• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

@myuma No offence, but I'm not interested in that fanfic because the premise seems iffy.

(The rest of this comment isn't targeted towards just myuma.)

I'm getting burned out on My Little Pony now, and I'm currently interested in alternate universe fanfics, specifically ones with the same characters as canon. Do you know any good Pokémon ones? I know there's Ashes of the Past and Reset Bloodlines, but it's hard for mega-long fanfics to keep my attention.

Also, is there a Discord server for Pokémon fanfic writers?

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of a Pokémon fanartist called Hawktalonflame or Night-Owl8? She hasn't been online for over a week, and I'm worried about her.

Damn. I've been having troubles again and am in need of help.

For the past few days I've been saying to myself "this is the final draft of this chapter. Once I finish it I will go through it for spelling errors and then post it before my perfectionist side gets the better of me and deletes it in its entirety."

And now my perfectionist side has gotten the better of me. Or rather, my "is this enjoyable" side has. To make a long story short: I'm writing a Fire Emblem: Three Houses peggy sue fic (for those who don't know, a peggy sue fic is a fanfiction where a character goes back in time, either by accident or on purpose, and attempts to fix or change the future so that death or other bad things don't happen) and in order to get to the more interesting (read: the parts where things really start to change) parts of the plot I have to go through essentially a recap of the first hour or so of the game and I was having a bit of fun writing character interactions, despite the fact that they're basically just conversations from the game rewritten in my style.

But I'm getting towards the end (maybe) of the chapter and I keep thinking to myself "is this really enjoyable to read? Am I enjoying this?" I mean, I was enjoying writing some parts but it's just a lot of dialogue (albeit, funny dialogue) that recaps the beginning of the game.

I don't know what to do!

So I have a question.

What do you guys do when you have multiple (long-term) stories you want to write but you don't know which one to put out first? Do you like, make drafts, put out pilots to see which one is more popular? I severely struggle to pick one and start on it cause I have like 5+ others I also want to do.

So I have a question.

What do you guys do when you have multiple (long-term) stories you want to write but you don't know which one to put out first? Do you like, make drafts, put out pilots to see which one is more popular? I severely struggle to pick one and start on it cause I have like 5+ others I also want to do.
In my case I do some rough drafts--not full chapters, but write out some scenes and plot outlines--then decide which one I think I'd most enjoy writing.

I can't say I'm especially good at juggling. I tend to reserve my long writing times to my longest and main story, with side projects getting those times when I can't sit down to a proper writing session for whatever reason.

If I'm being honest, it's saner not to juggle unless the side projects really are side projects

So I have a question.

Oof, I wish I knew.
Generally, I write for one as inspiration seizes me, but if you want to do several at once and not sure which one to start... I dunno, I'd suggest putting them in a randomizer and having that one pick for you. You could try working on one for a set time limit and switching to another, too.

On a note from my end, I've just finished talking to someone about portraying an OC for a future Pokemon fic correctly, and I'm feeling super confident and excited!

So I have a question.

Constantly switch between stories until I drive myself insane and give up. Then I start the process all over again.

Yeah, hence why I don't want to juggle but just do them 1 by 1 but I will probs have died by old age by then, hence why I'm not sure what to do.

Yeah, hence why I don't want to juggle but just do them 1 by 1 but I will probs have died by old age by then, hence why I'm not sure what to do.

I mean it will take forever to get through them all anyway. Just write whatever you feel most like writing at that moment. If you're not sure then just coin toss it. That's what I do at least. If you're motivated by maintaining a following though, it's probably best to just stick with one.

I think I'm weird in that I rarely have new ideas for stories. Most of my inspiration is for scenes or themes that I just force into the few stories I am writing. Often to their detriment, but hey... it keeps me writing (mostly).

Right now I'm juggling two stories and actively outlining ideas for three more. I'd love to work on them all at the same time, but it's just not feasible. As for how I chose which ones I'm working on, the first one is one that features characters that I've loved and cherished for over a decade, while the second one is a story I wanted to always tell (but with a new twist to make it more unique among my writing).

The ones I'm outlining do have enough in them to work on, but... I don't think they'd get any sort of readership, at least around here. Maybe one person, and that's a stretch. The other two at least have quite a bit of feedback, so that helped me decide which to put my full heart into.

The one project I'm considering taking on is the "indulgent journeyfic written tipsy" because of how low effort it would be, haha.

Back
Top Bottom