• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

based on my experience, i have a hard time thinking of a format more fitting for fanfiction than forums in this current time. namely because i posted to ffnet for the first time the other day and it was the opposite of intuitive despite being a site literally dedicated to fanfiction. and then there are the other problems on that site i won't be getting into...

forums, in my eyes, are the best option of all media these days as other social media are way too fast-paced and made for shorter posts. long-form discussion is probably one of the most prevalent reasons forums haven't completely died out yet.

of course "ideal" implies that no restrictions are present, but only settling for the ideal has a big risk of that ideal having some glaring flaws in other aspects or simply not existing.

I prefer to post my fanfics on designated writing sites because it looks more organised. Problem is, of the fanfic sites I've had accounts on, Fanfiction.net is a fossil, FictionPad is hella dead, and Fimfiction is only for one franchise... So that's why I'm sort-of interested in getting an AO3 account, despite the lack of images.

There's also a weird inconsistency where both AO3 and FF.net will sometimes list the Japanese names for things, sometimes in Japanese characters. I suppose it's for anime where people use the Japanese names of things, but that doesn't explain the latter, nor why it occurs in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon character tags on AO3. It just bothers me because it looks messy. Also, Shingeki no Kyojin and Attack on Titan are different categories on FF.net.

That's the threadmark summary. In short, when you enter a thread, and click on the Threadmarks bar at the top right, you can see the Reader Mode option. Reader Mode only displays threadmarked posts, with all other other posts hidden.

So reader mode gets rid of everything but the chapters? Cool!

Another reason why I prefer writing sites, though, is because it's easier to find what you're looking for through tags.

Since I keep getting bored of writing those Pokémon/My Little Pony crossovers fairly quickly, maybe they're not my "true calling"? I've requested an invite to join Archive of Our Own, so expect to see other sorts of fanfics from me soon.

Well, my plans for my week off may have to change. My car is making the most ungodly squeaking noise and I'm not sure I trust it enough to go on a road trip
As someone who grew up with roll-up windows, I'm more than willing to hear any "fuck my car" rants you got in you. And from personal experience, "ungodly squeaky noise" usually but not always means a problem with the brakepads. If that's the case, stay safe.

Oh dear England, I remember roll-up windows. Doubt it's the brake pads - I think it's a belt of of some sort in there, not least because the squeak stops when I take my foot off the accelerator and brake.

My dad insists it's safe, but I still don't trust it. My car's a notoriously noisy make, but even so, I'm not risking it

My first car had roll up windows. Those were the days. :V And by that I mean my stupid teenager days.

My current car always squeaks when I let go of the break pad. Was told it’s because the previous owner didn’t replace the rotors and the brake pads at the same time... a thing most mechanics won’t do now. But then I changed both at the same time and it still squeaks slightly apparently because of rust. Who knows anymore.

My dad's truck still has roll up windows. Now that I'm not a scrawny kid with noodle arms, they're not so bad. I can get the window up faster by hand than most motorized ones do it, so, eat that, technology!

This reminds me of the time I threw a rod because I had my car in first gear instead of drive without realizing it for 6 months.

lack of a car or funds to buy one probably wouldn't be an issue for me, coming from a family of two cars and relatively good wealth. what's keeping me from cruising about is the fact that i am way too scared of screwing up behind the wheel and causing a crash, whether it'd be mine or someone else's from being so thrown off by my bad driving. i'm also anxious as a person and too afraid to get rightfully yelled at by an instructor.

then on top of those two, and this is the reason i'm extra worried about the test, is that i'm one of those people who can't quickly tell left from right. if i was told to go right, i'd need about a second to figure out and verify where that is, and in traffic, every second counts. i simply just can't understand how some people can tell the difference so quickly. sure, i can tell up from down in an instant, but those can't be compared to left and right. what's up? the sky, your head. what's down? the rest of your body, the ground, the direction gravity constantly pulls you in. what's left? what's right? keeps changing all the time! both sides of the body are nearly perfect copies of each other. being right handed, i can at least check which hand is the good one, but this is what takes that precious second.

weird rant but i don't get how some people assume left and right are obvious and you must not be paying attention if you don't get it instantly.

Well, my plans for my week off may have to change. My car is making the most ungodly squeaking noise and I'm not sure I trust it enough to go on a road trip
Only at ignition or all the time? The first reminds me of a multi strap that could needs replacement badly. I'm unsure if the term "multi strap" is the right word for it, though. Perhaps "multi belt" is better.

lack of a car or funds to buy one probably wouldn't be an issue for me, coming from a family of two cars and relatively good wealth. what's keeping me from cruising about is the fact that i am way too scared of screwing up behind the wheel and causing a crash, whether it'd be mine or someone else's from being so thrown off by my bad driving. i'm also anxious as a person and too afraid to get rightfully yelled at by an instructor.

then on top of those two, and this is the reason i'm extra worried about the test, is that i'm one of those people who can't quickly tell left from right. if i was told to go right, i'd need about a second to figure out and verify where that is, and in traffic, every second counts. i simply just can't understand how some people can tell the difference so quickly. sure, i can tell up from down in an instant, but those can't be compared to left and right. what's up? the sky, your head. what's down? the rest of your body, the ground, the direction gravity constantly pulls you in. what's left? what's right? keeps changing all the time! both sides of the body are nearly perfect copies of each other. being right handed, i can at least check which hand is the good one, but this is what takes that precious second.

weird rant but i don't get how some people assume left and right are obvious and you must not be paying attention if you don't get it instantly.
As someone who avoided learning to drive for so long for these exact reasons, it's really not as bad as it seems. Driving is actually quite easy, and once you get out of the mindset that everyone else on the road is specifically out to kill you, the anxiety levels decrease soooooo much. As far as the left and right thing, that's really only an issue when your passenger says "GO LEFT" at the very last second when you couldn't have made the turn safely anyways. Time is precious while in traffic, but if you drive properly, you're never in a position where you need to make a hard left that puts other people in danger.

I would encourage you to ask someone you trust to co-pilot for you as you drive around quieter roads. I still don't like high traffic and highways, but I can drive now.

Also, a good instructor won't yell. They'll constantly remind you of mistakes, but yelling is the sign of a bad instructor, and bad instructors don't keep their jobs for long. Just don't let them get under your skin if you're a slow learner.

The main skill you need as a driver is anticipation. Good reaction times are a plus, but you need to look ahead and see what's coming up more than anything else.

Hi all! Been a while since I posted last, I know. I've been working my ass off at my former job, (whoo!), even having one day where I worked until 11pm.

But now I'm free! It's bittersweet, because I did love the work I did, but I really appreciate the chance to work somewhere with sane deadlines and that respects normal working hours. Gonna take some time off to recuperate and do some writing. Looking forward to that~

Hope you're all fabulously well!

I feel like making a parody of Pokémon speculation clickbait. Here's a common trait of such videos:
  • Stolen fanart/photoshopped official artwork in the thumbnails.
  • BLOCK CAPITALS and rhetorical questions in the titles.
  • Jumping the gun about things we know barely anything about.
  • The common things fans want to see, such as visiting every region, anime voices for every Pokémon, a dolphin Pokémon, walking Pokémon. (A recent one is people wanting to see old, scrapped Pokémon restored, which displays a fundamental misunderstanding of how the creative process works.)
  • Acting like theories/speculation were confirmed. ("Fire starters are based on the Chinese zodiac" has made a comeback, and there's the "armoured evolutions" thing going around.)
...But I don't have a big viewerbase, so I don't want it to drown in the sea of actual Sword and Shield clickbait. I wanted to make a parody theory a few months ago; maybe I could do that?

Back
Top Bottom