• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Uhhh...apparently Netflix is making their own Baby Sitters Club series that's due to come out next month.

The hell? Why are they trying to reboot Baby Sitters Club of all things? Those books have been outdated and out of print for years, some of them for good reason! I mean, the movie from the 90s was cute, but the series as a whole hasn't aged well at all. From what I've seen, some publisher is trying to put the books back in print and those didn't sell very well.

We live in a world of reboots and remakes, unfortunately.

Companies will snatch up whatever properties they can get their hands on and rebbot/remake them because those'll sell. Sometimes you get some good stuff like the first three or four seasons of Voltron: Legendary Defender or the entirety of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and other times you end up with bad stuff like Teen Titans Go! (to be fair, TTG! showed up before this trend. It's still horrible.) or Thunder Cats Roar (the 2011 reboot was fine, thank you very much).

Companies will snatch up whatever properties they can get their hands on and rebbot/remake them because those'll sell. Sometimes you get some good stuff like the first three or four seasons of Voltron: Legendary Defender or the entirety of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and other times you end up with bad stuff like Teen Titans Go! (to be fair, TTG! showed up before this trend. It's still horrible.) or Thunder Cats Roar (the 2011 reboot was fine, thank you very much).

I kinda like all the seasons of Voltron. But to each their own, I guess.

Uhhh...apparently Netflix is making their own Baby Sitters Club series that's due to come out next month.

The hell? Why are they trying to reboot Baby Sitters Club of all things? Those books have been outdated and out of print for years, some of them for good reason! I mean, the movie from the 90s was cute, but the series as a whole hasn't aged well at all. From what I've seen, some publisher is trying to put the books back in print and those didn't sell very well.

There's actually currently a couple of graphic novel authors (Raina Telegamer and now Gale Galligan) who have been making a graphic novel version to the Babysitter Club series. Just based off the sales and how much of the product the bookstore I work at gets, I think the series is doing pretty well. If this Netflix series came up because of this graphic novel reboot, I would not be surprised.

If they reboot stuff to get rid of the bad and problematic parts, I'm not too beaten up by it. My problem with reboots or continuations of something long dead is when they get rid of the soul and charm of the original but keep the bad -- or even worse, add the bad.

I'm looking at you, Picard.

Edit: I should clarify that I went into that show expecting it to be completely different from The Next Generation, and it certainly was. They also had some nice ideas, it's just... Kurtzman and his posse are incapable of telling a good story. So it's not like I'm an old stuffy fan who just wanted TNG season 8, like most other critics of the show.

I finished a multi-chapter fanfic for the first time two weeks ago, and I wanted to continue writing, but I've been affected by burnout over the past few days. I started writing an MLP oneshot and planning an Animal Crossing one, but I've lost my trains of thought for both, especially the latter. Another problem is that I have a hard time asking for input on non-MLP fanfics. What should I do?

@Greninjaman I'm just going to copy-paste something I wrote on Fimfiction.
A roleswap is a fanfic that takes place in an alternate universe where canon characters have always had each other’s roles, but are still otherwise themselves. For example, a fanfic where Spike is the Element of Magic and Twilight Sparkle is his assistant - but Spike is still a plucky, young dragon and Twilight is still a bookish, older pony - would count as a roleswap.

Roleswaps are not to be confused with other kinds of swaps, such as gender (Spike is a dragoness and Twilight is a stallion), personality (Spike is bookish and Twilight is plucky), species (Spike is a pony and Twilight is a dragon), age (Spike is older and Twilight is younger), or body (Twilight screws up a spell that makes her switch bodies with Spike for a day). However, these can overlap with roleswaps.

Hope everyone's holding it together. I'm finding myself increasingly scattered, but I believe I'm on an upwards spiral now. Being more productive, and participating in Artfight!

I'm watching the latest episode of chuggaaconroy's Rescue Team DX let's play, and he says (about Sun and Moon) that "you don't need world-ending melodrama to tell a compelling story." That's good advice. Several of my original fantasy story ideas have gotten stuck because I felt like I had to include a video gamey "save the world" plot.

Personally, massive global stakes are a great way to kill my interest in a story and its cast. It's too huge. I care so much more about a hero going "I've just realised I've left a vulnerable friend with someone untrustworthy" or "I was in the wrong when I made that social faux pas" than I do about a hero going "I've decided I'm going to try to save the world, you know, instead of letting everything and everyone in the world get obliterated." It's sort of a no-brainer, after all. Most of the characterisation you can get from that is to do with showing courage in the face of high odds, and I've seen that a billion damn times now.

I was just thinking about your reply, and it reminded me of a scene in Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil where a character says you don't need a reason to save the world.

Also, should I rejoin the Discord server? I only used the writing channel there, and I was still mostly an observer because I feel like you have waaaay higher standards for your writing than me.

Back
Top Bottom