• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I notice none of you mentioning generations.

Eh, it was okay. I mentioned it the last time this discussion came up to indicate my ambivalence towards it.

I've started a debate, and I'm not good at arguing my case, especially at this time of night. I knew I'd regret that earlier post

The intensity is honestly pretty low. It's okay though dude, you can just... drop out of it. It'll petre out on its own in a minute and you don't have an obligation to "defend your case" if you're not up to it. Take care.

I've edited that comment since then, it's just that now I'm worried that this'll come back to haunt me whenever I think about enjoying meh kid's entertainment. It was borne out of my negative opinions about PSMD and Let's Go while channelling IHE reviewing Sing. I still want to do a rant-analysis about the former, by the way.

...But I've moved on pretty well!

Last edited:
I never watched Generations, so I can't comment on how much it appeals to "older" fans (Or which ones), but I will say that a series of very short shorts isn't much effort for a franchise of this size.
I like that it's shorts because they actually cover more content rather than less due to lack of unneeded fluff inbetween.

I should clarify: I wasn't demanding that Pokemon should become Darker and Edgier, I was just trying to explain the reasons why I sometimes get burned out on Pokemon and move on to other interests every once in a while, which I'm not good at articulating.

Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion on Generations, but Origins always felt bland to me.

Anyway, I don't have much of an opinion on Generations, but Origins always felt bland to me.
Maybe that's because it's a faithful adaptation of the Kanto games. :p Nostalgia aside, Kanto always was kind of "blah" compared to the later games of the series, in my not-so-humble-opinion... especially given its bare-bones storyline, borderline-broken gameplay, and relative lack of interesting lore or worldbuilding. A part of that is because the Kanto games were the first ones in the series, of course. But they don't exist in a vacuum, either... they'll always look worse compared to the other games in those respects.

Regarding what was discussed earlier, I can definitely say that I'll be the first to argue for higher narrative standards in "children's series" such as Pokémon (or any type of series, really). But then I remember that there's a whole world of Pokémon fanfiction out there that — at its best — fulfills almost every possible desire that the official media doesn't and then some. With that considered, one could argue that there's little reason to complain... not that it means that these types of conversations shouldn't happen at all, of course. Rather, it's more like: "At least we have options!"

Maybe that's because it's a faithful adaptation of the Kanto games. :p Nostalgia aside, Kanto always was kind of "blah" compared to the later games of the series, in my not-so-humble-opinion... especially given its bare-bones storyline, borderline-broken gameplay, and relative lack of interesting lore or worldbuilding. A part of that is because the Kanto games were the first ones in the series, of course. But they don't exist in a vacuum, either... they'll always look worse compared to the other games in those respects.

This is why I have the games happening in the order the originals were released, with the idea the stories as they exist are just how they are recorded. It also represents the evolution of the story's world.

Kanto is so "blah" because it was at the end of a generally-safe era; not much really happened because not much was going to happen. And then Mewtwo, who shows up at the end, changes everything to a degree.

Johto represents some better understanding of this new, more dangerous era... but it's still relatively safe. Not much is going to happen there either, simply because the major conflicts have yet to start.

Hoenn is when things are first getting dangerous. Magma and Aqua are both out to make the world a better place, though via opposing methods. It's dangerous; people actually die in the conflict. But, still, this isn't a case of a true villain so much as two well-intentioned groups screwing up massively. So, for the most part, people are still exploring and pushing their boundaries rather than focused on the threat.

Sinnoh is when things get incredibly dangerous. Galactic is out to destroy the world, and Cyrus comes pretty damned close to succeeding. Everyone's taking the threat far more seriously, in part because it's real and obvious from very early on. There is still some focus on more leisurely pursuits, but now the danger is undeniable.

Unova is when the excrement and oscillating air cooling device have a meet-and-greet. Things are highly dangerous, people are dying, there are serious issues abound, a well-intentioned group turns out to actually be terrorists... Things get complicated and stay a mess.

Kalos is where the world is adapting to the new era. Trainers are better prepared. The serious threats still exist, but are forced to be more circumspect and are handled better when they crop up. Trainers are more focused on dealing with the threat, leaving behind a past where they might spend hours decorating a base or some other similar activity.

Alola is the world fully adapted; trainer journeys have changed, the threats are much more capably handled, the bad guy groups far less effective.

But then I remember that there's a whole world of Pokémon fanfiction out there that — at its best — fulfills almost every possible desire that the official media doesn't and then some.
This is why my interest in Pokémon is being sustained by fanfiction at the moment, which I had with My Little Pony a few years ago. How the turns have tabled...

By the way, you mentioning "The Cave of Mirrors" on another thread reminded me: I typically watch episodes of episodic shows that have premises that interest me. I think it'd be prime material for Indigo Riffs on Things, since it's also one of the few XY episodes I've seen... except that I have barely anything to say about the episode itself, and also copyright.

Sorry for double posting again, but I was just writing Your Heart Is in Two Worlds, and realised that I had to imagine what was going on from another character's perspective in order to write his actions. Has anyone else had this?

unless i misunderstood, then yeah, a lot of times? i mean the way to get the most realistic reactions is to imagine how the person sees and feels things. usually the author won't have the time or patience to consider things from every character's perspective, but for stories with interpersonal drama as an important element, it's kind of a must.

The context for what I'm writing is that a character is trying to talk to the POV character, but the POV character can't understand him, so I have to imagine his dialogue.

Me: I should probably improve my writing.
My Brain: Nah, let's just keep writing in the same way we always do.

I mean, I guess if I keep writing I'll slowly improve as I learn what does and doesn't work but still.

Didn't come to this forum for more than a month. I guess close to 3 months now...?
Though I don't expect anyone here to remember me, but still come to say hi.

Moved to Japan for 4 months now, still unable to settle down in a fixed accommodation. I already moved 3 times in this short period of time.
Yet, if I can find a good place, I won't hesitate to move for the 4th time.
Though the problem is, a good place for accommodation is extremely rare in Japan, for many only-known-by-insiders reasons.

Didn't come to this forum for more than a month. I guess close to 3 months now...?
Though I don't expect anyone here to remember me, but still come to say hi.

Moved to Japan for 4 months now, still unable to settle down in a fixed accommodation. I already moved 3 times in this short period of time.
Yet, if I can find a good place, I won't hesitate to move for the 4th time.
Though the problem is, a good place for accommodation is extremely rare in Japan, for many only-known-by-insiders reasons.
I remember you!

Hope your accommodation search gets a little easier soon -- I just finished moving twice in a month and I can't imagine contemplating four times in four months; it sounds exhausting. :(

I agree it is exhausting. But that is just what I'm contemplating.
I won't give up until I found myself a place if not call home than at least "somewhere you can live a respectable life", because living in:

- A private dormitory housed about 40 people from all over the world, well internationalism is welcomed, but there is only 2 shower rooms (1 for female and 1 for male) for all the 40 people, and it is timed with a 100yen coin timer for merely 15min. Moreover the lounge and bedroom is separate by a street where you have to cross over to the opposite road just to refilling my cup of coffee.
- Another international private dormitory, but strictly follow the Japanese illogical household tradition of "No shoes in the lounge" (aka barefoot or with socks, not even slippers). OK I won't complain if your floor is as clean as a regular hotel, but it is not. The dormitory manager dare to told me they clean the floor only once per 2 months!!! The previous time they mopped the floor was like more than that... The bedroom one floor upper than mine was rumored having cockroaches...... Now you want me to walk barefoot/no shoes in such hygiene condition?
- A 6 bedroom house shared by 6 people, one is the landlord. This landlord guy, "strict" is not the best word to describe him, I doubt he is in fact obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. He set up bunches of house rules forcing every housemates to follow it exactly word-by-word, so detailed and inflexible. Such as one must not use the shower room after 24:00, if you planning your shower last 15 min then take your shower at 23:45, if you work and come back late then sorry; One must clean the dishes immediately after eating, when cleaning the dish use the sponge with detergent, after than wipe the dishes with clean tissues, and put it back to the original place, AH! and don't forget to clean the sink and stove as well; One must push back the chair at the dining table after eating, no this isn't "push back" if the chair back isn't touching the table, push it more into the table!; After sitting and leaving the sofa put back the cushions to their "original place", where the three small ones are right at the middle and the big one on the sofa back, hey don't lay cushions diagonally they must line up horizontally!; When cooking turn on the fans to "strong" and open the windows and door, be careful of the smell, HEY you turned on the fan but didn't open the window! What happen if someone complains the smell!? How many times must I told you not to break the house rule!? Everyone follows the house rule! They are setup for everyone's harmony! Don't dare to break the house rule again because you are breaking the peace! Inside my head: F*ck you. Why don't you just go to hell in the next second?

is more exhausting than the action of constantly moving around.

@CrystaI, in the UK that sort of behaviour by landlords is illegal, under the clause that any tenant has the right to a peaceful life. It sounds maddening, and you have my sympathy.

Yikes. >< Yeah, I can't really underestimate the importance of being able to live somewhere that's peaceful and comfortable and, you know, home-y. I guess I might've moved around a lot the last few years, but I was never stuck anywhere awful like that. Good luck, Crystal!

I did find a cute lil house, since I've mentioned my own home search here before. And now that I have the ratified contract back, I can say I'm officially a first time homeowner. :) Should have the keys in early October, assuming the inspection and stuff goes well!

Back
Top Bottom