• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

New keyboards are always weird but it's not long until you adapt. The main thing for me is I need my arrow keys to be separated from the rest to be comfortable. Oh, and I need the numpad for é and — ;P

Iggy, I don't think I can commute to or move to the Netherlands! Partner speaks some Dutch though, so, like. Maybe one day???

Speaking of keyboards and having difficulty adjusting, I think the worst thing is trimming my nails. I can be quite lazy with it sometimes and often grow impressive claws, which are never a problem for my typing as they grow so slowly that I never notice the minor changes. But when I trim them, suddenly I lose all function in my fingers and I type like a drunk who has never seen a keyboard in her life. It usually takes a few days to get back into the swing of things.

So...stuff is happening. Yes.

1. I'm going to see Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms in my local theater tomorrow after work.
2. Ordered a Switch off Ebay and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival so I can play Octopath Traveler.
3. Found out that Voltron: Legendary Defender is going to end on season 8, so I'm gonna FINALLY catch up on the rest of the episodes that are up on Netflix right now. I'm gonna miss those precious dorks!
4. My Aladdin DVD finally arrived in the mail today, as did Dad's drumhead.

@Juliko
Lucky for you with the Switch... especially on eBay! I was close to catching a rather epic deal on it there, but I missed it by just a few hours. I've been constantly checking my inbox since then in the hope that a good coupon pops up again (since eBay seems to be pretty generous with those lately), but something tells me that I won't have much luck with that. That's OK, though, since my backlog is pretty large enough as it is. You'll have to tell us what Octopath Traveler is like, though, so that I'll know if I actually need to make said backlog just a bit larger after all... :LOL:

Woo, glad you got the Switch, @Juliko!

I realized just the other day the original Crash Bandicoot series came out as a remake not only for PS4 and the like, but also Switch??? I know what my next purchase is going to be. :p I haven't gotten to play the Switch much since I ended up not caring for LoZ: Breath of the Wild.

The latest Cat News (tm) is that I walked for nearly four hours today, despite my flat feet. I'm in some pain, but it was very satisfying!

And I'm just waiting for this Friday when we get more Dream Friends for Kirby Star Allies. <3
I'm waking up an immediately diving into Soul Melter Ultimate choice with Daroach. Squeak Squad is my favorite Kirby game, as well as my favorite DS game in general

I'm not sure I'd agree, but I cannot deny Daroach has an impeccable fashion sense. Easily the most dapper character in the whole Kirbyverse.

the SNES mini my dad ordered finally arrived! we're gonna have it on our cabin and we might go today to test it out. i'm hype as i only have good memories of SNES games. yes, even bubsy

oh my gawddddddd. Home Alone 2, Speedy Gonzalez, and The Lion King on the SNES... I had them as a kid and wanted to chuck the system out a window. They're much harder than you'd expect.

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Goof Troop, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country, A Link to the Past, Zombies Ate My Neighbors... I actually haven't played much more than that. I started Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, and Breath of Fire, and Final Fantasy 3 a couple years ago, but none of them actually impressed me that much.

Chrono Trigger is the best rpg ever made and you can't change my mind. The game's a masterpiece.

Salutations! I'm extremely new so I don't know what I'm doing and how exactly the forum etiquette works, but I'd like to get some help with a pokefanfiction idea I had and after some scrounging around the internet this forum seemed to be the perfect place. How would be the best way to go looking for people willing to work on a project(or at least, help me gain the momentum to see it through)?

Salutations! I'm extremely new so I don't know what I'm doing and how exactly the forum etiquette works, but I'd like to get some help with a pokefanfiction idea I had and after some scrounging around the internet this forum seemed to be the perfect place. How would be the best way to go looking for people willing to work on a project(or at least, help me gain the momentum to see it through)?
!emocleW I mean, welcome! You have a bird as avatar so you'll fit right in. (Right dp?) If you're looking for help, I'd suggest to search around and if you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to open a new topic about it.

Last edited:
@Cryptic, hi there and welcome! You'll find plenty of resources here, including various existing threads giving advice or providing a platform for discussion. I suggest making a thread about your project inviting others to offer their two cents on whichever issues are troubling you.

Meanwhile, in uA news: got one major fault in my driving test: undue hesitation. I suppose I'd better book a retake! Oof.

@Iggy is right. Yay, another cockatiel fan?! My cockatiel offers writing editing services at the rate of 1 sunflower seed per page. :p

CaMwqNk.jpg

But yeah, we all try to be supportive around here. I'm not sure if you mean a collab writer or other kinds of help, but either way, indeed you can start new help threads for anything you might need, or look at existing threads if they're relevant to your work. There's also the Rulebook and Information Hub, which has the Writers Workshop rules, links to important threads and popular discussions, and a FAQ section. That's also where the mods post weekly about new things happening around here. :) Do let me or another mod know if you have any questions!

Only problem is you end up re-editing it all anyway :V
Well, that's part of the craft.

A craft I bloody well need to get back into. I bought a house this morning (my first) so that would free up time for writing. And trying not to read too many Garfield comics.

Question for those who care to answer = Is there a particular term for a concrete wall (or a room) that is unpainted? Or in any way decorated for that matter.

Last edited:
@diamondpearl876 (I don't have one myself, but I love them birbs! and other animals, but this is one of my only drawings with a small enough file size that the site would accept so :p) @Iggy @unrepentantAuthor
Thanks for the welcome! I'm tickled because Unrepentant's Different Eyes is the first fic on here I've read all the way through and the one that convinced me to go through with making an account. I'd like to open a thread, but only if I know my idea hasn't been explored by someone else already. I guess I'll explain the gist of it and ask if any of you have seen something similar?

The idea is Pokemon concepts that are usually taken for granted are completely reexamined from the ground up, and altered to be as realistic as possible. Well, realistic in the relative sense of the word, as for Pokemon to be Pokemon they need mind-numbing powers. The best analogy I can make is to the Avatar: The Last Airbender universe. There are extremely fantastical elements to the story, but the entire thing has an internal logic that makes it feel grounded... like it makes sense and could theoretically exist. I've had passing fascinations with pokemon but because the worldbuilding didn't have this grounded quality I've always grown frustrated and given up on it. To my brain's particular logic, it didn't make enough sense to be fun and satisfying. I just decided one day I'd like to make my own version that I like better, and as I developed the concepts, I realized that stories started telling themselves without me trying. Now I have some characters I never originally intended to create and whatnot that I need some way to express? Anywho, that's why I'm here.

A few(of many) examples of 'realistic' changes to the universe is a diversifying of sports and uses available for pokemon(battles are still big, and contests, but there are tons of other things like ball sports, dog shows, etc. Basically the variety you'd find in the real world), you need connections and/or resources to get into sports like battling, you need a licence to own a Pokeball(no random unsupervised ten-year-olds running around with access to Charizard), there are glaring animal rights issues and organizations like our PETA, however like the slavery of Slavics and Africans in our world a few centuries ago, the economic, corporate and personal benefits of exploiting pokemon make it incredibly hard for governments to want to, much less try to change anything(except in smaller countries), etc etc. I have several documents full of random worldbuilding stuff. It's kind of similar to 'Different Eyes', except while Unrepentant does add a lot of realism to the world her focus seems to be exploring interesting philosophical questions and story arcs that arise out of ideas such as the pokemorph, whereas I'd like to explore the realism and the philosophical questions and story arcs it creates in and of itself. Also, I'd like the pokemon to stay closer to their original forms. The purrloin character(btw you have no idea how much joy it brings me to see an underrated favorite of mine get the spotlight) on the surface looks more like a real tortoiseshell cat than a purrloin. While I want there to be much more biodiversity and subspecies in my universe, I would like to retain most of the elements that make pokemon so visually striking, although I really enjoy seeing Unrepentant's idea executed. I think the best way to explain this without info dumping my entire work so far would be to share some of these realistic pokemon images you may have seen floating around. My favorites are arvalis's on DeviantArt(linked at the bottom). What I love about these images is they look like real creatures, but are still instantly recognizable for their distinctive pokemon traits. Altaria may have feathers instead of cloud fluff, but she retains her shape, proportions, and color. I'd like to create either a literary or comic equivalent to the realistic pokemon trend in visual art, assuming nobody's done it in this specific way before. The pokemon in my universe would also probably look somewhat similar to these. Thoughts?

Realistic Poke Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
^ These are some good ones but please check out the others if you are so inclined. They're all so good! I'm envious of her talent. Anyway.

Thanks for reading all that if you got through it by the way. I appreciate how friendly everyone is :3

Back
Top Bottom