• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

hi!

I had a small question--I was going to ask in the The Writers' Workshop Rulebook thread, before realizing it was that very same thread for the second part of the name, the active Informational Hub!, so I figured I'd ask here.

I don't write, and while I may have engaged in some "worldbuilding", it's in the very loose sense of the idea, consisting of various flitting ghastly skeletal things that you can't really touch. I was considering just writing small bits, without strict requirements or commitments on myself, but give myself small concrete steps.
My question would be where it would be appropriate to place it, if I didn't intend to write a full-length chapter for each segment?

I had two small ideas in mind. One was a personal thread for an unrelated collection of short prose, which mostly would not feature the pokemon verse. The other idea was mostly focusing on maybe a more pseudo-naturalistic exploration of the pokemon verse, focusing not so much on a narrative conflict, as a look at the habitats of pokemon or just the places in the pokemon world.

Last edited:
@Rainfall Thanks for asking! We love a bit of good worldbuilding around here.

Since it sounds like you're writing this "in-universe," my recommendation is that you post your worldbuilding in the main writers' workshop forum as a fanfic, with an appropriate rating and any necessary content warnings. We have a fic like that, composed of in-universe articles, called The Alola Dex, if I recall correctly.

If you want to discuss worldbuilding out of character, we have a [worldbuilding] flair for threads in the Written Word subforum.

Welcome to the forum!

In one of the Discord servers I'm in, people came up with a prompt where a character is trapped in a laundromat/laundrette for two weeks, and all the washing machines contain portals to other worlds. I really like this idea.

I don't exactly know if this is the right place to ask this but...

In the weekly updates they keep misattributing one of my fanfics to other people. Who do I talk to about this?

It seems like once a week, there's a new Pokémon crossover on Fimfiction that falls into one of two categories:
  • Humans-turned-Pokémon in Equestria, usually Eeveelutions or canines.
  • A generic Pokémon journeyfic that happens to have Equestria Girls characters in it.
For ages, I've wanted to write a Pokémon/MLP crossover that challenges the clichés I don't like.

In one of the Discord servers I'm in, people came up with a prompt where a character is trapped in a laundromat/laundrette for two weeks, and all the washing machines contain portals to other worlds. I really like this idea.

I really like this idea.
This reminds me of two other portal world spaces that make use of water:
- The place between worlds in The Magician's Nephew, from The Chronicles of Narnia series, and
- The portal spaces on each planet, that take the form of literal water channels, in One Last God: Kubera.

Last edited:
i guess eeveelutions are kind of similar to mlp ponies in general. roughly same silhouette, but with different details and pastel colors. sure, they're also popular, but those features make it simpler to map characters to them, i think. there are probably better matches in a pool of 900 candidates, but it can take a lot of thinking to find the best.

So I started writing a comedic Pokémon/Digimon oneshot. I thought it'd be able to quickly get it out in a week, but instead, I've only been able to write a few words a day, and now thinking about it stresses me out. I don't want to cancel it, but I don't want to publish something I'm unhappy with, and I'm finding it hard to find feedback. Please can someone help me?

I'm not sure this is the answer you'd want to hear, but here it is: discipline. You push through it, keep working at it. It might be that you don't finish it as quickly as you expected, but unless you're on a deadline, that doesn't matter.

If you want feedback, then there are several ways to get it on this forum - the Samples Thread, Simple Questions (I know you're aware of that one), buying beta reads from the Review League

I considered scrapping it and rewriting it from the ground up... and then I realised that I'm forcing myself to write a fanfiction based on things I'm not currently interested in.

Writing the protagonist's reactions to an anti-villian's actions conflicts me.

Just calling out the AV's actions seems reasonable. He stops his partner from attacking the man.

Have you ever been inspired to write something just to prove that an idea could work? I wrote Silent Wings because I liked to jokingly think that My Little Pony trying to teach sign language wouldn't work... then started seriously wondering how they'd do it.

Back
Top Bottom