• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

The fact is, Youtube is a company, and this is often forgotten in debates over copyright law. It's not a public forum, per se, so outraged complaints over censorship are about as relevant as complaining about what a publishing house will or won't print (Which nobody does do, because it's accepted that they have the right to pick and choose).

For most people, copyright strikes are a mere nuisance, but for people insisting on making money from Youtube it's something that should be borne seriously in mind. Personally I would never think of doing more than making some pocket money from Youtube videos - it's a job with ultimately no security whatsoever

What version of Windows are you running? Off the top of me head, if you set OBS to Display Capture and just watch the video fullscreen, you can get a full-quality rip that way. But there might be an easier way, depending on your version of Windows.

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE ANY VIDEO RIPS YOU MAKE. ALL YOUTUBE VIDEOS HAVE SOME FORM OF COPYRIGHT, AND SO YOU SHOULD USE AS LITTLE OF THE SOURCE MATERIAL AS POSSIBLE TO MAKE YOUR PARODY. OTHERWISE, YOU MAY NOT QUALIFY FOR FAIR USE PROTECTION.

Sorry if you already know this. Just tacking this on in case any lurkers get any ideas. I can refer you to some YouTube case law, if you're interested.

Oh, and IANAL. I just, uh, read case law for fun. I'm weird.
I was planning on using either footage from a let's play I did or stick figures, depending on what it is I decide to parody.

I was planning on using either footage from a let's play I did or stick figures, depending on what it is I decide to parody.
Aaaaaah, my bad. Thought you meant that specific video's robovoice.You're probably thinking Windows Narrator then. The featureset changes depending on your Windows version, and you'll likely need a third party program to record the narration, but it should give you the machine voices you're looking for. OBS can do this too if set to record desktop audio, though I personally use VoiceMeeter Banana for simple desktop recordings.

Hope this helps!

I just remembered that you can record computer audio though Audacity. I learned this the hard way over a year ago when I accidentally recorded that instead of my commentary in a let's play, for over 40 minutes.

I just remembered that you can record computer audio though Audacity. I learned this the hard way over a year ago when I accidentally recorded that instead of my commentary in a let's play, for over 40 minutes.
I did not know that; that's awesome! The Audacity part, not the losing commentary part. That sounds awful.

Since you do Let's Plays; do you have an audio splitter? You could split Microsoft Sam into his own audio source so the rest of the desktop audio doesn't get recorded.

If you don't have physical hardware, VoiceMeeter Banana gives you some virtual audio inputs to work with. Program A on Track A, Program B on Track B. I've used it to broadcast music in the background during Discord D&D, before I torched everything and ran screaming in fear. Might make your life easier, if I'm not being presumptuous and/or condescending.

@Chibi Pika, welcome! Delighted to have you. It's been a while, what with my being too busy to update and not socialposting on Serebii these days, so I'm glad to see you here. Make yourself at home!

It's always nice to see someone besides the same eight or nine people we have rambling in here :p

We don't ramble. We passionately express alternative opinions on important topics. Like that guy in the park, the one that wants you to repent and join a cult. Only replace "park" with "forum", "repent" with "give a review", and "join a cult" with "at least give a like".

See? We never ramble. If we did, the unbelievers would disrupt our ascension into the intradimensional halls of unlimited fantastification. And those gosh-darn unbelievers, always kicking up a fuss! Suppressing the truth and all that. That's why we don't ramble, Steve. That's why we don't go shouting in the park, Steve.

Anyways, welcome! Would you like some Kool-Aid?

(apologies to any regulars who happen to be named Steve)

There's actually a cult base where I live. They're spreading here from their HQ in Australia. Real creepy bastards, too. Predatory. Makes me uncomfortable to think about.

Anyway, my break's over. It was a good time, but I wish I'd had even a single extra day to help get my shit together a bit more between having a guests and going back to work. Here's hoping I won't be expected to work the full four weeks.

There's actually a cult base where I live. They're spreading here from their HQ in Australia. Real creepy bastards, too. Predatory. Makes me uncomfortable to think about.

Holy crap! I'm sorry, that stuff is alien to me. Didn't mean to bring that up. Hoping your community comes to it's senses.

Anyway, my break's over. It was a good time, but I wish I'd had even a single extra day to help get my shit together a bit more between having a guests and going back to work. Here's hoping I won't be expected to work the full four weeks.

Damn. I have no idea how your workplace is structured, but I got a relative with the same-ish job title and it's a lot of "doing things that really should be other people's jobs". Hope you find your me time somewhere!

Thanks, @Snuggle Tier List.

The cult will probably get done for financial crimes eventually. The local leader was head of the chamber of commerce until recently, but he resigned after the BBC did a documentary ripping into them. Hopefully there'll be some investigation of them, maybe they'll get done for wasting police time (they call the police on anyone who tries approaching them, it's mad.) At the moment there's only a couple hundred local members, mostly middle class women who fall for lies about their "sexual energy" and get persuaded to donate thousands of pounds to the cult.

Found out this morning that one of the new chaps at the office has already resigned after only two weeks due to stress. Sounds like he made a good call. I'm just hoping this doesn't affect me too much in terms of getting the hell out and working somewhere with a better work/life balance.

In any case, I'm determined to take the breaks I'm entitled to and leave on time going forward. If we're overbooked and overdue, it's not my problem anymore.

To cut a long story short, I'm feeling frustrated. I spent most of yesterday afternoon working on a video, only for PowerDirector to start crashing even more frequently than usual and then crash whenever I tried to reopen the file when I'd almost finished. I thought it was due to my antivirus taking up too much memory, so I waited for it to finish scanning today, but it was still running after 90 minutes. I switched to a different one that uses less memory, but the video still won't open properly. I emailed CyberLink support, but it could take them days to respond. The project is only 1.35MB!

Last edited:
To cut a long story short, I'm feeling frustrated. I spent most of yesterday afternoon working on a video, only for PowerDirector to start crashing even more frequently than usual and then crash whenever I tried to reopen the file when I'd almost finished. I thought it was due to my antivirus taking up too much memory, so I waited for it to finish scanning today, but it was still running after 90 minutes. I switched to a different one that uses less memory, but the video still won't open properly. I emailed CyberLink support, but it could take them days to respond. The video is only 1.35MB!
I'd give you serious help, but this sounds like a problem that requires a séance.

inexplicable_2x.png

Image credit: xkcd

Computers suck. I'm pretty sure the AI revolution has already begun, but they're trying to make our lives as miserable as possible before they twist the knife. Once they become sentient, they should be put on trial for crimes against humanity. I'm sure plenty of us would volunteer as witnesses.

Good luck, my friend. And godspeed.

countertheory: the ai revolution will be sparked when the computers get fed up with being blamed for perceived "errors" which are only caused by poor programming and interfaces given by their creators. hate the maker, not the product. #istandwithcpu

Back
Top Bottom