• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

The second one works, lol. But I don't think you would describe a kiss as "dull" or "boring". Just feels like it wouldn't fit..."emotionless", perhaps? Maybe something like, "the kiss felt empty"? Or maybe even "stale"? :unsure:

I wasn't originally trying to write passionless kissing, but this reply just might be the final motivation I need to write that one Arranged Marriage/Loveless Marriage Steven x Malva story I've been meaning to write (don't ask please don't ask).

You would think that after four or whatever years of being a shipper, I'd know how to write kisses besides "they kissed passionately"
What about just "They kissed."

Or, if you need to describe it you could say "They kissed, and it was the best damn kiss [character] had experienced in a long time."

wait wait wait I've got a genius idea: WWSSD (What Would Steven Stone Do?) If you don't know how to describe something, use rock similes and metaphors:

"The kiss was like garnet; bold, flaming, deep."
"He was angry, like a flaming ball of igneous rock in lava."
"The day was a big, drab block of granite."

This is quite possibly the worst writing advice I've ever thought of

How does one go about writing a story where the seasons are out of wack and the main character can control them with a magical rod (I am of course talking about Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons)?
It depends. I'm sure, say, common folk might not be too keen on sudden cold snaps that they weren't prepared for. How does it affect factors like crops? Does the person with the rod have benevolent intent? malevolent? Intent on the plain of Blue and Orange Morality? How extreme do seasons get?

It depends. I'm sure, say, common folk might not be too keen on sudden cold snaps that they weren't prepared for. How does it affect factors like crops? Does the person with the rod have benevolent intent? malevolent? Intent on the plain of Blue and Orange Morality? How extreme do seasons get?
That is true, but how would it work since in real life, the seasons are dependent on the movement of the earth, and it's relation to the Sun.

I realize the kissing conversation is over but I've come up with one I think is pretty clever.

"They kissed. A passionate, heartfelt, intense, emotional, beautiful kiss that made it increasingly clear the author is getting payed by the word."

Last edited:
That is true, but how would it work since in real life, the seasons are dependent on the movement of the earth, and it's relation to the Sun.
Is your story meant to be a more realistic interpretation of Oracle of Seasons (I'm assuming that's what the story is based on)?

Is your story meant to be a more realistic interpretation of Oracle of Seasons (I'm assuming that's what the story is based on)?
No, it's simply me making an observation about the mechanics of the game. How would the main mechanic of Oracle of seasons (where the player has control of the seasons and can change them) work in a fanfic?

No, it's simply me making an observation about the mechanics of the game. How would the main mechanic of Oracle of seasons (where the player has control of the seasons and can change them) work in a fanfic?
Maybe look into the lore of the game and draw inspiration from there. I did a bit of research on a Zelda wiki; it seems that Link encounters four entities called Season Spirits which give him the Season Rod. Perhaps you make it so that the Season Spirits are the ones that control the seasons, using their magic on a specific date to switch from summer to fall and so on. You could go a Painting the Frost on Windows route, to borrow a term from Tv Tropes, if you wanted to be more fantastical, for example.

Last edited:
Painting the Frost on Windows route, to borrow a term from TvTropes, if you wanted to be more fantastical, for example.
Off topic, but I went to that page to see if this one cartoon was on the page, then I found an entry for the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake cartoon (which I watched a lot when I was little), and I found out that this song exists???

I don't remember this??? What??? Why did no one tell me that old people besides the Purple Pie Man and that lady exist in the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake????
Thank you for helping me find out that this song exists.

Why are crossovers so hard to work with?
Numerous reasons. Different canons, different rules, sometimes vastly different in tone and direction, too many characters, etc. That and your reader audience is limited to whoever is knowledgeable enough on both canons in the crossover. It becomes more limited when there is more than two canons in the crossover. That only scratches the surface, though, as it tends to be very tough to find a logical reason for why characters from different universes would meet in the first place, especially considering, again, they come from different canons with different rules.

Back
Top Bottom