• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Yeah, that's an approach I'm following with bosses in my story, too, with each boss requiring a different strategy to take them now.

Dealing with a "healing spammer"? Block their Recoveries with Heal Block or Taunt, or drain their energy with Leech Seed and poison. Having trouble with a speedster? Go with paralysis and Psychic Terrain. Status user? Keep your Heal Bell Pokémon away for quick healing.

Yeah, that's an approach I'm following with bosses in my story, too, with each boss requiring a different strategy to take them now.

Dealing with a "healing spammer"? Block their Recoveries with Heal Block or Taunt, or drain their energy with Leech Seed and poison. Having trouble with a speedster? Go with paralysis and Psychic Terrain. Status user? Keep your Heal Bell Pokémon away for quick healing.
Oh, what kind of story are you working on?

@Greninjaman A Pokémon Mystery Dungeon one.

I wish I could give an example of fighting smarter from Doctor Who right now, but it's 10pm and I can't think of a good one. All I can say for now is that in Doctor Who, which is FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY™, killing the bad guys is treated much more seriously than in The Sarah Jane Adventures, a spinoff for kids. (And kids' shows in general.) In one episode of the latter, two old ladies blow up a human and a space vulture through the power of stock footage, and the Doctor is totally okay with that.

Heck, Pokémon is about fighting smarter. Even if you're weak, you can still win through type advantages and/or Baton Pass chains. I wanted to explore this theme in a Digimon crossover once.

I might have mentioned this before, but have you ever heard of Equestria Daily, the online My Little Pony newspaper? I wish there was a site that put the spotlight on Pokémon fanworks like that. Or a site for uploading them. I could never run a website. I understand that Bronies are a younger and thus closer-knit fandom where every fan knows about specific websites, but still.

Two weeks to Sword and Shield! Hoping to get two or so chapters posted before the 15th, because I sure won't write for a week at the least come then, haha. What's everyone plan on getting, if you're getting it at all? Gonna snag Sword myself.

Don't have a switch and I'm dead broke, so I won't be getting either any time soon :p

If I were getting one, I'd still wait until I knew more about version-exclusive content before grabbing a copy.

I'm not massively enthused for Sword and Shield, or any game released this year. I haven't bought a mainline Pokémon game since 2016. I'll wait for a price drop.

I don't really know how I feel about Sword and Shield right now, to be honest. Last time around, I was so excited about Sun and Moon that it was literally a day one purchase for me (the first and only time I've ever done that for a video game). But now, the only thing that's really driving me towards picking up one of the new games is that it took me a long time to actually finish Sun and Moon, which meant that I ended up being "behind" on the franchise as a whole while also having to avoid spoilers all the time (with mixed results). I really don't want to go through that again, but I also don't want to feel "forced" to play the new games immediately solely because of that, either.

Actually, pretty much the only thing that I'm sure about is that it won't be a day one purchase for me this time, at the very least in case we get another Lumoise City save bug fiasco or something like that (this is the era of the $60 beta, after all). Oh, and in case the story ends up being more Kalos than Unova this time, if you know what I mean...

weirdly enough my dad brought up these new games just as i'd opened this thread and seen the messages about it. it's a good thing i told him my opinion on it and that i don't want him to get it for me in case he was thinking of it, because he was (because he's a sweet dad and i love him). i just would've felt really guilty if he got it and i didn't enjoy it.

swsh will be the first mainline non-sequel games that i will not be getting a copy of, at least not on launch - i might change my mind later if i hear really good things about it. the reason is that, after replaying white 2 and then starting a replay of X some months ago, i realized that i'm just really not a fan of 3D pokemon (core) games. somehow they just feel a lot more cumbersome and boring and, well, we do all know the difficulty has dropped in these latest gens. i looked forward to playing more of W2 when i replayed it, but X felt like a chore. i remember sun feeling slow, too, and i just didn't care about it much after i beat it. neither gen 6 or 7 left much of an impression on me region-wise, while unova is very near and dear to my heart. in terms of pokemon designs, though, there's a lot in 6 and 7 i love, and i'm looking forward to seeing what this one has in store as well.

there's a silver lining here, though: because i won't be worrying about getting spoiled, i can follow the twitch plays pokemon stream as they do their run of it and actually participate again after a year or so of being too busy or uninterested. hopefully i'll be drawing stuff for it and the other community members will be glad to see more of me, too. i was somewhat of a big fish back in the day.

EDIT: i will however be getting luigi's mansion 3! always loved the original and finally tried the sequel, liking it a lot too.

Last edited:
Anyone else excited for Death Stranding?

I would be, if only I had anything that could play the thing. Everything I've heard about it sounds fantastic, but sadly it looks like I'll have to be giving it a miss.

Probably also won't be picking up any new games soon just because I have my hands so full at the moment. Still playing a lot of Fire Emblem, and I'm not quite ready to set it aside for something else just yet. That and also working on my tabletop RPG when I get time and a handful of other projects I'm supposed to be doing. And hopefully I'll have a job soon to break all that lot up some more. So I won't go for Sword and Shield anytime soon, probably, could very well be months or years until I actually get around to it.

Hey, anybody have advice on novelizing a roleplay? I was thinking of doing that to a roleplay I'm in (and made) that I really like.

Back
Top Bottom