• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

So I'm stuck on "The Stage of Dreams"--I have already introduced the play the group is doing for their next stop, but for this play it is Ash's turn to use a bow instead of his usual one handed sword. I framed the last episode as a bit of a breather episode for a change of pace, so how do I pick up from a breather? Do I show the first readthrough of the script, parts of the rehearsal, parts of the performance, or parts of all three?

So I'm stuck on "The Stage of Dreams"--I have already introduced the play the group is doing for their next stop, but for this play it is Ash's turn to use a bow instead of his usual one handed sword. I framed the last episode as a bit of a breather episode for a change of pace, so how do I pick up from a breather? Do I show the first readthrough of the script, parts of the rehearsal, parts of the performance, or parts of all three?
I would say all three.

Also: do you post fanfiction on Serebii?

Would the term "bay" apply if instead of a body of water that is surrounded by land, it's a forest or like grassland surrounded by mountainous cliffs?
I would just stick to forest. "Bay" applies to "a broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inward".

Let's say you are writing a fanfic story based on a popular and well-known game like Ocarina of Time, would it make sense to describe Saria's appearance or should you not bother since Saria is a well-known character in a very popular game and just assume that the reader knows who Saria is.

The whole point of fanfiction is that the readers are already familiar with the source material; it doesn't matter how well-known it is.

Also, I just saw a Tumblr thread about how fandom should be about more than just fluff fics. It's not as harsh as it looks at first glance, and the last person shouts-out my second-favourite Animorphs AU, so that's nice too.

This is fascinating to read as someone who came from fandoms that thrive on lore discussions (among other things) and therefore haven't personally done much shipping nowadays. But said fandoms are also relatively small in comparison to, shall we say, the hot new trend of the month, so maybe consequently the attitude described in the thread just doesn't have as much chance to become anywhere close to prevalent.

In the context of trend, I wonder how much of it is also people simultaneously thinking "there isn't (a lot of) ship/fluff of this new thing I like yet", and it's probably also a question of the specific community culture.

Could a character be a villain if their motive is simply to protect their territory?
Just as an example of what I mean: Would Luxray/Manectric be considered villains even though the only reason they attacked the player and partner is that they entered their territory (Amp Plains) as opposed to something like wanting to cause the planet's paralysis (which of course was Dusknoir's motive)?

Could a character be a villain if their motive is simply to protect their territory?
Just as an example of what I mean: Would Luxray/Manectric be considered villains even though the only reason they attacked the player and partner is that they entered their territory (Amp Plains) as opposed to something like wanting to cause the planet's paralysis (which of course was Dusknoir's motive)?
In that case, I believe “antagonist” would be a better term. I could be wrong, though, but from my experience as an AP Lang/AP Lit person (logos lol), that’s my two cents.

In that case, I believe “antagonist” would be a better term. I could be wrong, though, but from my experience as an AP Lang/AP Lit person (logos lol), that’s my two cents.
While this is correct from the game's story's standpoint, consider the roles of "protagonist" and "antagonist" swapped. From the perspective of the Amp Plains tribes, any trespasser is the real "bad guy." While they did jump to conclusions, they're not necessarily bad people. They just misunderstood that the explorers are malicious trespassers.

The better term would be "anti-hero" in this case. A "villain" is typically someone whose major character traits are morally wrong (in a blatant fashion). Whereas, an "anti-hero" is someone who is not a villain, but possesses some villainous traits. Though the Amp Plains tribes did try to kill the explorers, their motive for doing so is somewhat justified; they're just defending their territory.

"Protagonist" and "Antagonist" are simply roles in the story. One is simply the person you follow through most of the story, while the other is in opposition to the protagonist. You can actually have a villainous protagonist and a heroic antagonist.

Back
Top Bottom