• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I might do if any of my early work was really online - I didn't know sites like fanfiction.net even existed when I wrote my first stories, and a lot of my subsequent fiction was for good 'ol pen-and-paper RPGs, so it was inconsistently digitised.

I mean, I suppose to an extent you do have to stick to your convictions. The problem with writing long stories is the temptation to keep revisiting and improving older chapters ... even when those 'improvements' really amount to little more than small changes in style

Anyone else get the urge to expunge their entire writing history from the internet?

I used to keep my older works on the internet as a reminder of where I've come from and the changes I've made in my writing style, but I've developed this strange feeling of detachment to it, like none of it really represents me anymore. Problem is, I'm struggling to replace the old works with new works.

I have this annoying issue of thinking up an idea, lingering on it (or being pulled away by work or something), and then whenever I get around to developing the thing, I feel like it's out-of-date and people won't be interested anymore. I guess that's why I admire writers who can work on one thing for such a long time, even as the world goes on.
None of my early work is really online but I did expunge most of it from my docs.

Anyone else get the urge to expunge their entire writing history from the internet?
I've actually done that before, although it wasn't so much the quality of the writing that bothered me as the person revealed in the Author's Notes.

I find that expunging the past can lead to a fixation with keeping the record pristine, even starting over many many times. I recommend accepting past imperfections as best you can and pushing on.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all! I hope the new decade treats us all better than the last. Let's make it a good one.

I returned to work today, expecting a cornacopia of "Wow, haven't seen you in ages! How was your Christmas?"

Instead, the first thing my supervisor said to me was: "This morning has been a nightmare."

I work for one of those glamorous "top 10 in the world" universities, in one of their unglamorous warehouses for excess library books. Their libraries get student requests for books, which are forwarded to us. We then find the books they want, crate them up, and send them off.

Well, this morning, those requests were made but didn't arrive on our systems. The information had to be handwritten, which takes a while when you have 66 requests.

After all that, the courier no-showed.

Resgined to a day of labelling books, I trudged to the upstairs office. There, I discovered the only printer we have that prints labels is broken - just as we left it two weeks ago before Christmas break started.

I got up at 6am for this.

Anyway, how has everyone's first day back to work/school/college/uni/life been?

Well, I'm in retail, so I hardly stopped over the Christmas period. I acknowledge that the SALE signage is often ambiguous in my department, but customers are becoming increasingly creative in their efforts to misunderstand it to their benefit. It's a myth, at least in the UK, that a mispriced item has to be sold for that price ... especially when the signage on the shelf clearly says something like "LED Snow Angel" which obviously has nothing to do with the fluffy gonks sharing the same shelf space

I began writing my story from the point of view of N and walked out of it with a much better understanding of why people dislike him. Not quite what I expected to happen, but OK. I don’t think I appreciated quite how messed up his mindset was until now. Oh well, we can work with that.

yeah I’m writing but very very slowly

I've seen at least three Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfics on this site where the subtitle is in the format of "X of Y-tion" - Hands of Creation, Instruments of Creation, and Pathways of Aspiration. While I've lost interest in reading fanfics that aren't Fullmetal Alchemist AUs, I recently came up with another PMD/Digimon crossover. I might post it here AND AO3 if it gets going.

And here I am, breaking the mold with a story titled “Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Delta Dossiers.” :p

While I've lost interest in reading fanfics that aren't Fullmetal Alchemist AUs, I recently came up with another PMD/Digimon crossover. I might post it here AND AO3 if it gets going.

A PMD Digimon crossover could be interesting. Heck, you could even have the humans turn into Digimon and have them explore the web in the form of “Dungeons”.

@Cresselia92 Interesting, but that's not what my story is about. Mine is about Digimon turning into Pokémon, and vice versa. You can read about it here. It was inspired by artwork by Hawktalon, who also came up with something similar to your idea.

That being said, I'm not sure if writing fanfics is right for me. I've mainly been focusing on writing the script for what could best be described as a rant-review, and I'm really enjoying it, mainly because I've taken the time to think about how to put these year-old feelings into words. Maybe I force myself to come up with fanfic chapters too quickly?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom