• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Welcome to ya, @namohysip! It's a pleasure. I'm not as avid a reader as I once was, but I have an interest in PMD stuff. When I've caught up a bit on Amby's fic, I'll give yours a look. I hope you take to the forums well, mate!

Once again, I have crashed and burned with my attempt at an Anime Rewrite. I have attempted more then several times over multiple threads, and then I crash and burn. I think going the game route at this point is the best idea. At this point. All of my attempts were intended to be Ash going through each region (whether it's with Pikachu like the anime, or with a regular starter). The Game Route idea was more of a 'Plan B' type of thing.

I understand the problem: At first, Ash roster of Pokemon will be small and easy to manage. Plus the fact the the Anime is going to continue as long as they are making Pokemon, thus meaning it will be an endless journey that will only end when Pokemon does. Eventually, it will get so big, that I won't be able to have them all appear and get development. Also, going the game route will allow for aging to happen. It will be weird to be in Generation...20 (just an exaggeration), and have Ash in his 50s and still be traveling and battling.

It might work for @LightningTopaz, but I think it's not working for me. I don't watch the Anime much anymore.
What other benefits will doing the Game Route with this give me? What about Cons?
Sorry if I already asked this question somewhere else. Also, sorry for the rant.

Writing every arc in order in one long monstrous thread is an epic project. It may be easier if you break it up into the different arcs of the show with aspects from the games.

Blending the games into the show (in my eyes), solves many of the show's problems by keeping the teams manageable (by imposing the six Pokemon limit on the cast.), to name one example.

Writing every arc in order in one long monstrous thread is an epic project. It may be easier if you break it up into the different arcs of the show with aspects from the games.

I intend to make separate threads for each regional saga. Each region will simply have it’s ow protagonist. I also realized that there really isn’t a story to tell with the anime as it is. It’s just:

Ash goes through each region collecting badges (1-6)
Ash attends school (7)

No story. I have an idea, but Ash will sadly be booted out in favor of the in game male protagonist of that region. At this point, my interest in ash is 0. I am still going to do the Orre adventure I have going. He is a good character for one offs.

It may be interesting to stick him in Ash's role--what would he do differently if he were in Ash's position?
He will be similar to Ash. In fact, all of the protagonists will be. They all care about their Pokémon to the point that they will do anything to protect them, even jumping off Prism Tower. I do have an idea for Red that has been in my mind for a while.

Got two Questions: 1. How come do you see most stories in Digimon about the Humans and inot the monsters?

2. I'm working on a few things pokemon related, so should Pokemon talk when there are Humans around?

Got two Questions: 1. How come do you see most stories in Digimon about the Humans and inot the monsters?

2. I'm working on a few things pokemon related, so should Pokemon talk when there are Humans around?

Hi Blindman! Welcome to the Workshop!

1. I don't read many Digimon stories, but I've actually seen quite a lot of them about the monsters more than the humans. That said, some people are just prefer writing human characters because it feels more natural. Less awkward description when you don't have to think about how a creature without opposable thumbs holds a sword.

2. If you wanted to write it that way, then you could. The way I and many others here tend to write Pokemon stuff is by taking a lot of creative liberties. If you want to write a story where Pokemon never talk at all, no one would bat an eye. On the other hand, if you wanted to write a story where all Pokemon speak fluent English and regularly talk to humans, then you could get away with that too. Depends on the way you want to write the story and world you want to bring to life.

For future reference, feel free to make a new thread in The Written Word if you have a question you want to pose to the community. If your question is really simple or specific then you can make use of the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread. We end up talking about writing a lot here in the General Chat since we're all writers, but the intent is for this thread to be about miscellaneous non-writing stuff. No biggie.

@BlindmanV2 For your first question, I think it's because the premise of most Digimon media is "humans get send to another world." It's the perfect escapist fantasy. (The only exception that comes to mind is the X-Evolution movie.)

Once again, I have crashed and burned with my attempt at an Anime Rewrite.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time, but I think I ought to tell you more overtly that rewriting the anime on the scale you hoped to is a gargantuan task that only an experienced, talented, disciplined, motivated person could possibly hope to accomplish. I really do think you should try your hand at something more manageable.

What other benefits will doing the Game Route with this give me? What about Cons?

Are you asking for someone to tell you the selling points and challenges of novelising the games? See, I don't know what you'd consider a 'pro' or a 'con' when writing something like that, if I've got the right idea about what you're proposing. All I'm gonna say is that it's an incredibly ambitious task and even an accomplished writer would probably burn out on that.

I don't watch the Anime much anymore. I also realized that there really isn’t a story to tell with the anime as it is. At this point, my interest in ash is 0.

Forgive me for asking, but if this is all true, why did you even want to do an anime rewrite?

1. How come do you see most stories in Digimon about the Humans and inot the monsters?

I'm not into Digimon, but I'd guess it's because the franchise as it exists concerns human:digimon partnerships in a context where humans are essential (as digimon exist in cyberspace, and not naturally). By comparison, pokémon can exist without humans much more readily, and have diverse natural communities.

That's entirely up to you. Nobody can make that decision for you, especially without knowing what you want to achieve with your fanwork. Obviously, the convention of the franchise is for pokémon to be animals that don't speak, with few exceptions. Normally I might say that to do otherwise would require some kind of justification, but it's actually really common in this fandom to let trainers understand "pokéspeech" naturally or from experience so you don't really need to justify it. It comes down to what kind of story you want to tell — realistic or fun? — and what you prefer.

The writing guide on The Cave of Dragonflies has a really good section about respecting how the author wants to interpret the universe, and it cites the sentience of Pokémon as something that varies from author to author.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time, but I think I ought to tell you more overtly that rewriting the anime on the scale you hoped to is a gargantuan task that only an experienced, talented, disciplined, motivated person could possibly hope to accomplish. I really do think you should try your hand at something more manageable..

You are right about an Anime Rewrite being a huge ambitious task. One region is tough enough with one character.

I have decided on not doing an anime rewrite. You are right. No point rewriting something I don't watch. I think that was my problem: Not really watching the anime anymore. Instead, it will be more like the games, where each region has its own Protagonist. That will be more manageable, as I can end each Protagonist's story and start a new story for the next region. Sure, I would need to not make the protagonists clones of each other.

Well, as someone who is writing her own rewrite of the anime (as my second fanfic ever, to boot), I can definitely say that it is a daunting task.

In fact, I have spent countless hours organizing the structure and sketching a general timeline and the overall plot for the story – like, when does a Pokémon learn a new move or when a character fights during a Gym/evil team/regular battle – as well as having already organized the roosters of almost all characters that will appear in the story, namely the main characters’ teams and some rough development ideas for their Pokémon. I’ve also worked on exclusive events and incorporated the movies in a way or another.

So yeah, this isn’t something I would recommend doing if you aren’t fully set in working on that. As of me, I’m very passionate about the anime and I’m doing the story to “fix what is wrong”. If you aren’t too much into the anime, then it’s better to try something that better fits your tastes.

Oh, hello there.

I have returned from a long hiatus (which I doubt you noticed because I'm clearly a nobody) and I have done some actual *Fanfic Writing*

(Those are supposed to be stars)

I wanna write a story but i dont know because my story is based off of a game that I played called Pokemon Academy Life. Well its really only a demo game at this point, would that be okay?

Back
Top Bottom