• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

So...question. Does anyone know of any good ways I can describe the outfit Zoey wears in this picture here?

612px-Zoey_Grand_Festival.png

The reason being that I'm writing a character who wears a similar outfit, only its pink instead of green, and I'm not sure of how to really describe the outfit, particularly the half-cape, half-shirt thing on Zoey's right side that almost covers her arm. Does anyone know what that's called?

It looks like a really long Pauldron. Like the one the sandtrooper in charge wears in A New Hope.

Alternatively, it's just a cape.

Hi! I’d love some friends who love writing and Pokémon. :3 I love fanfic and want to write some myself. I am also want to write for neopets

You've come to the right place, I should think, particularly if you like Pokémon fanfic

So...question. Does anyone know of any good ways I can describe the outfit Zoey wears in this picture here?

I'm pretty sure that's an anime garment - i.e: made up. I wouldn't consider it worth the effort of trying to describe as-is, so I'd probably settle for a cape worn over one shoulder (That was relatively common during the Renaissance, I think ... I'd have to go back to the history books)

The reason being that I'm writing a character who wears a similar outfit, only its pink instead of green, and I'm not sure of how to really describe the outfit, particularly the half-cape, half-shirt thing on Zoey's right side that almost covers her arm. Does anyone know what that's called?

I believe the cape would be refer to as asymmetrical in this case, though I may be incorrect.

Have obviously had more time at home lately, and I felt home sick for this place.

what’s new around here?
Nothing too much, business as usual. There's a new trainers of fanfiction thing going on right now. Personally, I've returned to the writing game for the first time in years, though. Making perfect pace, too!

And? What's new with you?

Boy, it's been ages since I last posted in this thread. But given the situation with the rampaging virus (and the even bigger rampaging plague, Trump), it's left me to do a lot of thinking... as otherwise I'm going crazy from being cooped up. I'm a recluse to begin with, but even I have limits to how long I can stay in one place. But enough of that, I wanted to discuss a possible idea regarding my beta series, Chaos Rising.

As I said a good while ago elsewhere in this forum section, I've been trying to decide on certain arcs that fit between where Chaos Rising is currently at, which is Celtic and his crew adjusting to working with Delgunner Kingdom after spending the entire first season as fugitives from the Light Elf Kingdom, as well as getting their final party member, and the potentially biggest scenario being the Chaos Chimera arc. ATM, Celtic is cleaning up even MORE messes that the other four Heroes have caused, though I'm on the last one at the moment. Due to dabbling in old games while brainstorming I decided to try this particular idea that would eventually build up into the Chaos Chimera arc.

Basically, Sylph (for those who haven't been keeping tabs on my other posts in this section, she's the main villain's right-hand demon woman) steal a powerful artifact from one of the 9 Elemental Lighthouses. The Elemental Lighthouse are special, well, lighthouses, that govern the natural flow of elemental energy in Zakota, with one lighthouse for each element (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Lightning, Nature, Ice, Light, and Dark), as they were designed to keep the flow stable. Sylph, in her quest to help speed up Infinator's revival, steals the Light Gem from the Light Lighthouse (yeah, very creative name), which causes the Light energy that it was keeping stable to basically erupt like a volcano. There are two reasons why she did this: 1) Infinator feeds on Light energy, as he's a Light-attributed demon, so with more Light energy flowing, the more he can absorb to increase his power, and 2) the Light Gem can further supplement his restoration rate by acting like a focusing lens and help harness his rather erratic energies into a more controlled state. Celtic is forced to don special gear called the Moonshadow Gear, which is special Shadokor-designed gear that blocks intense Light energy (think the Umbra Gear from Golden Sun Dark Dawn), so he and his party can approach the now out-of-control Light Lighthouse to place a replica Light Gem in the original's place as a temporary fix until the real Light Gem can be retrieved.

Now, this sounds like a one-chapter situation, right? Well, it does have long-term effects. For starters, it ends up "reviving" a long-thought extinct race of elemental beings called Spiria (essentially like Djinni, only with more elements, and they generally can't talk, at least outside of their own language). Because Spiria are immensely powerful and can grant various abilities to whoever wields on, their discovery starts an arms race of sorts between Infinator's forces and the various kingdoms, as the more Spiria that one side has, the better and more diverse abilities they can have. However, Spiria are somewhat fickle, as there is only two ways to win one over: 1) it approaches you on its own accord or 2) besting it in one-on-one combat. Generally speaking, however, the first option is the better one, as even besting it one-on-one will not guarantee its complete loyalty, as they can be very willful. Naturally, Celtic is the one who first finds and bonds with one, albeit unintentionally, as that particular Spiria, a Wind variant, took a liking to him and hitched a ride without him knowing until it started "snoring", alerting the party to it and, ultimately, alerting the world to their return. This results in the aforementioned arms race as both sides try to find and "bond" with Spiria to bolster their chances at winning. This also has the unintended side-effect of certain kingdoms trying to use the Spiria to become the "top brass" of Zakota (Delgunner Kingdom is currently in that position), starting other problems like renegade knights and potential wars, which, on top of the current situation of Infinator, is a recipe for disaster. Therefor the five Heroes have to quell those fires before they get out of hand... only for the Sword, Spear, Axe, and Bow Heroes to screw up and make things worse. Again. Forcing Celtic to fix the situation. Again. This will ultimately result in the revival of the Chaos Chimera at the hands of the other four Heroes, which leads to even bigger disasters.

That's the stuff I've thought of recently. Does this sound like it could work out? Thanks in advance and take care everyone.

Nothing too much, business as usual. There's a new trainers of fanfiction thing going on right now. Personally, I've returned to the writing game for the first time in years, though. Making perfect pace, too!

And? What's new with you?
What’s trainers of fan fiction?

What’s trainers of fan fiction?

It's an annual (I think...?) showcase of people's characters from their Pokemon fanfiction. Last time, it was done in the format of artwork and interviews of each character, which I assume is the same this time around. Ironically enough, "Trainers of fanfiction" this time won't feature any actual trainers - the submissions this time around are meant to be of non-trainer/coordinator characters only (like policemen, office workers, nurses, etc). :p

@Nitro Indigo
I personally enjoyed A Graceful Serpent. There's ten chapters to read through, but it's incomplete and hasn't been updated since 2018.

Summary:
When Kairi, a fifteen-year-old girl, encounters a Milotic, she becomes the beautiful water-type's servant in retaliation to other trainers. Stripped of her memories, Kairi learns to be a loyal servant to the Milotic, just as the Milotic perceived Pokemon under trainers to be. Will Kairi prove Milotic wrong, or will Milotic stand firm to her own beliefs?

Last edited:
I want to post what I have for a story I've been working on in the samples thread, but there's a rule to give advice to the last person who posted if they haven't gotten any yet. I'm pretty much a novice, so I don't feel like I am qualified to try and give any advice/criticism. I've been stuck trying to decide whether or not to post something for a few days now. What should I do?

I agree with Beth. Even if you're not as eloquent as others, that's no reason to think you don't have anything to offer. I write reviews for various media on my blogs and occasionally comment on fics, and even I struggle with giving good advice and critique despite having practiced for years. Most writers are happy to receive any kind of review or critique, so whatever you have to say, I'm sure they'll appreciate it regardless of your experience with concrit.

@Greninjaman That question is far, far too broad for someone to easily answer in a comprehensive way.

Anyway, maybe check out the cliches thread for examples of what people are tired of reading.

Otherwise, just write something you want to write, man.

Back
Top Bottom