• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm not really sure if this really counts as a writing question but I need advice and since it's about a story I'm writing.

Anyway, so the long story short of the matter is that one character is teaching three other characters about teamwork. The way she does this is that she challenges them to beat her. She is much stronger than the other three and the only way to beat her is if the three work together, hence teamwork lesson.

So I was wondering, should I have her challenge each one to beat her individually, with each of them failing due to being alone against a much more powerful opponent, before challenging the three of them all together or should I have her challenge all three of them at the same time only to screw up because they're bad at coordination and teamwork?

I'm not really sure if this really counts as a writing question but I need advice and since it's about a story I'm writing.

Anyway, so the long story short of the matter is that one character is teaching three other characters about teamwork. The way she does this is that she challenges them to beat her. She is much stronger than the other three and the only way to beat her is if the three work together, hence teamwork lesson.

So I was wondering, should I have her challenge each one to beat her individually, with each of them failing due to being alone against a much more powerful opponent, before challenging the three of them all together or should I have her challenge all three of them at the same time only to screw up because they're bad at coordination and teamwork?
Hmmm, I think I'd go with the latter option, myself, to really drive the point home (three on one isn't enough unless they cooperate well), though it depends on what sort of "power scale" the setting uses.

I've been playing DX ever since it came out, even with its amped up difficulty curve. I seriously love how it lets people rescue you over the internet. Seriously, that's been a lifesaver in the difficult dungeons!!

This month and late last month have been unusually busy in terms of game releases I'm interested in but I've put a good bit of time into Rescue Team DX (I was actually planning to replay the original this year before it was announced).

There's a lot that I love about DX besides the general graphical and audio quality improvements! I like the quality of life features , the mechanical changes, the intimidating boss cutscenes, and so on. It's great stuff. I just beat the main story yesterday!

Honestly, this will sound silly but one of my favourite changes in DX is that your partner still follows you around in the post-game now. It always seemed strange to me that a large amount of the story had the close friendship between them as a theme, then they vanish in the end and basically become a "generic" like the random party members you picked up in dungeons.
Also I shipped HeroXPartner hard by the end, so them separating was disappointing in that regard.:p

Being able to change leader from the start is probably my favourite from a game play perspective.

Been working at home the last couple of days because of the coronavirus pandemic. It's been a weird experience so far, but I've got plenty of time to get used to it.

I'd prefer to ignore it, but circumstances dictate I have to at least keep an eye on it.

In other news, the library trip turned out to be a bust. An Introduction to Buddhist Meditation turned out to be a random farrago of theology and history, at best tangentially linked to meditation, peppered with technical terms in Sanskrit that the author only bothers to explain about a third of the time. I have no idea who the book is intended for, and I suspect it only got published at all because she teaches (Taught, with any luck) at Oxford University

Ugh. I'm having focus issues. I keep switching from writing one thing to another thing. Within the same story no less.

I'll be writing one chapter and say "nah this isn't working" and go to another chapter etc etc.

Any advice for that?

Ugh. I'm having focus issues. I keep switching from writing one thing to another thing. Within the same story no less.

I'll be writing one chapter and say "nah this isn't working" and go to another chapter etc etc.

Any advice for that?
Don't sweat it. Give in! Go with the flow. If you're totally stuck on something, well, sitting around trying to figure it out is being unproductive. If you're moving onto other scenes in the meantime, you are being productive and can think about it on the side.

You'll get it done eventually, and there are distinct advantages to writing ahead that going completely linearly can't capture, to the point that I honestly believe there's little valid reason to actually strictly do so.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes you just can't push through the next step of the story, but there's no shame in working on the later stuff. You'll have to get to that point eventually, may as well save yourself some work in the future.

Just don't be me and avoid writing the next chapter for six months, and then drop the story entirely and invalidate all of that work >_>

Back
Top Bottom