• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Have you ever been inspired to write something just to prove that an idea could work?

This is how my story The Meaning of Ambition started. It was supposed to be a quick oneshot about “What Nobunaga would do if he were to face N?” and “Dragons fight, so cool!”, and then it turned into a chaptered fiction as I explored other ideas and did a character study of both.

So yeah. I get that.

I...I think I understand what my problem is regarding longer stories: Perfectionism.

I just read an article online that talked about it. The points listed include:
1) Lack of satisfaction, because it's never good enough.
2) Inability to stop editing and move on with it, because it's never good enough.
3) Aggravated fear and stress at the thought of the story going public, because it's never good enough.
4) Feeling that the story is a failure, because it's never good enough.
5) An absence of fun and joy, because it's never good enough.

I feel like Points 1 and 2 apply the most to me. Does anyone have any advice on overcoming them? One that I myself can think of is this: taking things slowly.

Sometimes I deliberately write something "bad" so that my expectations are lower, or I impose time limits so I can't edit indefinitely.

So I have a question. I've been thinking about making a collaborative project in which anyone can join in where we make a fake Pokemon game. It's not actually going to be coded or anything, it's just a concept.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'd put something like this. Is it appropriate for Creative Corner or should I put it somewhere else?

I have yet another question (unbelievable, isn't it).

How do you guys decide when to release chapters? Do you just release them when their done or do you have a set schedule?

I have yet another question (unbelievable, isn't it).

How do you guys decide when to release chapters? Do you just release them when their done or do you have a set schedule?
I always post a new one when the chapter is ready. What if you spot a massive error in the chapter right before you post it at the scheduled time? You would need to push the time back in order to fix it. Have no scheduled time means you can take your time.

yeah its right out the oven for me too, unless by some miracle i get it done considerably faster than the rhythm i've been posting them in before. then i'd rather wait a bit to make it match the others and work on the next in the meantime.

I plan on releasing my next chapter on Halloween, A. because it's Halloween and since I don't go trick or treating for reasons I need to do something to celebrate it, even if the chapter isn't spoopy. and B. because I kind of think people are probably sick of my rapid fire posting.

Something I've wanted to write for a while is a story about a human who is transformed into a creature that's sapient, but nevertheless animalistic. Not only do they have to learn how to walk again, but they have to deal with new senses, instincts, diets, and (ahem) courtship. I want to use this concept for a Pokémon fanfiction, but I can't think of a premise that doesn't rely on my crutch of making it an MLP crossover. Any help?

Something I've wanted to write for a while is a story about a human who is transformed into a creature that's sapient, but nevertheless animalistic. Not only do they have to learn how to walk again, but they have to deal with new senses, instincts, diets, and (ahem) courtship. I want to use this concept for a Pokémon fanfiction, but I can't think of a premise that doesn't rely on my crutch of making it an MLP crossover. Any help?
Some Pokemon are considered sapient.

Syglif, Clefairy, and Alakazam to name a few.

On a completely different subject, what swears and how many would you guys consider appropriate for a teen rated fic. Obviously slurs are right out but other than that I'm unsure.

On a completely different subject, what swears and how many would you guys consider appropriate for a teen rated fic. Obviously slurs are right out but other than that I'm unsure

By the letter of the rules you can use as many curses as you like in a TEEN fic, so long as they're not slurs, as you've already noticed. We've deliberately not made any more restrictions in the rules - but if you want a matter of personal opinion I try to limit the good old f-bomb to no more than once or twice per chapter

Back
Top Bottom