• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writer's Workshop Winter Awards 2012 Nomination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Welcome one and all to the first Writer’s Workshop Awards season of 2012!

You may or may not have seen the post detailing the differences between this Award season and the previous ones. If you haven’t, don’t worry, everything you need to know to be part of the Awards is in this thread anyway. If you have, it would be best to have a quick look over the rules anyway – there are some things in here that weren’t included in that post.

THE RULES:
Nominations

Every user can nominate two works, characters or users for each category. You cannot nominate your own work. The deadline for nominations is the 22nd January. Nominations received on this date will be counted, any received on the 23rd will not be.

Voting and judging

Every user can vote for the Best Reviewer and Best Newcomer categories. You cannot vote for yourself. The other categories will be judged by a panel of carefully selected judges. (If you would like to apply to be a judge please see the application form at the bottom of this post.) Voting and judging will open on the 25th and the deadline will be the 1st February.

There will then be a further judging period to decide the Overall Awards. This will be finished by the 3rd February.

Awards

Users who win awards will be given a personalised banner that they can use in their signature, exhibit in a blog or do whatever they like with. Their banner, which will include their name and the name of their fics and characters if appropriate will be recorded in the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame.

They will also be awarded a Badge! Users who manage to obtain eight Badges over the course of every Awards season from now on will be entered into the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame as a ‘Champion’.

THE CATEGORIES:
Best Journey Fic – Any work which centres around a journey or quest that involves travelling to specific places, including, but not limited to, collecting badges, contest ribbons and similar tokens of achievement.

Best Expansion Fic – Any work which expands upon the existing canon, whether it be into the past or present.

Best Non-Pokémon/Crossover – Any work which does not feature Pokémon or crosses Pokémon with another fandom.

Best Dark Fic – Any work which explores dark themes, including, but not limited to, explorations of morality, the experiences of villains and/or villainous teams and particularly grim worlds.)

Best Alternate Work – Any work which does not easily fit into any of the above categories, including, but not limited to, poetry, crack fics and shipping fics.

Best Protagonist – The central character of any work.

Best Antagonist – A villain featured in any work.

Best Supporting Character – Essentially, any character that is not the central protagonist or antagonist.

Best Reviewer – Any Writer’s Workshop user who gives reviews.

Best Newcomer – Any Writer’s Workshop user who has become active on the forum since the last Awards season in July.

Overall Awards
Best Work – The winners of Best Journey Fic, Best Expansion Fic, Best Non-Pokémon/Crossover, Best Dark Fic and Best Alternate Work are all eligible to win Best Work.

Best Character – The winners of Best Protagonist, Best Antagonist and Best Supporting Character are all eligible to win Best Character.

Judge Application
If you wish to be a judge for the upcoming Awards, please fill out the following application form and PM it to me by the end of the Nomination Period on the 22nd January. The other Workshop mods and I will decide who we want to judge each category. Before filling out an application form please ensure that you will have time to read several fics between the dates of the 25th January and the 1st February. The judges selected and what categories they will be judging will be announced on the 25th January. Please be as truthful as possible when answering the application, failure to do so will result in you definitely not being selected. If you are unsure of an answer, feel free to ask any of the Writer’s Workshop mods.

NOTE: There are no specific prerequisites for being a judge. For example, if you have not won any Awards or you have not been active for a while with little reason, your application will not be automatically thrown away.

Application Form

How long have you been active in the Writer’s Workshop?:

How many Awards have you won in previous Awards seasons?:

Do you regularly review the work of other WW users?:

Are you currently a regular writer in the WW? If not, how long has it been since you were and why aren’t you any longer?:

Preferred category in the event that you are selected:
NOTE: You may be picked for a category other than your preference. If there are any categories which you don't want to judge so much that you would rather not judge, please include this.

Why do you want to be a judge?:

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I did not read many stories during the past period, unfortunatly, but here are my nominations.

Best Journey Fic
The Orusa Adventures by Oz37.
The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova by apenpaap‎.

Best Alternate Work
Champion Game by Misheard Whisper.

Best Antagonist
Rood from The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova by apenpaap‎.

Best Supporting Character
Hunter from The Orusa Adventures by Oz37.
Natasha from Champion Game by Misheard Whisper.

I was not sure where to nominate Champion Game, as while the typical journey is over, there is still a form of a journey in the story. With that complication, I nominated it for Alternate.

I hope I can win.

Here are my picks since u can't vote for youraelf

Journey: Legacy's fic
Dark: Dai's fic

Last edited:
I hope I can win.

Here are my picks since u can't vote for youraelf

Journey: Legacy's fic
Dark: Dai's fic
Best main character Mewtwo
Best alternate Stellar Haze

You also have to give the name of the stories aside from the authors.

Best Journey Fic:
Unpredictable by AetherX
How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by AceTrainer14

Best Non-Pokemon/Crossover Fic:
Dragon Ball: Legacy by Lugion
Kingdom Hearts: Lost War by The Booty Warrior

Best Dark Fic: Memoirs of a Clone by Dai

Best Alternate Work:
Champion's Game by Misheard Whisper
A Wish on Freedom by AceTrainer14

Best Protagonist: Alaska Acevedo from How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by AceTrainer14
Best Antagonist: Nekros in Champion's Game by Misheard Whisper
Best Supporting Character:
Ramis from Dragonball: Legacy by Lugion
Elly in Champion's Game by Misheard Whisper

Last edited:
Okay sorry

I would like to add some new picks since today is the end.

Best Journey Pocket Monsters by Legacy
Best Dark Memories of a Clone by Dai
Best Non Pokemon Kingdom Hearts by Booty
Best Protagonist Milo Youngblood by Legacy and Mewtwo from Dai fic
Best Antagonist Giovanni by Dai
Best Reviewer Legacy and Chimchar

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic: Pocket Monsters: The Battle Quest by Legacy
Best Expansion Fic: The Long March Of Time by InsaneTyranitar
Best Alternate Work: Welcome to Our World by Stellar Haze

Best Newcomer: Cyberpika, he may not be the best writer, but he has shown that he's willing to work hard at becoming a wonderful writer, after going through a few fics I noticed that he also has left some reviews and shown that he is active. Keep writing bud.

I put Long March of Time under expansion since it expands on the entire history of the pokémon world, and I put Welcome to Our World under alternate since it doesn't really fit under anything else. If I'm wrong about the category tell me and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
I was not sure where to nominate Champion Game, as while the typical journey is over, there is still a form of a journey in the story. With that complication, I nominated it for Alternate.

I put Long March of Time under expansion since it expands on the entire history of the pokémon world, and I put Welcome to Our World under alternate since it doesn't really fit under anything else. If I'm wrong about the category tell me and I'll see what I can do.

Just use your judgement. Genre can be a little subjective. If we (the WW mods) feel that something has been nominated for completely the wrong genre, we'll sort it out and ask the nominator if they would like to nominate it instead for the category that we feel is more appropriate.

With regards to the Alternate category, fics which are also nominated in other categories (other than the category ones, obviously) may or may not be disallowed. We will decide this by the time the nominees are officially announced. In the mean time, please nominate as you see fit. We will fix anything that issues that present themselves.

Right, I'm just posting here because I'm surprised by how few judging applications we've had, I thought more people would want to.

Since we want regular users to judge, we've decided to try and sweeten the deal a bit.

If you are selected to judge: At least one WW mod (who hasn't already) will read your whole fic and leave a reply (that is more than "good job!"), we'll promote your fic on our Twitter account and we'll just be really grateful! I know there are a whole load of really responsible and talented people in the Workshop right now and it would be great to see you guys in action in a different way. Looking forward to getting some applications and hopefully more nominations too! =D

Ah, I don't make frequent posts, but I thought it would be considerate of me to make a few nominations as a thank-you for all of the wonderful fics I've read over the months.

Best Journey Fic:
The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World - Cutlerine

Best Dark Fic:
Memoirs of a Clone - Dai

Best Alternate Work:
Champion Game - Misheard Whisper

Best Protagonist:
Alaska Acevedo of How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps

Best Antagonist:
Gideon of How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps

Best Supporting Character:
Octavianus of The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova

Alright, most of the fics I have read and wanted to nominate have been taken, so I'll just put up what's left in the categories they're not in.

Best Protagonist:
Edward from Stellar Haze's Welcome To Our World
Ren from Misheard Whisper's Champion's Game

Hopefully I didn't do somethin' dumb and nominate those in categories they're already in.

No mini-reviews/summaries embedded in my nominations this time, I'm only going to do that for the big Summer awards.

Best Journey Fichttp://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/within-my-own-nightmares-117737/ by Dawn_Hero

Best Expansion Fichttp://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/skyridge-teds-story-redemption-125490/ by BlueNostalgia

Best Alternate Workhttp://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/pokemon-academy-year-ii-second-year-rhapsody-121733/ by Stellar Haze

Best ProtagonistKester Ruby, from The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World by Cutlerine

Best Supporting CharacterRiolu, from http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/barefoot-fighting-genius-98051/index7.html by Kyuujux

I'll be on the lookout for fics/characters/users that fit the other categories over these next couple days, and update if I find anything.

EDIT:
Best Newcomer - Cutlerine

Last edited:
Nominations will close tomorrow (22nd January).

There have been no nominations for Best Reviewer or Best Newcomer. These are two of my favourite awards so I'm really disappointed to see that.

So, show the people who take the time to read your fics some appreciation for doing so! Who leaves you the most helpful reviews? Nominate them for Best Reviewer! A big problem we have in the Workshop is that sometimes people struggle to get reviews... I think part of the reason for that is because leaving reviews is underappreciated. This is a great opportunity to change that! Show someone that they've really helped you!

As for Best Newcomer, I'd just like to remind everyone that users don't have to have joined BMGf since July to qualify - as long as they only started posting in the Writer's Workshop after July, they qualify! If you're not sure... go ahead and nominate them. You're not going to get in trouble for accidentally nominating someone who is ineligible. Let's get nominating and give some of our great new users a great welcome!

Well, lessee...I assume mods can be nominated as well, right? Also, we can only nominate one person for these two categories, right?

EDIT: Wait, rechecked. So, here we go.

Best Reviewer

Misheard Whisper

Gastly's Mama

Best Newcomer

Dai

Last edited:
Well, lessee...I assume mods can be nominated as well, right? Also, we can only nominate one person for these two categories, right?

Mods can indeed be nominated (well not for Best Newcomer since all of us have been posting here since before July) but for everything else, yes.

You're allowed to nominate up to two people for these categories, just like all the others. You'll only be allowed to vote for one though (Best Newcomer and Best Reviewer are user voted)

Also, to everyone who hasn't nominated at all, why not? Even if you aren't that well known, you haven't posted recently or if you're just a reader here rather than a writer, you're entitled to nominate and I hope you do!

EDIT: Your post updated while I was writing this, thank you for the nomination =P

I would nominate, but I have not read anything for several months now and I wouldn't be a particularly good judge of character, and those that I have read have already been nominated as well. I think you need to give people more time to read, as I think SOPA might have put people off coming online the other day and the Awards were only announced a few weeks ago. There should be a reminder a little while in advance to try and encourage people to read more before the Awards so we can guarantee people have read stories.

I was hoping to get more reading done, but it looks like I'm out of time.

Best Journey Fic – Pocket Monsters, by Legacy

Best Dark Fic – Dragon Days, by Gastly's Mama

Best Alternate Work – Pokémon Academy II: Second Year Rhapsody, by Flame

Best Protagonist – Milo Youngblood, from Pocket Monsters

Best Supporting Character – Finn, from Pokémon Academy

I know it's a bit last minute, but I have a nomination.

Best Newcomer: CyberPika

For starting off very rough, but moving past all the negative comments, even being told to leave, and sticking around to take the criticism he's gotten and use it to improve his story.

In response to multiple requests from users and other concerns we have decided to keep nominations and judging applications open for one more week. That means the deadline for both is now January 29th. Please feel free to change your nominations, they will only be counted at the end to ensure no errors are made.

This also means every other stage of the awards is going to be pushed back by one week. If you have already sent in a judging application and you're not sure if you will be free the week after the week that was previously specified, please let us know ASAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom