• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

It's a myth, at least in the UK, that a mispriced item has to be sold for that price
This makes me think of my mother, who always says "I don't see a price on it so it must be free" every. fucking. time. No one has done more to put me off of shopping than her.

It's a myth, at least in the UK, that a mispriced item has to be sold for that price
That's a thing in the US too, but most of the time it's a joke. A very, very terrible joke. Nobody find it funny anymore.

In other news, I'm planning on writing a continuation fic of Phineas and Ferb picking up directly after the last episode, with the characters going back to school. I'm unsure if I want to write it conventionally or as a script.

While working in a charity shop, I once had a lady try to buy a £100 framed and signed pencil rendering of a local landmark for £1.00. Absurd. She was perfectly serious, and I was perfectly pissed off. People will try anything.

You know how I complained about AO3 putting Japanese and English names in tags a while ago? Because I got over that, but I just found out that the tag for Warrior Cats is "Warriors - Erin Hunter", not "Warrior Cats | Warriors". Consistency? What's that? Also, did you know that Shingeki no Kyojin and Attack on Titan are separate categories on Fanfiction.net?

Well, no tagging system is going to be perfect. People are going to use the same term in different ways. A lot of things have more than one name and that’s going to cause more confusion. And then there’s variant spellings and so on. That leads to a bunch of inconsistent, duplicate, and variant tags, and I don’t think there’s any way to avoid that as long as humans are using tags.

On a related note, I once I saw a fanfic whose fandom was tagged as "Pocket Monsters: Explorers of Darkness". It redirected to "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky", but it's still odd, because tags on Archive of Our Own are usually autocorrected.

Speaking of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, I have several ideas for a PMD/Digimon crossover, and now I feel like writing an epilogue to a story I haven't written yet and work backwards from there. I just realised that the reason why I procrastinate on fanfics more than video scripts is because I'm a very visual person. I can picture the conversations, but all I can write down are the characters standing around and talking because cartoony movements don't look good in prose. Meanwhile, in videos, I'm talking as myself and can use visual aids.

Not that I don't sympathise with a bit of light pedantry, but the tagging systems of other fanfiction hosts besides this one don't make for accessible light conversation, @Nitro Indigo.

Some off-the-top thoughts on tackling your fanfic writing problem: maybe try imitating a writing style you enjoy reading, or perhaps scripting a scene you're visualising and then convert it to prose line-by-line?

Hope everyone else is well enough. January is an unglamorous sort of month, and I personally would love if the new year began during the springtime, but that's in line with just the sort of nonsense timekeeping system we have, huh? Twelve months with any old number of days each. What a calendar.

But we need these arbitrary holidays to get us through the dark and dreary days. Don't know if I like that they're all piled into December though. Personally I'm already looking forward to spring. Kinda done with going to work in the dark before sunrise and coming home in the dark after sunset. Only gets easier from here, I suppose.

I ought to live somewhere where the days and lights are of roughly equal length year-round, where it's nice and cold, and yet still pretty sunny.

Not many places matching that description. Mars, maybe, ha. (With the fun bonus of half an hour extra per day, to suit my awful sleeping cycle.)

I like these shorter days. When they start getting longer again, the sun shines straight onto my computer screen in the evening (and all afternoon when it gets to summer proper), which is a bit inconvenient.

That aside, apparently there's going to be a new Pokemon Direct in a couple of days' time. I won't say I wouldn't have rathered have a regular Direct, but I guess it's fair enough if that's not what they want to talk about. Not entirely sure what they'll have to talk about so soon after Gen 8's release, but I guess it's not a long wait to find out. DLC, perhaps, if that's the route they want to take?

Pledging to participate more in the forum this year. Hold me to it, fam.

Wishing you all the best in your writing endeavours for 2020.
1578410314812.gif

this is the true best ending

Today I wrote a song.

It's not a good song but, eh, what are you gonna do? I'm not a composer or musician.

I've got so much I need to do urgently that I'm actually beoming less productive out of a sort of mental paralysis. What do.

However, yesterday was wonderfully sunny, and it finally feels like Spring is coming soon, with all the good feeling and wellbeing that entails~!

Spring's still a good couple of months away if I'm any judge, though I'm quite sure the first Spring flowers will be coming up soon.

I've got to start selling off some more of the books and models I really am not likely to use again - not least because, despite my best efforts, January is becoming financially tight again

@Beth Pavell Spring certainly isn't here yet, but I tend to spend the first months of the year straining towards it. Anyway, best of luck with the sell-off - I've done exactly that recently to help with the budget, so to speak.

@BackSet There's a different best method for everyone. Writing exercises for their own sake, the equivalent of stick figure doodles, are a good way to warm up and get the brain working. I think block has more to do with general wellbeing than anything though, so my actual #1 recommendation is a good night's sleep.

Back
Top Bottom