• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

EDIT: Also, now I feel like writing a oneshot making fun of PokeDex entries.

I like to have my characters in my story make fun of PokeDex entries for various Pokemon, especially their classifications, such as Typhlosion being called the volcano Pokemon when it looks absolutely nothing like a volcano.

Pikachu: The Mouse Pokemon
"What's a mouse?"

I just use the TV Tropes Fanon Pokedex because it's much better (if not canon). I wrote the Nihilego article.

I like to have my characters in my story make fun of PokeDex entries for various Pokemon, especially their classifications, such as Typhlosion being called the volcano Pokemon when it looks absolutely nothing like a volcano.
Arcanine being called the "Legendary Pokemon" even though there's nothing Legendary about it.

looking at you, formatting manager
There's a glitch on Fanfiction.net where sometimes a chapter will appear as garbled HTML. I use AO3 now.
Arcanine being called the "Legendary Pokemon" even though there's nothing Legendary about it.
The term "legendary" wasn't well-defined on Gen 1. Even as late as 2002, Dragonair was seen on a door with all the legendaries in "Ready Go".

I'll consider keeping a blog page as a profile page, but honestly, user profiles really aren't all that user friendly. It's no wonder they get completely ignored.

Ordinary pokedex entries can sometimes be fascinating and provide great background information you wouldn't guess at. Gen I in particular is guilty of having a lot of nonsense entries that don't make any sense. Adding "it is said" to such entries to indicate it's just folklore would be a halfway decent fix.

Adding "it is said" to such entries to indicate it's just folklore would be a halfway decent fix.
Some of them already do, such as all of the creation legendaries' entries. HeartGold and SoulSilver's mention Sinnoh, which is a nice touch. The only normal Pokémon I can think of with an ambiguous entry like this is Magikarp in Diamond, of all things.

I've started to write a fanfic where the entire cast of Pokémon Masters becomes Pokémon. Please can you give me some ideas?
Gardenia - Decidueye (It's ironic because she dreaded the existence of a Ghost/Grass type. Also, they both have a green poncho thing.)
Karen - Umbreon (I wanted multiple Eeveelutions so I could have a character say "We Eeveelutions need to stick together.")
Misty - Vaporeon (Reference to another fanfic.)
Whitney - Jigglypuff (It's like Clefairy, but still a Normal-type. Also a reference to a fanfic I've deleted.)

Last edited:
I think the fandom mocks the pokedex way too much. Yes, there's a ton of absurd ones, but out of 800+, there are way, way more that are either perfectly reasonable/mundane, or extremely interesting and equally plausible.

I think the fandom mocks the pokedex way too much. Yes, there's a ton of absurd ones, but out of 800+, there are way, way more that are either perfectly reasonable/mundane, or extremely interesting and equally plausible.
Image result for thank you meme the office gif

haha, I live to please. It really is unfortunate, because the Pokedex is a great place to start when trying to flesh out pokemon as major characters, but the fanfiction community is so quick to ridicule you for using the pokedex and usually writes it off. I've seen it here even.

That reminds me, in Silver Resistance, the main character sees a Marowak without his skull on, who then explains that it's a myth that they all wear the skulls of their dead mothers. His skull is a Charizard's. (How old is that theory that Cubone is an unlit Charmander?)

pokedex entries can sometimes be fascinating and provide great background information you wouldn't guess at.

The pokedex absolutely has great entries, as I've said. It's mostly Gen I that gets flak for nonsense entries, and rightly so - cubone's in particular makes no sense if the species has any chance of breeding at replacement rate. I don't want to give the impression of contributing to some anti-canon circlejerk, here.

What're some of people's favourite pokedex entries? I've always liked this one about espeon:

An Espeon is extremely loyal to any trainer it considers to be worthy. It is said to have developed precognitive powers to protect its trainer from harm.

and flygon's:

Flygon whips up a sandstorm by flapping its wings. The wings create a series of notes that sound like singing. Because the "singing" is the only thing that can be heard in a sandstorm, this Pokémon is said to be the desert spirit.

I also really love when dex entries subtly reflect time passing across generations! For example, absol gets entries in Gen 3 about how its appearance is always followed by disaster, hence "disaster pokémon". In USUM, the dex entries say "one ought to be grateful for it." and "The elderly call it the disaster Pokémon and detest it, but interest in its power to predict disasters is on the rise." which I like very much. Lapras also finally stopped being endangered!

These Pokémon were once near extinction due to poaching. Following protective regulations, there is now an overabundance of them.

That entry makes me really happy.

I also like how the PokéDex entries in Gen 7 say new things about a Pokémon, instead of reiterating the same things again.

Did you know that some Gen 4 Pokémon have only ever had four unique PokéDex entries?

I like a lot of pokedex entries, but my favorite silly ones are all of espurr's, which imply that the cute lil catto is a hair trigger psychic nuke that will wipe out the town square at a moment's notice

Can't say I agree there.

Has anyone else noticed how pokémon with barely-contained power are extremely prevalent? Golurk is another one - if the seal breaks, it goes berserk and levels the place, iirc.

well, goes with the theme of pokemon being absurdly powerful for their size and shape in general

Back
Top Bottom