• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Writer's Workshop Rulebook (2011/02/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Stories can have sexual, excessively violent or other inappropriate content in the Writer's Workshop, but if they do, they must be properly labeled. This means attaching either 'MATURE' or 'TEEN' as a prefix to your fic. If you are in any doubt, use the older tag (but also, feel free to ask). A story that is not properly labeled may result in an inappropriate content infraction.
Characters dieing in a non-graphical way can be done without giving it a "Teen" or "Mature" label, correct?
Also if I don't mention sex at all, is mention of a prostitute okay in something labelled "Everyone"? Basically in my story there's a character who is a prostitute, but that's all. It doesn't mention her "work" or talk about sex or anything. Also I have a part that talks about a town with no laws, and is full of "thieves, gamblers, prostitutes, etc." Is mention of that okay or would I have to change the label to Teen or Mature?
Basically these parts aren't even important to the story so I could just not even include them if it'll require me to change the label.
And also fictional drug use... I made up a "drug", am I allowed to include that or would I have to raise the label to Teen or Mature?

It all depends on portrayal. Characters can and do die in works rated 'E', as long as it's handled tastefully. What earns a work its rating is not the content itself, it's how that content is shown to the audience. There's no real need to bump up the rating for mentioning death, prostitutes or whatever, as long as it's just that - a mention that doesn't go into any particular detail.

Drugs are an interesting one. If you make up a drug and show characters taking it - especially if it's shown to be harmful and/or addictive - then that's basically the same thing as showing them smoking weed or snorting cocaine or whatever. A rose by any other name's just as sweet, and when everything's worse, our work is complete. If your fictional drug has adverse affects akin to those of real-world addictive drugs, then yes, it would probably warrant a rating bump, especially if it's a focus of the story.

If it's just once off, though, you could probably get away with posting a brief warning at the start of the relevant chapter. 'This entry contains drug use and as such is rated T. Proceed with caution' or something to that end would likely suffice.

Should story previews go into the main Workshop forum, or the Writer's Block subforum (the preview is not an actual excerpt from the story, it's more of a "piece together sentences from here and there, and then add a summary" type of preview).

So what you're saying in Rule 10 is that the first post can have the index, then the second post needs to have the first chapter?

So what you're saying in Rule 10 is that the first post can have the index, then the second post needs to have the first chapter?

Yes, the first post can have the index, in which case the second post needs to be the first chapter.

The first post doesn't have to be the index. If it isn't - the first post must be the first chapter.

Yes, the first post can have the index, in which case the second post needs to be the first chapter.

The first post doesn't have to be the index. If it isn't - the first post must be the first chapter.

OK. I get it. Thank you.

Since the rule thread in the Atlas is closed, I'll ask here instead:

I want to post a map of the region my fic, the Clandestine Saga, will be taking place in, but the image file is way too large for uploading directly into a post on the forum. Is it okay for me to simply link to a different page where I've uploaded the image?

Since the rule thread in the Atlas is closed, I'll ask here instead:

I want to post a map of the region my fic, the Clandestine Saga, will be taking place in, but the image file is way too large for uploading directly into a post on the forum. Is it okay for me to simply link to a different page where I've uploaded the image?

That's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom