• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm probably not doing anything for Christmas. I dunno why, but I'm just not feeling it this year, and will actively resist my family's attempts to inject me with their filthy merriment.

I think Plot Armor becomes noticeable (and an issue) when the character's survival isn't because of them or their allies efforts, but because of luck. Often I see the criticism used when the character's survival seems too implausible.
For example, there was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation were both series regular Geordi and Random Character of the Day were shot during a surprise attack. Geordi is injured but survives, the other guy bites it. That's plot armor; Geordi only lived because he's more important as a character.

Basically, have the characters survive by them and their allies efforts, not just good luck.

Last edited:
For example, there was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation were both series regular Geordi and Random Character of the Day were shot during a surprise attack. Geordi is injured but survives, the other guy bites it. That's plot armor; Geordi only lived because he's more important as a character.
Here's some head canon here: Geordie never died when getting blasted, because every other interstellar power knew how easy it was to brainwash him to do bad things to the crew/ship and simply stunned him. Admittedly I can only remember the Romulans doing that, head canon is meant to be shaky and easily disproven, right?

I think Plot Armor becomes noticeable (and an issue) when the character's survival isn't because of them or their allies efforts, but because of luck. Often I see the criticism used when the character's survival seems too implausible.

Basically, have the characters survive by them and their allies efforts, not just good luck.
Thanks.

Building a setting is something I've been trying to work on for a while now, so that sounds pretty fantastic to me personally. God knows I could always use more advice. So yeah, I say go for it, sounds a good idea.

Not even as a secular holiday?
Hm... we don't close our family business for Christmas because the neighborhood/customer base is comprised of very observant Jews. No one in my immediate family isn't Jewish; there's no purpose in doing anything different from the norm. Besides, when you live in a major urban center like me, you just come to find Christmas Day clout irritating. Might as well not bother.

My mom once suggested that retail workers should have the 26th of December off because people can do shopping online, and they're overworked enough. What do you think?

My mom once suggested that retail workers should have the 26th of December off because people can do shopping online, and they're overworked enough. What do you think?
Not a bad suggestion. The thing is, we don't do online sales: we're purely brick-and-mortar, so that doesn't do us much good.

Speaking for the retail staff (Well, as retail staff) , it doesn't bother me that much. Last year I got double pay for what turned out to be a relatively straightforward day. But I do find the Christmas creep as retail staff headache-inducing. I was being told about the Christmas range in August, for a mid-September release. These days most retailers push this rubbish out before Hallowe'en is even over. And of course, as staff, you have to weather the constant bombardment of advertising for, well, stuff at work as well as at home.

Who here would be interested at all in a thread or two on worldbuilding by yours truly, updated gradually over 2020? Stuff like mapmaking and conlanging as well as everything to do with thinking up a rich setting.
I think this would be a very interesting and useful thread.

I finished the first chapter of my Pokemon two-shot at two o'clock this morning. It's gotten over 250 views so far, which is a record for me. I'm really pleased! I haven't started the second part yet, but I certainly hope to later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom