• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Yeah, I was thinking of a few authors that have banned fanfiction of their works and have taken legal action against those who did publish fanfiction anyway, like Anne Rice. It may not threaten sales, but there's plenty of fanfiction that rip straight from the games/anime that could be considered plagiarism and copyright infringement.

George Martin, in his personal blog, once explained why it's unwise for authors to pay too much attention to fanfiction - Terry Pratchett always ignored Discworld fanfiction - even if you don't consider it to be harmful to your sales. As an an author you could bring legal action against fanfiction, it's just that most realise it's playing whac-a-mole and can easily be counter-productive anyway

I don't think he likes the idea of fanfiction in general. What he pointed out in that post - I'll have to dig it up sometime - is why fanfiction isn't necessarily a good thing for an author.

And he does have a point. Fandoms tend to assume that anything they want is automatically good for the creator, but fandoms are selfish creatures and tend to be good at rationalising

Anne Rice et al are unusual cases that date back some time. The modern attitude towards fanfiction is much more sensible. I'm no lawyer, obviously, but even fic that draws very directly from existing game/anime/manga materials is still a different medium of art, and non-commercial. I expect that the plagiarism brand would be a pretty tricky thing with which to attack pokémon fanfic writers.

It's also just not in the best interests of companies and authors to hunt fanfic like that.

I've just started watching the FMA Anime (Brotherhood). Why must they hurt me in this way.
Quickly, remove your heart and store it someplace safe. You'll thank me when the emotions wash over you and you survive it.

Speaking of extremely emotional animes, I can very heartily recommend Violet Evergarden. I'm currently on my third rewatch of it and goooooood damn, my heart still can't handle it.

i watched an anime recently too, that being dragon pilot on netflix. cute and funny show with lovable charactrers, though the ending kind of disappointed me as it just wasn't what i was tonally after in the show. basically, it was gurren lagann in a show that wasn't gurren lagann.

still think the first 9 episodes are definitely worth a watch, though. the dragons are really damn cute, they make whale noises

i watched an anime recently too, that being dragon pilot on netflix. cute and funny show with lovable charactrers, though the ending kind of disappointed me as it just wasn't what i was tonally after in the show. basically, it was gurren lagann in a show that wasn't gurren lagann.

still think the first 9 episodes are definitely worth a watch, though. the dragons are really damn cute, they make whale noises

I've heard good things about it and I've been meaning to watch it.

Plus, being the GL fanboy I am I'm down to watch anything that has even the slightest of similarities.

well, i mean "gurren lagann" more in the "see all these rules we set up? well fuck em" way and the finale, while having a cool setting, wasn't nearly as epic in scale as GL was so i couldn't be as forgiving

okay i've definitely been on bulba too long, i just think guiding light with GL nowadays

"see all these rules we set up? well fuck em"

Ah, I see. The only reason that works for GL is because the whole point of the show is "fuck you and your rules I'll do what I want" but the ending doesn't translate well to other anime (e.g., darling in the franxx)

Definitely do it. Gurren Lagann was my first introduction to actually well written anime, (My first show was SAO, whoops) and it remains my favorite show of all time. For a show about robots with faces on their chests, it's a surprisingly deep and emotional show at times.

I'm fond of TTGL but it's not that well written or anything imo. It's got its issues.

Still 100% worth a watch!

Back
Top Bottom