• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Writing a story for a Video Game Challenge

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Some challenge stories are easier than others. Nuzlockes are harder due to the randomness of the encounters and the deaths. Any challenge that does not have permadeath are significantly easier since you have far more control of what is happening. Of course, this applies to any game that one is doing a challenge run of.

So, my question is this: What are ideas/ways that one can go about doing a challenge-based story?

@Greninjaman

It depends on the nature of your challenge--and how well the rules of your challenge translate into a written medium.

Above all, try to find a way to naturally integrate game mechanics into your story world. You obviously wouldn't mention buttons and controls when a character is explaining the mechanic. Try to find a way to make your challenge fit within the world you are writing in.

@Greninjaman

It depends on the nature of your challenge--and how well the rules of your challenge translate into a written medium.

Above all, try to find a way to naturally integrate game mechanics into your story world. You obviously wouldn't mention buttons and controls when a character is explaining the mechanic. Try to find a way to make your challenge fit within the world you are writing in.
Yeah, I do agree that the story depends on the nature of the challenge.
Mono-Runs can be done since well, the Gym Leaders all use one type. It's an easy challenge to work with since there are no crazy mechanics. Just have your character mention that they want to use only the chosen type.

The Wonderlocke, a Nuzlocke varient that involves Wonder Trade (Surprise Trade in Gen 8), is harder to work with due to how the Wonder/Surprise Trade works.

Of course, as I said, any challenge that has the permadeath rule is trickier, especially with the one Pokemon per area rule.

@Greninjaman

So, what sort of challenge are you trying to write out? This will help inform the planning process for the story.
Well, an Omega Ruby Water Mono run. I do have some ideas for it. It's the Pokemon that I need to figure out. I think it would be best if I plan the team out ahead of time. I was planning on a Nuzlocke, but the problem is that you can't really plan ahead due to the nature of the first encounter and the Permadeath rules.

Last edited:
Sorry about double posting (though I read the rules and reminded myself that it's mostly fine as long in certain areas as long as it contributes to the thread).

I was planning on doing a water mono-run of Omega Ruby and a story to go with it, but then I realized, do I really need the game? I could just drop doing the challenge run and only do the story. All I really need to do is look up what Water types (or really any type that is being used) are in the game and pick six from the list.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom