• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Goals for the weekend: post here some more, relax, make a budget, do some writing, attend the local market, quality time with my partner, prep for RPG sessions, look after myself. It's a lot. I'll do my best.

I pretty much did all of these things! Except instead of writing, I visited my family. Which is also a good thing to do. Not a bad weekend at all, really.

"Camp NaNo" is in July

I actually much prefer Camp, but it doesn't get nearly as much buzz sadly. Also because the goal is personal and custom, it's harder to brag!

I did cross the NaNo finish line at 50,146 words on the last day.

Congrats, Kris, that's really impressive!

Anyway, I've been watching the new Doctor Who, and I personally have really enjoyed this latest season. Anyone else been watching lately?

I dropped Doctor Who in the middle of Capaldi's run. Just kinda stopped watching, I guess. (The abomination that is Clara didn't help.) I doubt I'll pick it back up again.

I watched "The Woman Who Fell to Earth" to the end, but I forgot to watch the next episode and then didn't watch any others. I've never actively followed Doctor Who.

Never been a fan of Doctor Who myself, though I have lots of friends who are. I did watch Wizard of Oz the other day, and...ehhh, I'm not a fan. It's so juvenile and dated and full of unnecessary songs and filler. The book is way less saccharine.

@Juliko I tried reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and while the prose is too simplistic for me, it is a children's book from over 100 years ago. I read it because I heard it was a lot darker than the film, and it is.

@Nitro Indigo For what it's worth, I did like the prose, mostly because it's so different from most children's books of that time period, which always had nauseatingly purple prose. I still like the book, even if I do feel the characters could have been more developed and all the conflicts didn't wrap up as soon as they began.

On NaNo: I gave it a go this year for the first time to see if I could do it, and.... nope. Got about halfway-ish, which I am proud of given that I work full time and have very limited free time! Yet I think the pressure to write a lot meant that I kept backing myself into corners writing my first thoughts down. I rather lost the motivation when I realised I would have to go back and edit huge chunks of two of the chapters I was working on as the plot stopped making sense. I think if I was to do it again, I would try and work on one full planned out project, but the 1600 words a day average to actually achieve the goal.

On Doctor Who: Capaldi's first season was awful but the next was quite good and his last was great! The current season is not thrilling me as much as seasons past; I never thought I would miss having Moffat's overarching storylines, but at least they gave you a mystery to try and solve. Outside of a few stellar episodes, most of them have been very 80s-Who in their plotting and character work but with better effects.

I dropped Doctor Who in the middle of Capaldi's run. Just kinda stopped watching, I guess. (The abomination that is Clara didn't help.) I doubt I'll pick it back up again.

Clara was yet another Moffat-style female character with a somewhat manic persona and a mysterious connection to the Doctor that he became fixated on solving. I was already sick of it halfway into the Amy/River plotlines and I desperately didn't want to see more of that shit.

I watched a few Bill episodes and really enjoyed them, mind you.

You should consider picking it back up now that Moffat is no longer showrunner.

On Doctor Who: Capaldi's first season was awful but the next was quite good and his last was great! The current season is not thrilling me as much as seasons past; I never thought I would miss having Moffat's overarching storylines, but at least they gave you a mystery to try and solve. Outside of a few stellar episodes, most of them have been very 80s-Who in their plotting and character work but with better effects.

I stopped watching halfway through Eleven's second season because I couldn't physically stand watching any longer, so I missed almost all of Twelve.

I acknowledge that the overall arc of Thirteen's first season isn't the strongest we've had, and not many of the episodes make the all time favourites list for me, but I genuinely think the base quality of the show is higher than it's been since Ten. I particularly appreciate having a thoroughly compassionate Doctor again. (Can't speak much for Twelve, but one thing I hated about Eleven was how self absorbed he was. The show, too, ugh.)

Grats on your half-NaNo btw, and good luck for next time.

Also on the theme of Doctor Who, does anyone have favourite Doctors? I'm a huge Nine fan, having come into the show in New-Who season one, I'm really loving Thirteen so far, and I've long been fond of Seven. (Seven still has the best companion of all time, Ace!)

I'm like 99.9999999% sure I'm done with my 11th chapter but at the same time I feel like I shouldn't post because I can't say when I'll be ready with 12 and so on. Is it better to just post right now or to make sure I can have a steady stream of chapters again?

(Spoilered for size)

I feel lucky my customer service these days is to students. If they give me too much grief, I just threaten to have the faculty fail them.

Been writing more Pokémon fanfic lately, and it feels good.

How is everyone?

Pretty good. Almost done with this semester, finals start this friday. I'm gonna post the next chapter of Snowfall once I'm done with those.

Getting along with my fanfic. Things are about to get interesting, and I'm dropping hints about something in-story already. Something rather important I don't think people will quite pick up on...

not doing so good here. now that my work-intensive code project is done and the last homework is over with, there's suddenly a bunch of free time i don't know what to do with. i still have exams to study for, but there's still plenty of time until those. all my stories feel shitty for their own reasons and i don't really have motivation to work on them. i have shows and fics i could catch but i'm worried i won't enjoy them anymore, which in turn will just depress me further.

i have therapy today so i guess i can vent somewhat but rarely do i hear anything that helpful there.

@Beth Pavell - YIKES, my sympathies!

i have shows and fics i could catch but i'm worried i won't enjoy them anymore

Best of luck with everything, but regarding this specific point: you won't enjoy them for sure if you don't read & watch them. Give it a try.

I'm free on the 22nd onwards, and I'm gonna use some time over Xmas to read and review fics. Woo!

not doing so good here. now that my work-intensive code project is done and the last homework is over with, there's suddenly a bunch of free time i don't know what to do with. i still have exams to study for, but there's still plenty of time until those. all my stories feel shitty for their own reasons and i don't really have motivation to work on them. i have shows and fics i could catch but i'm worried i won't enjoy them anymore, which in turn will just depress me further.

i have therapy today so i guess i can vent somewhat but rarely do i hear anything that helpful there.

Keep your head up. I am dealing with some depression lately as well. Just try to focus on the good things in life and remember that you have people who love you no matter what.

Don’t get discouraged about writing fics. Enjoy writing them and then after you’re done you can go back and fix stuff you’re unhappy with.

@Beth Pavell - YIKES, my sympathies!

It gets better. No bags yesterday, bearing in mind we'd just got a delivery on Tuesday. Tills still not working as they should be - all because Lush think they're software developers, for some reason - half the stock missing from the shelves and the general air of a bomb going off in a perfume factory

Back
Top Bottom