• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Remember when people complained about Lucario being overexposed? Because nowadays, it's Charizard.

Also, I just completed a script for a "review" of Rise of Darkrai. I'll revise it later - I don't want it to feel like a scene-by-scene recap - but right now, I'm trying to think of a witty title card. In my Indigo Riffs on Things series, the meat of the video begins with a black screen with some witty text that's vaguely related to what I'm reviewing. Can anyone think of something? And what do you think of the other episodes?

complained about Lucario being overexposed?
I still love Lucario.

And I can't help you with a witty title card. Maybe some play on nightmare or dream. I'm not sure how good the movie was so if it isn't all that good you could definitely do something with nightmare.

@BackSet Maybe a pun on Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land? I can't think of one, but I could play music from it at some point.

If you're wondering why I do that, it's a reference to an abridged series called Nullmetal Alchemist. At the end of every episode, there was a title card that was different to the title of the video.

I personally like Lucario. Overexposed as he is, you can't deny he's pretty useful. Lucario came through for me a lot in certain games.

So, the weirdest thing happened earlier today. So, my dad and I are outside raking the leaves, right? He's using a leaf blower and I'm raking the leaves and putting them at the curb of my street. All of a sudden, this random, brindle pit bull came running up to us out of nowhere! Off leash, I might add. It was a real sweet dog who just came up to us and was happy and running around all over the place. But I'm standing there wondering: Where the heck did this dog come from? I see two people trying to catch up to it, and I ask them if the dog belongs to them. It didn't, and they were just good samaritans trying to catch it and see if it had identification. Thankfully, the dog did and they called its owner, who came to pick it up shortly after. I don't know what happened exactly, as I couldn't hear the conversation over my dad's leaf blower, but I can only assume the dog must have accidentally escaped from its owner somehow, maybe broke out of its enclosure or saw an animal and chased it. I dunno. But the owner picked her dog back up and everything went well for everyone.

I want to like lucario, but I just have too many quibbles with the design. I've seen some cool redesigns, but I prefer to keep "fixes" quite subtle, and in that vein I stitched together the following image from composite images created by more artistically talented anons.

Thumbs up to anyone who can spot all the changes without looking up a reference image.

From what I can tell, spikes are gone, ears are different, legs are less "pants like" and the tail is more natural. Am I missing anything? Lucario was one of my old favorites so I'm a little embarrassed with myself if I'm missing something obvious

As for my opinions on lucario, I'm not really a fan of that particular redesign. Some of my least favorite pokemon are the ones that don't have any defining features to make them stand out, and this version of lucario looks a lot more... I dunno, generic?

I want to like lucario, but I just have too many quibbles with the design. I've seen some cool redesigns, but I prefer to keep "fixes" quite subtle, and in that vein I stitched together the following image from composite images created by more artistically talented anons.

View attachment 129091

Thumbs up to anyone who can spot all the changes without looking up a reference image.

Okay, all without any reference: The legs haven't got those weird short things, for one, or at least they look more natural. And are the ears bigger? Seem so, though I'm not certain. And I see the sort of 'twist' from its tail is gone, shame, I quite liked that. Aside from the aforementioned spikes, that's all I've got. How did I do?

Real question though, and at some point in my life I need this answered, why is Lucario not Fighting/Psychic? All its Pokedex entries refer to psychic-like abilities, and it learns a significant number of good Psychic moves, but not all that many good Steel moves. And Aura Sphere seems to me like it was designed to be a Psychic move, but changed because there wouldn't have been any niche for it.

Really, I do like Lucario, although I vastly prefer it as it is in Smash rather than in any actual Pokemon games. I love its animations in Smash, they look so acrobatic and well-practiced. Contrast that with its bland 'standing upright, arms at its sides' pose from Gen 6 onwards. And all the issues I have with its typing and the moves it does and doesn't learn (Zen Headbutt but not Iron Head, random Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse, Bullet Punch restricted to an egg move, and so on). Yeah. Okay, rant over.

Smash Lucario and Pokken Lucario are the best Lucarios. End of discussion.

(Though Blaziken could kick both their asses any day).

Pokken is a really fun game, and definitely has my favourite depictions of Pokemon battles. The fights are fully animated in 3D, so they're much more visually interesting than in the core games, and the real time system makes the action a lot more dynamic and fast paced. Not to mention each Pokemon has lively, unique animations for every single one of its moves. Pokken battles really feel like battles.

I wish we could get that level of detail in the core series, but with over 800 Pokemon it's unrealistic, to say the least...

I wish it didn't have the switch mechanic, though. It get's frustrating when I'm landing some good combos in 3D mode or whatever it's called and then switch to classic fighting game mode where all my hard work dissapears.

Pokken is a really fun game, and definitely has my favourite depictions of Pokemon battles. The fights are fully animated in 3D, so they're much more visually interesting than in the core games, and the real time system makes the action a lot more dynamic and fast paced. Not to mention each Pokemon has lively, unique animations for every single one of its moves. Pokken battles really feel like battles.

I wish we could get that level of detail in the core series, but with over 800 Pokemon it's unrealistic, to say the least...

I love Pokken, for just about the same reasons. My only real gripe with the game is that they didn't go further with the more unorthadox choices, like chandelure and suicune and later aegislash. There are plenty of pokemon out there that would have loved the representation and are also not bipedal humanoids.

Also they totally should've added bisharp

Ever since Sword and Shield came out, I've been bitten hard by the writing bug. I'd be thrilled with such a development were it not for the fact that I have a queue of unfinished one-shots on my laptop for Granblue Fantasy because for some reason or another I thought writing four individual fics concurrently was a good idea. Then there's that Undertale multi-chapter fic I haven't touched since the first quarter of 2019. To top it all off, I've undertaken editing duties on a fellow Touken Ranbu fan's ongoing fanwork for the series.

What can I say? I'm a total mess.

Oh jeez I feel that.

Let's see...

There's a remake of Unwanted Journey, Cyrus Falks (thankfully I'm doing that one for both here and writing class so that makes getting it done easier), Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone: Annotated Addition, and a couple of original stories I'm working on.

I just noticed that Archive of Our Own includes "version" in the titles of main series Pokémon games after Gen 5, and it bothers me on an irrational level. And why do they list the Japanese and English names? Shouldn't it only show whatever language it's set to? The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon character tags don't even use the official romanisations. Pokémon is the only game-based franchise I've seen that does this. The only English-speaking Pokémon fans I've seen who use the Japanese names are people who talk about the anime on forums, and it's not like Digimon where people hate the English localisation. Has anyone ever read a Pokémon fanfic that consistently uses Japanese names? /rant

I bring this up because I wanted to see what roles people were giving Gen 8 Pokémon in fanfics, but AO3 is mainly about shipping humans. I'm still hoping that someone will make a Pokémon version of Fimfiction, and I don't think I'd have the devotion to run a website.

As for my fanfics, I'm slowly writing a PMD/Digimon oneshot using someone else's characters (I asked for permission), and have ideas for some multi-chapter fics.

Back
Top Bottom