• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writer's Workshop Spring Awards 2012 Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
SpringAwardsHeader.png

Welcome one and all to the Writer’s Workshop Spring Awards 2012!

These Awards are going to work largely the same as the Winter Awards. If you weren’t here for the Winter Awards, or you just need a reminder of how things go, be sure to read the “RULES” tab below.

THE RULES:
Nominations

Every user can nominate two works, characters or users for each category. Nominate by simply posting in this thread. You cannot nominate your own work. Fics must have been updated since the last Awards (January) to be eligible for nomination.

There is no longer a ‘one shot’ category, or a ‘serial/chaptered/long fic’ category. One shots and serial fics are both eligible for any category. Length or form of a fic does not include or exclude it from being nominated anywhere.

Additionally, it is against the rules to ask people to nominate your fics. Doing so may result in disqualification from the Awards.

We are aware that many of the categories can be fairly subjective. You will not be penalised for ‘incorrectly’ nominating something. Just do your best to nominate it in the correct category.

The deadline for nominations is the 15th May. Nominations received on this date will be counted, any received on the 16th will not be.

Voting and judging

Every user can vote for the Best Reviewer and Best Newcomer categories. You cannot vote for yourself. The other categories will be judged by a panel of carefully selected judges. (If you would like to apply to be a judge please see the application form at the bottom of this post.) Voting and judging will open on the 16th and the deadline will be the 1st June. Results will be announced shortly after the deadline.

Awards

Users who win awards will be given a personalised banner that they can use in their signature, exhibit in a blog or do whatever they like with. Their banner, which will include their name and the name of their fics and characters, if appropriate, will be recorded in the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame.

They will also be awarded a Badge! Users who manage to obtain eight Badges over the course of every Awards season from now on will be entered into the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame as a ‘Champion’. Acquiring the same Badge twice counts as acquiring two separate Badges.

THE CATEGORIES:
REMEMBER: ‘One shot’ and ‘Chaptered’ fics are not categories. One shots and chaptered fics can be nominated in any category.

BestJourneyFic-2.png

Any work which centres around a journey or quest that involves travelling to specific places, including, but not limited to, collecting badges, contest ribbons and similar tokens of achievement.

BestExpansionFic-1.png

Any work which expands upon the existing canon, whether it be into the past or present.

BestCrossoverNon-PokemonFic.png

Any work which does not feature Pokémon or crosses Pokémon with another fandom.

BestDarkFic-2.png

Any work which explores dark themes, including, but not limited to, explorations of morality, the experiences of villains and/or villainous teams and particularly grim worlds.

BestAlternateFic-1.png

Any work which does not easily fit into any of the above categories, including, but not limited to, poetry, crack fics and shipping fics.

BestProtagonist-1.png

The central character of any work.

BestAntagonist-2.png

A villain, rival, or enemy of any kind featured in any work.

BestSupportingCharacterfixed.png

Essentially, any character that is not the central protagonist or antagonist.

BestReviewer-2.png

Any Writer’s Workshop user who gives reviews.

BestNewcomer-2.png

Any Writer’s Workshop user who has become active in the Workshop since the last Awards season in January.

Overall Awards

BestStory-1.png

The winners of Best Journey Fic, Best Expansion Fic, Best Non-Pokémon/Crossover, Best Dark Fic and Best Alternate Work are all eligible to win Best Work.

BestCharacter-1.png

The winners of Best Protagonist, Best Antagonist and Best Supporting Character are all eligible to win Best Character.

Judging: We’ve decided to simplify the process for becoming a non-staff judge, as we want to encourage more people to play an active role in the Awards! If you are interested, just send me a PM with a quick sentence explaining why. You might want to include information on any current fics you have, how often you review, and such like, but none of this is a prerequisite for becoming a judge.

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
OK, I guess I'll start off.

Best Journey Fic
: "Essence of Life" by Tsutarja

Best Newcomer: Llama_Guy

Best Reviewer:
unrepentantAuthor

And good luck to you all.

Best Dark Fic:
- "A Wish On Freedom" - AceTrainer14

Best Expansion Fic:
- "A Little Bit of Good" - Cabaret
- "Red to Blue" - Gastly's Mama

Best Alternate Fic:
- "Pokémon Academy Year II: Second Year Rapsody" - Stellar Haze
- "Different Eyes" - unrepenthantAuthor

Best Non-Pokemon/Crossover fic:
- "Devil's Gift" - Lady Lucifer

Best Newcomer:
- unrepenthantAuthor

These nominations might change and I do have a question. Are we allowed to nominate mods? Since nothing about it was mentioned in the rules, I'm rather curious. Best of luck to all of you!

---

Edited my nominations slightly.

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic:
- The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova, by apenpaap

Best Alternate Fic:
- "Live From the Fireside", by LightningTopaz
- "Different Eyes", by unrepenthantAuthor

Best Protagonist:
- Ren from "Champion's Game", by Misheard Whisper

Best Antagonist:
- Nekros from "Champion's Game", by Misheard Whisper
- Diego from "The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova", by apenpaap

Best Supporting Character:

- Selene from "The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova", by apenpaap

Best Newcomer:
- Llama_Guy
- unrepenthantAuthor

I may add more nominees in the future, just so you know. Best of luck, everyone!

EDIT: Added some more nominees, folks.

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic: Essence of Life by @Tsutarja;

Chaos Theory by @Chaosj2;

Best Expansion Fic: Red to Blue by @Gastly's Mama;

Best Dark Fic: Different Eyes by @unrepentantAuthor;

Best Non-Pokemon/Crossover fic: Devil's Gift by @Lady Lucifer;

Dragonball Legacy by @Khal Lugion;

Best Alternative Work: Champion's Game by @Misheard Whisper;

A Little Bit of Good by @Cabaret;

Best Protagonist: Ren from Champion's Game by @Misheard Whisper;

Best Supporting Character: Teddy from Heart of Crystal by @Feliciano;

Best Reviewer: @SaFE;
Best Newcomer: @Red;

Last edited:
Is there a certain range of time in which the fic would have to have been updated in order to be eligible for nomination?

I see people have nominated me (thanks!) - can I still apply to become a judge?

It seems I've been nominated. Thanks! I promise to update my fic this week!

Best Journey Fic: Pocket Monsters by @Legacy;

Best Expansion Fic: Red to Blue by @Gastly's Mama;

Best Non-Pokémon/Crossover: Devil's Gift by @Lady Lucifer;

Best Reviewer: @Tsutarja;

Best Protagonist: Milo Youngblood, Pocket Monsters by @Legacy

Best Antagonist: Satan, Devil's Gift by @Lady Lucifer;

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a certain range of time in which the fic would have to have been updated in order to be eligible for nomination?

Yes, there is, but I missed this out in the OP. Thanks for spotting. The fic has to have been updated since the last awards season - that's a standing rule. The last awards were in January... this rule is a little liberal (so, if something was updated any time in January, we'll probably let it fly - December won't, though.)

There was also an error on Best Newcomer which I have now fixed - that being that the user in question has to have become active in the Writer's Workshop since the last awards season. (They can have been active on other parts of the forums before that.)

I see people have nominated me (thanks!) - can I still apply to become a judge?

Yes, but you won't be judging the categories that you are nominated for. If you are nominated in every category, you will not be able to judge.

My nominations:

Best Journey Fic:

Survival Project by diamondpearl867

Evolution by Igzz

Unpredictable by AetherX

Best Crossover/ Non Pokemon Fic:

Obsession by Xerxes Break

Best Dark Fic:

A Bháis by dinoking0000

A Wish on Freedom by Acetrainer14

Best Alternate Fic:

Pokemon Academy Year 2: Second Year Rhapsody by Stellar Haze

Best Protagonist:

Senori from Survival Project by diamondpearl867

Reggie from Pokemon Academy Year 2: Second Year Rhapsody by Stellar Haze

Debonnaire from Antonyms by Kyuujux

Best Supporting Character:

Crystal from Obsession by Xerxes Break

Vernon from A Bháis by dinoking0000

Zarya from Antonyms by Kyuujux

Odysse from Antonyms by Kyuujux

More to come soon!

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic

-The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova by apenpaap

Best Dark Fic

-Abdication by Red

Best Supporting Character

-Riley from Essence of Life by Tsutarja

Uh...that's all I can think of for now. I'll edit update this later.

Best Supporting Character: Teddy from Heart of Crystal by @Feliciano;

Eeep! This was...very unexpected! Thank you so much!

Hu-uh...all the people or stories I was going to nominate have already been nominated...well, no sense being repetitive, I suppose. Good luck to everyone, then!

Best Reviewer: unrepentantAuthor
Best Alternate Fic:- "Different Eyes" - unrepentantAuthor
Best Newcomer:- unrepentantAuthor
Best Alternate Fic:- "Different Eyes", by unrepentantAuthor
Best Newcomer:- unrepentantAuthor
Best Dark Fic: Different Eyes by @unrepentantAuthor

This is so unexpected that I don't have any idea what to say. Is it appropriate to thank everyone before jumping up and down in glee? All the same, I am shocked, proud and grateful. I am honoured.

Sadly, exam fever keeps me from participating fully but the summer awards will be flooded with my nominations and suchlike, I can assure you.

Now, I must hurriedly prepare a new chapter of DE and frantically review more people! Procrastination is a vile excuse, I'll none of't!

thanks everyone who nominated the devil's gift for the awards, as well as the support! :)

here are my nominations!

best journey fic: essence of life by @Tsutarja;

best alternate fic: pokemon academy year ii: second year rhapsody by @Stellar Haze;

best dark fic: abdication by @Red;

best newcomer: @Red; @unrepentantAuthor;

Last edited:
I just want to remind everyone that the deadline to send in your judging is the same as nominations being closed: 15th May. Just send a PM to me or one of the other Writer's Workshop mods (except for Caitlin, as she's currently away) explaining why you think you should be a judge (and why you want to be a judge!) It only has to be a couple of sentences, don't stress out about it too much.

thanks everyone who nominated the devil's gift for the awards, as well as the support! :)

here are my nominations!

best journey fic: essence of life by @Tsutarja

best alternate fic: pokemon academy year ii: second year rhapsody by @Stellar Haze

best dark fic: abdication by @Red

best newcomer:
@Red
@unrepentantAuthor

You need to put a semicolon after people's names for the mention to work.

Best Expansion Fic- Red to Blue, by @Gastly's Mama;
Best Alternate Fic- Pokémon Academy Year II: Second Year Rhapsody, by @Stellar Haze;

Best Protagonist- Reggie Damon, from Pokémon Academy
Best Supporting Character- Claudia, from Pokémon Academy

I'll probably add some more at a future time.

Best Dark Fic/Journey Fic

Survival Project by diamondpearl876

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom