• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I sometimes write something besides what I ought to be working on for a while to stay limber while I process the block. It eventualyl works out and I get back to it, so long as I just keep writing.

While I don't have writers block for my ongoing fic I'm putting it on hold so that I can actually finish Fire Emblem: Three Houses instead of writing just based on Crimson Flower and brief snippets of spoilers.

I'm struggling to get back into Three Houses myself. I loved Crimson Flower, but playing Verdant Wind afterwards felt quite weak by comparison, I rather lost interest some months ago. I should get back to that.

There's a concept for a fanfiction I've had in the back of my head for a few years, but never been certain on whether or not to write it. It centers around a beginning Trainer who eventually meets a Pokémon capable of using Battle Bond.

There's a concept for a fanfiction I've had in the back of my head for a few years, but never been certain on whether or not to write it. It centers around a beginning Trainer who eventually meets a Pokémon capable of using Battle Bond.
Have the bond grow as the journey goes on. Perhaps the first time it happens, it does not last long and the person passes out instantly. By the end, the person can handle the strain of the battle bond.

Will it be a standard journey fic or something else?
That, I'm still not sure, to be honest. Assuming that by 'standard' you mean with the Gym Leaders and such. And for the record, the region I always had in mind for it was Kalos, the Battle Bond partner, Hydreigon.

...That already sounds a bit weird, doesn't it?

I'm struggling to get back into Three Houses myself. I loved Crimson Flower, but playing Verdant Wind afterwards felt quite weak by comparison, I rather lost interest some months ago. I should get back to that.
And that's why I'm just recruiting all the Black Eagles.

Golden Deer play off each other well but alone they're bland.

Also, I'm getting a little bit of writing done. Yay.

That, I'm still not sure, to be honest. Assuming that by 'standard' you mean with the Gym Leaders and such. And for the record, the region I always had in mind for it was Kalos, the Battle Bond partner, Hydreigon.

Not really since you had one in the Capture the Shiny Cosmog thing we did a while back. Plus I know that is like one of your favorite Pokemon. Kalos also makes sense as the region for the story.

It doesn't. Especially not compared to other fanfiction on this website (Pokemon x Kingdom Hearts crossover for example), but even without this comparison, it isn't a weird premise on its own.
Do you plan for any other Pokemon than Hydreigon to have Battle Bond? I mean, if it's Hydreigon having a Battle Bond specifically what's worrying you, giving it to other Pokemon would normallize the issue.

Not really since you had one in the Capture the Shiny Cosmog thing we did a while back. Plus I know that is like one of your favorite Pokemon. Kalos also makes sense as the region for the story.
The whole concept was, in fact, a recycling of the idea, when I considered it scrapped. Now, I'm having thoughts of writing it anyway.

The reason I chose Hydreigon was that it shares the spot of my #1 liked Pokémon overall with Greninja, and it felt too much like an anime ripoff if I actually chose Greninja for it.

Do you plan for any other Pokemon than Hydreigon to have Battle Bond? I mean, if it's Hydreigon having a Battle Bond specifically what's worrying you, giving it to other Pokemon would normallize the issue.
No. Having another Pokémon with it as well feels too contrived.

The whole reason it feels weird is because it seemingly clashes with it being, well, the 'Brutal Pokémon' so much.

No. Having another Pokémon with it feels too contrived.
How so, exactly? Is it because of the 'moar' syndrome? (Which is exactly what it sounds like: the more you have of anything, the less emotionall value it can give)

The whole reason it feels weird is because it seemingly clashes with it being, well, the 'Brutal Pokémon' so much.
Wouldn't be the first time that happens (Gates to Infinity). In fact, it can be the main source of the conflict - Hydreigon is brutall and repulsive, but he has to learn to co-operate with his trainer and constrain his impulses. That kind of story materiall is also possible outside of the reallm where Hydreigon could learn Battle Bond though, so...

How so, exactly? Is it because of the 'moar' syndrome? (Which is exactly what it sounds like: the more you have of anything, the less emotionall value it can give)
Basically, yes.

Wouldn't be the first time that happens (Gates to Infinity). In fact, it can be the main source of the conflict - Hydreigon is brutall and repulsive, but he has to learn to co-operate with his trainer and constrain his impulses.
Hmm...

Less is more when it comes down to writing this in prose fiction. You're likely going to have to be showing the emotional bonds there more than telling that it exists through what are essentially adapted game mechanics. I would be wary of diluting the emotional core of your story
Which reminds me of a plot point I conceived back then. After one BB usage where Hydreigon sees its Trainer get hurt from the shared pain, it wants to be away from him temporarily.

Important announcement: I will now be making all my posts in IPA, for total clarity of pronounciation.

hɛˈləʊ, ˈɛvrɪwʌn!

aɪ həʊp juː ɑːr ɔːl æz ɪkˈsaɪtɪd æz aɪ æm tuː siː ðə ˈmɛni ˈwʌndəfʊl ɪmˈpruːvmənts tuː ˈaʊə kəˈmjuːnɪti təˈdeɪ. ˈmɛni θæŋks tuː ˈaʊə stɑːf tiːm fɔː səˈpɔːtɪŋ ðə ʧeɪnʤ frɒm ə pokémɒn ˈfɔːrəm tuː ə laɪt bʌlb ˈfɔːrəm.

ænd lɛts ɔːl hæv ə raʊnd ɒv əˈplɔːz fɔː ðə WW mɒd tiːm fɔː kəˈrɛktɪŋ ðə ˈspɛlɪŋ ænd ˈgræmər ɒv ðə sʌb ˈfɔːrəm neɪm ænd ɒv ˈstɪkid θrɛd ˈtaɪtlz.

kənˌgrætjʊˈleɪʃənz!

ænd ˈhæpi ˈeɪprəl fuːlz.

Back
Top Bottom