.

I myself have been using the same laptop for the past seven years now... a MacBook Pro, to be exact. I originally got it for school, and in many ways it's showing its age quite a bit. The chassis has seen better days, the bottom gets really hot even during simple tasks like scrolling through files or watching a YouTube video, and the battery has become... less than reliable, let's just say. And yet overall, I'm still satisfied with it, especially after installing more RAM and a larger/faster hard drive on it a while back (and having the glorious macOS available on it instead of Windows-freaking-10 helps a lot, too).

Meanwhile, I also built myself a small form factor desktop PC about a year ago, which I use primarily as a PC gaming rig. And as much as I dislike Windows 10, using a PC with that amount of power does often remind me about how iffy my laptop can be with certain tasks nowadays, while the desktop handles it all like it's nothing. That said, I could never imagine myself using a desktop for everything (especially for writing), least of all because the inability to use it anywhere other than the desk and the TV. Given that, I know that I'll have to get a new laptop eventually, which hopefully won't be soon given the sorry state of macOS-based hardware right now (which is overpriced and underfeatured even by Apple's standards... as in not-even-standard-USB-ports underfeatured). I've heard that Windows laptops are really good nowadays, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one of those in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations as far as brands go?

I've heard that Windows laptops are really good nowadays, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one of those in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations as far as brands go?
There isn't a simple universal answer to that question because it depends on what you want in a laptop and what your budget is. Nowadays you have the lower end consumer laptops (cheap with low specs), business laptops (better build quality and cooling), hybrid tablet/laptops, and gaming laptops (big, noisy and the highest specs). I'm sure I'm missing a few categories here.

Iggy's right. The best thing to do is probably to go into a shop and find the machine with the biggest sale that's close to your hardware needs.

I've been applying for IT jobs! There's not fantastic pickings unless I take on a massive commute, unfortunately.

I do want a basic, cheap laptop that I can use exclusively for writing. Nothing big, nothing powerful, just something that can run my text editor and MSPaint when I get bored of writing. Once I get my drivers license, I'll definitely be doing the cafe creativity thing that a lot of other people do. Less distraction that way, I think. I've thought about dusting off my old laptop but that'd need some serious work done on it. The hinge is broken and it's slower than a glacier since it's 11 years old at this point, but I wonder if enough work going into it might fix it up for that purpose.

@Iggy I'm looking just to do some 1st Line support stuff. Man a helpdesk for a year or two and build up some experience before moving on. By NL, do you mean, what, Labrador? Canada is a little far for me, I'm afraid!

@Misfit Angel I would recommend a laptop designed for that purpose, there are some perfectly reasonable little machines designed for long battery life, portability and low price point. I have a Chromebook myself for exactly that reason, although I find I use my big laptop more often because it can handle very large documents with lots of formatting more easily while I have twenty tabs open. Not very disciplined, but convenient!

I find I use my big laptop more often because it can handle very large documents with lots of formatting more easily while I have twenty tabs open.
Wouldn't be a problem for me, at least, since I basically write in notepad and proper formatting isn't a thing in my editor. If I'm writing and need some sort of internet for research purposes, I'd probably limit myself to four or five tabs at the most.

Actually, thinking about it, my biggest concern would be being able to maintain the muscle memory for two different keyboards. It took weeks to get used to my current keyboard when I switched from that old laptop to my current PC. Even trying to type on my laptop every now and then is an exercise in frustration.

Yeah, switching keyboards is more jarring that I'd ever expect it to be. >.>

As far as laptops go, the brand I lean back on is ASUS. Cheap and reliable for what I want it to do (ie., be decently fast and have multiple programs/tabs open at the same time). Only downside I've experienced is a terrible battery life if you don't take care of it properly.

@Iggy I'm looking just to do some 1st Line support stuff. Man a helpdesk for a year or two and build up some experience before moving on. By NL, do you mean, what, Labrador? Canada is a little far for me, I'm afraid!!
And the Netherlands?

Yeah, switching keyboards is more jarring that I'd ever expect it to be. >.>
Never change a winning team, just connect your own. Of course that 4kg keyboard of mine isn't exactly portable. But it types like nothing else on the planet. The key configuration is stored on the controller card so its used on whatever device you connect it to, including the recorded macros.

Back
Top Bottom