• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Going to some kind of social event tonight at a local company's offices - I understand it's some alternative take on the interview process. Let's hope it leads to a job!

I'm very much treating it as an interview in disguise! Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, my work with maps is starting to pick back up again now that I've been getting a bit more daylight recently. SAD is on the way out~

Anyone else find themselves writing best at odd and frankly inopportune times, and finding it very difficult when it's most convenient? I seem to have developed a habit of writing better on my tablet in bed last thing in the evening than at any other time.

Yeah, I get that all of the time. Most of my writing is done either in long stretches while staying up too late, or in tiny sprints five minutes before I need to go to bed. Earlier today I actually forced myself to write even though it was only the afternoon and it felt weird as hell.

I get that. I only seem to be able to write late at night (past 11 PM or midnight) and considering I've been going to bed at 9 PM lately... Well, that's a big part of why I haven't written anything (worth sharing) in the past month.

Last edited:
My issue with writing is that if I think "oh hey, I've got some time to write properly" I paralyse myself. I wrote best when I'm in more of a "let's just get a sentence or two out" mode. Contributing further to that, we tend to be more creative when less inhibited, and tiredness can do that to a person.

I have an announcement to make! I'm running a little competition alongside Word of the Week - the first person to guess the connection between the last seven week's words will win a free review from me! Here's those words again:

abstemious, facetious, abstentious, acheilous, anemious, caesious, annelidous

Mods are banned from entering, because they already know the answer. This will be run simultaneously on Discord, so post your guesses either here in this thread or in the #writing channel on Bulbagarden's Discord

I realised today why I feel compelled to rush fanfics on Fimfiction: I'm more active on it, and it's more social than AO3, so I worry that my audience will get impatient.

My favourite places on this site and Fimfiction have been dead since Friday, which is a shame, because it was International Fanworks Day yesterday.

There's an International Fanworks Day? I wasn't even aware. Is anything usually done to mark the occasion, or is does it end up as another of those days that slip by unnoticed?

So I've been brainstorming ideas for one of my fanfics, and I came up with an idea: disabled Pokémon. I don't know if I'll end up using her because I don't want too many characters, but I came up with a shiny Bayleef who had her neck-buds ripped off by poachers. As a result, she can't use moves such as Vine Whip and Sweet Scent, because they involve things coming out of the buds. If she were to evolve, she wouldn't have a flower. I've previously had an idea for a Pikachu who couldn't use electricity, but I never did anything with her.

I have some disabled pokémon characters to come in my fic! I think disability is a really interesting and important topic that doesn't get touched on enough in fiction except often in fairly ableist ways.

I have a physically disabled (human) character in my current fic (well the still in progress Chapter 4 more precise). Though I've still been struggling to properly explain it but the character in question is a minor character that I figure I can skim over it and have it explained later as there is another chapter I have currently planned that he will appear in, which will probably give me enough time to explain.

I've also considered giving a canon character a mental disability, since this isn't a certainty yet for me so I'll share with you guys. I was considering giving Jovi, the sister of main character Michael of XD: Gale of Darkness a form of Asperger's Syndrome or Autism, due to her speaking in third person which is sometimes seen in autistic people. While I'm not on the spectrum or an Aspie (though I have been theorised to be an Aspie by my friends with Asperger's themselves, but no official diagnostic), I have known people with mental disabilities like Aspergers and I've personally known some Special Ed kids from my school. But I will probably not be going down this route due to my feeling that I won't do any people on the spectrum justice and possibly changing Jovi too far or just ruining Jovi into base-breaking character.

But Jovi is not being introduced until late volume 1, so I got long ways to plan her changes since the seven years in story since Gale of Darkness.

Back
Top Bottom