• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I mean, the Ben 10 fandom has fics shipping a 10 year old with a 20 foot tall cyborg squid warlord so... yeah, don’t underestimate the internet.

Honestly I think Vilgax is more 16-12 feet tall....but yeah.

Also 'abusive or forceful in romance'......why would you write that? Especially if it is meant to be the ship. Like it's not like writing Drew as a slapping cheater to make Advanceshipping 'better', it's adding that to Ash x Paul because......turnips?

Also 'abusive or forceful in romance'......why would you write that? Especially if it is meant to be the ship. Like it's not like writing Drew as a slapping cheater to make Advanceshipping 'better', it's adding that to Ash x Paul because......turnips?
A lot of people do that in stories. Making characters look bad in order to put other characters in a better light. You see that a lot with many characters, though it typically happens within shipping stories.

Also, @KrspaceT, I don't think you're really a fan of "harems" in the japanese terms, but rather polygamous relationships. The way you're describing it is a bit of a romanticism of the genre, which led me to believe you don't like harem relationships specifically. Unless, of course, you're going for harem in the extreme traditional sense...which still actually leads back to polygamy.
Harem as a genre is different from its actual definition. It's like the term, "Mary Sue"-there's nothing inherently wrong with it as a concept; but as a genre, it's extremely harmful. Especially when it comes to harems. So, my advice would be to introduce your story as one with polygamous relationships rather than the tag of harem!Ash thing-it's less offensive that way(again, unless you're going for the traditional term for harem dating back to Arabia, but people mostly see the word 'harem' and connect it to the harem genre in ANIME and MANGA, especially in fanfiction, so I advice you do this).
Using harem as a tag just implies that your story might treat the females as objects, but by the way you're describing it...that doesn't seem to be the case. So my advice is to describe your story with polygamous relationships instead...word usage can change entire meanings of a story, in all honesty.

A lot of people do that in stories. Making characters look bad in order to put other characters in a better light. You see that a lot with many characters, though it typically happens within shipping stories.

Also, @KrspaceT, I don't think you're really a fan of "harems" in the japanese terms, but rather polygamous relationships. The way you're describing it is a bit of a romanticism of the genre, which led me to believe you don't like harem relationships specifically. Unless, of course, you're going for harem in the extreme traditional sense...which still actually leads back to polygamy.
Harem as a genre is different from its actual definition. It's like the term, "Mary Sue"-there's nothing inherently wrong with it as a concept; but as a genre, it's extremely harmful. Especially when it comes to harems. So, my advice would be to introduce your story as one with polygamous relationships rather than the tag of harem!Ash thing-it's less offensive that way(again, unless you're going for the traditional term for harem dating back to Arabia, but people mostly see the word 'harem' and connect it to the harem genre in ANIME and MANGA, especially in fanfiction, so I advice you do this).
Using harem as a tag just implies that your story might treat the females as objects, but by the way you're describing it...that doesn't seem to be the case. So my advice is to describe your story with polygamous relationships instead...word usage can change entire meanings of a story, in all honesty.

It's labeled as Harem-Multiship mostly because, alas, Harem is the most searched term. The Multiship part establishes what I am aiming for, but I am interested in getting found and searched out.

Passed a million views recently actually and is now my most reviewed (2263) and alert tagged (2786) on FFnet by the way. Happy to see that.

(And yes, I am aware of the term differences and what I prefer to find, multiship, over harem. But, again, I like being found by the curious for the genre).

I'm pretty sure you're both thinking of polyamory. Polygamy is being married to multiple people, who may or may not know each other.

Polyamory - "the practice of engaging in multiple romantic (and typically sexual) relationships, with the consent of all the people involved." (from Oxford Languages)

Polygamy - "marriage to more than one spouse at a time." (Britannica)

Harem - "(in former times) the separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants./the women occupying a harem; the wives (or concubines) of a polygamous man./a group of female animals sharing a single mate./(derogatory) a group of women perceived as centering around a particular man." (Oxford Languages)

Harem (genre) - A genre of anime, manga, light novels, etc. wherein "a young man (usually) is surrounded amorously by members of the opposite sex. Hilarity, and often Fanservice, Ensues." (TV Tropes)

If One were to write a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon story, how does one write a Pokemon with no limbs carrying a bag? Like, how does a Pokemon like, Koffing carry something? Zubat at least has its legs. What about Quadrupedal Pokemon?

If One were to write a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon story, how does one write a Pokemon with no limbs carrying a bag? Like, how does a Pokemon like, Koffing carry something? Zubat at least has its legs. What about Quadrupedal Pokemon?

Well, they probably wouldn't carry bags, then. Either that or another pokemon would help them sling said bag over them(though that feels more like making the pokemon with no ability to grab anything as a carrier). OR, you could make up some special type of bag that pokemon with no limbs can use. I just think they wouldn't carry bags.

Well, they probably wouldn't carry bags, then. Either that or another pokemon would help them sling said bag over them(though that feels more like making the pokemon with no ability to grab anything as a carrier). OR, you could make up some special type of bag that pokemon with no limbs can use. I just think they wouldn't carry bags.
I think bags that are made specifically for them makes the most sense. Of course, the design would depend on the Pokemon.

So, I need a bit of help here. I'm making a roadmap for one of my stories, and I need help on making a character's family tree...and it needs to be as unnatural as possible. The character is a female inteleon and her father is an Alolan Ninetails, while her mother is a Sylveon. Her Grandmother, from her mother's side, is a Mienshao, while her Grandfather from her mother's side is a Lucario. Espeon is her uncle, as is Jolteon-and Dunsparce is mates with Jolteon. Her aunt from her dad's side is Weavile, and Zoroark is Weavile's mate-her cousin, the son of Weavile, is Sirfetch'd. I'm trying to make a broad family tree, since the basic character background for Inteleon is that she works for the Secret Service due to her family working with said service for generations-hence why nobody in the story knows who is related to Inteleon or that they all share a familial information network(family is the best informants).

How would a protagonist who is mute (much like the protagonists of the games) work in a fan fiction?

Depends. You can make him have 'dialogue' by him talking in his thoughts or have him communicate in another way like very overexaggerated in other ways.

RWBY for example has a character who is completely mute, but her body language and facial expressions more than make up for it and make her even more lively than most characters that have dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom