• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Writer's Workshop Rulebook (2011/02/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, well in that case, I'll start with my Zelda fic since my FE one is like, almost everywhere I go lol. I admit I prize it more than any of my creations. Doesn't mean I don't have a lot of pride in my other writings too though. ;D

Anyway, thanks for answering! I understand everything else, so I'm good now. :]

8. All chapters of a fic must be posted in one thread. You can edit your thread title to mention the last chapter posted. Sequels, prequels, spinoffs, splinters, etc., count as separate fics. Posting the chapters of a single fic in multiple threads can result in a multiple posting infraction.
=======
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but what if I had two separate stories in the same world, (both stories being multiple POVs) and I have one character go through a chapter with events relevant to both stories?

Another question is: Non-Pokemon one shots are still allowed, right?

Non-Pokemon one-shots are a-okay. Your other question is a little more complicated, though. Umm . . . if the stories are so closely linked that there are significant events that are important to both, why not just merge them into one story? They're already multiple-POV. That said, I don't really know anything about your story, so it's difficult to make a judgement without proper context. That aside, I'd say it should be fine to use that chapter in both stories. You see, the stipulation against 'posting the chapters of a single fic in multiple threads' as laid out in the rules basically exists to stop the annoying people who insist on making a thread for Chapter 1, a thread for Chapter 2, a thread for Chapter 3 and so on. If it's really important that the relevant events are covered in both fics, I say go for it. If you have a bit more time, perhaps you could even write the chapter twice, so to speak, making it somehow different (different POV, different emphasis, etc) to spice it up a bit. Not sure how well that'd work off the top of my head, though. Best of luck.

Okay... So I'm thinking of posting my fanfic on here (from Fan Fiction). The first installment is already done- Is the first post like a summary of the story? Then you post the first chapter no more than an hour after that? (yes?) What is an index and why is it necessary and how do you do that? Does the second chapter just look like another reply? Is that how it's supposed to be?

... Or should I just post the 50,000+ word all in one go... Though, that seems totally ridiculous. I, personally, think it would be easier to just... post the chapters separately, but one after the other. Or, should I just wait, say, 1 hour between each chapter?

(Yes, total newb. I tried looking at other stories and I have a small clue, but not really. Perhaps you could recommend a sort of 'model' story that follows all the rules?)

Okay... So I'm thinking of posting my fanfic on here (from Fan Fiction). The first installment is already done- Is the first post like a summary of the story? Then you post the first chapter no more than an hour after that? (yes?) What is an index and why is it necessary and how do you do that? Does the second chapter just look like another reply? Is that how it's supposed to be?

... Or should I just post the 50,000+ word all in one go... Though, that seems totally ridiculous. I, personally, think it would be easier to just... post the chapters separately, but one after the other. Or, should I just wait, say, 1 hour between each chapter?

(Yes, total newb. I tried looking at other stories and I have a small clue, but not really. Perhaps you could recommend a sort of 'model' story that follows all the rules?)

The first post is whatever you want it to be, but IF it doesn't include the first chapter/prologue, then you must post said first chapter/prologue within one hour of making the thread. All other chapters shouldn't be posted within three hours of each other unless you want to post the whole thing in one go (but posting chapters gradually tends to net more views). Regardless of how quickly you're posting it, each chapter should have its own post.

An index is a table of contents, where you should link to each individual chapter. I don't think anyone will really snap at you if you don't have one, but it helps. To find out what the link to each chapter is, just click on the number in the top right of the post.

Both of the fics in my signature follow the rules (although I don't think Unpredictable should have the prologue and Chapter One both in the first post). Misheard Whisper's two fics linked in his signature above also follow the rules (although, @Misheard Whisper : Your Champion Game banner link appears to be broken).

8. All chapters of a fic must be posted in one thread. You can edit your thread title to mention the last chapter posted. Sequels, prequels, spinoffs, splinters, etc., count as separate fics. Posting the chapters of a single fic in multiple threads can result in a multiple posting infraction.
=======
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but what if I had two separate stories in the same world, (both stories being multiple POVs) and I have one character go through a chapter with events relevant to both stories?

Another question is: Non-Pokemon one shots are still allowed, right?

Non-Pokemon one-shots are a-okay. Your other question is a little more complicated, though. Umm . . . if the stories are so closely linked that there are significant events that are important to both, why not just merge them into one story? They're already multiple-POV. That said, I don't really know anything about your story, so it's difficult to make a judgement without proper context. That aside, I'd say it should be fine to use that chapter in both stories. You see, the stipulation against 'posting the chapters of a single fic in multiple threads' as laid out in the rules basically exists to stop the annoying people who insist on making a thread for Chapter 1, a thread for Chapter 2, a thread for Chapter 3 and so on. If it's really important that the relevant events are covered in both fics, I say go for it. If you have a bit more time, perhaps you could even write the chapter twice, so to speak, making it somehow different (different POV, different emphasis, etc) to spice it up a bit. Not sure how well that'd work off the top of my head, though. Best of luck.

MW's reply is pretty good but just to clear a few things up. Essentially, he is correct in saying that the main reason for the rule is so that people don't create a new thread for each chapter. If you feel that your story is a new story, feel free to create a new thread for it, even if it is set in the same universe. Basically, it's up to your judgement but we don't want to see a new thread for each chapter.

The first post is whatever you want it to be, but IF it doesn't include the first chapter/prologue, then you must post said first chapter/prologue within one hour of making the thread. All other chapters shouldn't be posted within three hours of each other unless you want to post the whole thing in one go (but posting chapters gradually tends to net more views). Regardless of how quickly you're posting it, each chapter should have its own post.

An index is a table of contents, where you should link to each individual chapter. I don't think anyone will really snap at you if you don't have one, but it helps. To find out what the link to each chapter is, just click on the number in the top right of the post.

Both of the fics in my signature follow the rules (although I don't think Unpredictable should have the prologue and Chapter One both in the first post). Misheard Whisper's two fics linked in his signature above also follow the rules (although, @Misheard Whisper : Your Champion Game banner link appears to be broken).

Again, Aether has done a pretty good job of answering your concern but I'm just posting to clarify.

We used to have a rule that you had to post an index in your first post but we've changed that. Basically, your first post can be whatever you want it to be - you don't have to do anything. It is advised that you create an index, which you do by creating links to the individual posts of each chapter (of course, you can't do this until you have posted some chapters so don't worry about it too much!)

As for posting all your chapters at once... Yes, you can do that, though, as Aether said, they should still all be separate posts and you should post your fic straight into the Fanfics Archive rather than the main Workshop. I would warn you that, as may come as no surprise, people are unlikely to read 50,000+ words in one go so you may get less readers this way. (It does happen though so you can do it that way if you want.) If you do not post all of the chapters in one go, you must wait at least three hours between posting each chapter and, actually, I would recommend you wait at least a day. That's just my personal opinion though, rules say three hours is minimum.

Hope this has been helpful for both of you.

No no, thank you! It has. This is all very new to me and any and all clarification is appreciated. I decided to post one chapter everyday until I catch up with myself. At that point, I'll flip over to my weekly posting schedule.
I really kinda like how you guys do things here, I just worry that I'll forget one of the rules.

If I make a link to a chapter, is it possible to go directly to the position of that chapter instead of just to the same page? Or else, is it good to put the contents of the chapters in spoiler tags, so that they are all listed and can opened and closed as suits the reader?

Click the number in the corner of the post and then copy the url, that way it takes you to the exact post.

Try this

I need better understanding of Rule 10, how would you make an index?

Sorry, but I'm still at a young age and these words aren't coming at me right. I sort of need a simplified version of Rule 10.

Go ahead. :) I saw a few people asking the question, so I wrote it up one lazy afternoon. XP It's a bit disjointed, but if it works . . .

I've been thinking about writing a PokeShipping fanfic and posting it on here, but I have a couple of questions (I probably have more than this, but this is what I've got now). First, in regards to rule 5:

5. Writing stories based on or inspired by other people's work is not plagiarism. However, before using another person's characters or creations, you should obtain permission from them; and if they ask you not to, you shouldn't. Using another person's characters or creations after being asked not to may result in a copyright violation infraction.

Does this mean I have to ask for permission to use characters from Pokemon in my fanfic?

Also, I was thinking about doing some fanart for my fanfic. Is it okay to post fanart along with my fanfic here?

I've been thinking about writing a PokeShipping fanfic and posting it on here, but I have a couple of questions (I probably have more than this, but this is what I've got now). First, in regards to rule 5:

5. Writing stories based on or inspired by other people's work is not plagiarism. However, before using another person's characters or creations, you should obtain permission from them; and if they ask you not to, you shouldn't. Using another person's characters or creations after being asked not to may result in a copyright violation infraction.

Does this mean I have to ask for permission to use characters from Pokemon in my fanfic?

Also, I was thinking about doing some fanart for my fanfic. Is it okay to post fanart along with my fanfic here?

It's fanfiction, canon characters are expected! That rule is more for fics based off of other ones. Using Pokemon characters is fine without permission.

Fanart is perfectly fine, it's always cool to see some illustrations.

It's fanfiction, canon characters are expected! That rule is more for fics based off of other ones. Using Pokemon characters is fine without permission.

Aether is correct. That rule refers to using characters based off other fanfiction or original stories by users on this site (or on other fansites). You don't need to obtain permission from Pokemon or anyone like that.

As for fanart. Yes, you are allowed to post fanart as an accompaniment to your story, though if you want specific feedback and comments on your fanart I recommend also posting them in the Artist's Alcove.

Aether is correct. That rule refers to using characters based off other fanfiction or original stories by users on this site (or on other fansites). You don't need to obtain permission from Pokemon or anyone like that.

As for fanart. Yes, you are allowed to post fanart as an accompaniment to your story, though if you want specific feedback and comments on your fanart I recommend also posting them in the Artist's Alcove.

Great! Thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom