• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've ended up with a few more books. One's a foraging handbook which may have some use, though I think anything it has to say, Richard Maybey's said better in Food For Free. The other's The Meaning of Birds, unfortunately by Simon Barnes. Barnes' Ten Million Aliens annoyed me by being apparently the author's excuse to talk as much about himself as the amazing diversity of life. I'll keep an open mind, but no surprises if I end up putting it down

Since I haven't even started any of the books I was given last year, it's a relief that I've not been given books this year. However, I was given a slim volume of cat-themed poetry, which is cute, and a book of 365 daily writing prompts with space to exercise. I reckon I'll give it a good go. Seems the perfect way to commit to daily practice without stop-starting my actual projects constantly.

I do have an increasing pile of books to finish - Erebus: The Story of a Ship, Sir John Moore: The Making of a Controversial Hero, Istanbul: A Tale of Three Cities, a book on HMS Endeavour whose name I forget ... and I'm also reading Four Days Battle at the library

I got some books for Christmas, but the problem is, I've felt for a while that I have too many.

Also, I'm trying to come up with an idea for a cover for an anthology story that focuses on a lot of characters. Any suggestions? The best idea I have is a circle with a sky-coloured gradient and something thematically relevant next to it.

Too many books? Preposterous.

I got that nice illustrated copy of the Sorcerer's Stone for Christmas, as well as a new set of the Inkheart Trilogy. My old copies were in dire need of replacement.

I want to get my writing schedule back in gear. This past I've barely written anything aside from outlines and Unequivocant rewrites since June, and I had previously written at least 6 thousand words a week! I know I can return to that sort of speed, but I won't be posting as often as I was previously since I want to be working on some original material every other week. That would mean a new chapter would be posted every two weeks, which will hopefully help bring in new readers. I always seem to sail below the radar for readers for some reason. Hopefully this year I can change that.

Oh yeah, happy new year! It isn't even 11 yet here in the northwest, but I'll be celebrating it with my family when it comes!

Writing resolutions of the year? Well, I’d like to be able to produce at least five cases in Delta Dossiers before the end of 2019. Speeding up my writing is also on the list.

I definitely intend to finish MarJour this year, especially since I'm very close to finishing it overall. I've gotten this far, and I don't intend to just abandon it like how I unfortunately did for other stories I lost inspiration for or grew out of.

I want to go back to regularly writing and updating Different Eyes, I want to work some more on the CYOA dragon-rearing project, and I want to do a little writing exercise every day in the book I was gifted.
Good news: my throat's not so bad today after the first two doses of antibiotics.
Bad news: they taste so bad I have an autonomic and uncontrollable retching reaction and I need to take 20ml per day. Oof.
Anyway, I had a nice turn of the year, played some CAH with @Arkadelphiak and several friends from elsewhere. A good time! Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi, everyone; InfiniteBakuphoon here for another not-so-infinite stay at the Writers Workshop (haha). Or maybe it could be, because the main thing that I've been up to lately is working almost non-stop on the first chapter of Mirror Adventures, in what has become the longest and most successful extended writing session that I've had in ages. Not only because I've gone from having nothing but notes to writing several thousands of words over the course of only a few days, but also because I feel that I'm finally getting back into a writing state of mind. By that, I mean that I'm starting to become more disciplined with my writing, and that it's becoming more of a habit, or even more compulsive (in a good way). I feel like I need to write something down every day in order for the day to be truly complete, or that I should really sit down and work on that section that I know needs a little more work, or that it would be a really good idea for me to quickly jot down that new idea, piece of description, or chain of dialogue that just came to mind. That last little philosophy has been especially helpful for me, actually, since it's compelled me to spend time writing during slow periods at work, and I've managed to get a lot accomplished during those times... arguably more so than at home!

As for when I plan to finish? Well, a major thing that's been driving me with my writing is making deadlines for myself. I intended to have the first chapter of Mirror Adventures done and posted sometime in late December, and although I've missed all of the three or so deadlines that I set for myself during that month, the fact that they existed and that I took them seriously meant that they still drove me to get actual work done. Plus, I generally missed those deadlines not because of laziness or lack of inspiration like what tended to happen in the past, but rather because I simply didn't have enough time to finish everything in a way that I would've been satisfied with. So no regrets with all of that, really. Sometime within the next few days or so is my new deadline, although depending on how things go today, I could have something posted as early as tomorrow... we'll see!

Good luck to everyone else with their own writing projects, by the way. It appears as though a lot of us here have similar kinds of struggles when it comes to writing and getting stuff out there. 2019 will likely be the year of change for me on multiple levels... here's hoping that it'll be the year of change for all of us here who seek it with their writing, too.

Good luck to everyone on their writing/reading endeavors this year!

I've still got lots of Flying in the Dark drafts to edit from NaNoWriMo, so those will be my first writing priority this year (for fanfic, anyway). Then I'll be re-outlining either Love and Other Nightmares or Phantom Project, then doing word sprints for those, then editing... etc. Yeah, I guess that means I'll probably not be juggling three fics anymore, but working on them one at a time. If Flying in the Dark isn't 100% posted and complete by the end of 2019, or even halfway through 2019, well, that's just sheer laziness because the fic is done. It just needs polishing.

As for non-fanfic commitments, I'm starting to publish articles in my field (psychology). I've been accepted for one magazine already, and revisions are due in early February. Working on those one at a time, me being so new to it, is for the best. Plus, my master's thesis will also be in the works this year... but I don't have any further details on that yet, since school's on break still.

Back
Top Bottom