• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

WTF names in the Pokemon Anime

He doesn't have a British accent in the dub...he has strong diction, but that's not the same thing.

That's true, I never realised that. But also it has.. occasional vague sounds of 'Queen's English' in it too, like the way he said 'once those three start operating there' in BW001.

Corn cobs, duh. :p

Cassidy's partner, Biff had a stupid name. Seriously, what kind of name is Botch?

Um, I THINK in the Finnish dub, which is based on the USAnian dub, Botch was "Butch". It just gave me a butcher feeling.

For me, there's Brutella, Fiorello Cappuchino (what were they thinking?), Otoshi, Assunta, Senta (reminds me of Santa), Poncho (who names their kid after a piece of clothing?), Woodruff, Olesha, Ephiram, Goneff, and Satchel (who names their kid after a bag?). And that's just from the original series.

Um, I THINK in the Finnish dub, which is based on the USAnian dub, Botch was "Butch". It just gave me a butcher feeling.

They must have botched it up then, because his name is clearly 'Buffy'.

Also, 'Professor Jacuzzi'. ..I wonder where it was exactly he got his degree *shifty eyes*

I found "Misty" and "Brock" odd when I first heard their names. Disregarding the puns, they just sounded off-hand on their own, and only made sense to me when grouped with Ash, as each had an affiliation to an element. I later had an acquaintance named Brock, so the name started to make better sense to me, but I always treated Misty as a shortened name or pet name for "Mystique" or "Mistara" or something, idk.

"Harley" also intrigued me. I compared him to Harley Davidson motorcycles each time I saw him the first few times.

COTD wise, Mateo, Georgio, and Oakley were very odd to me.

I
"Harley" also intrigued me. I compared him to Harley Davidson motorcycles each time I saw him the first few times.

For Harley, I always thought of Harley Quin from Batman. The Joker's henchwoman was named Harley, and she debuted in B:TAS in the early 90's.

So before Pokemon's Harley became well known, I always thought of Harley from Batman.

Fiorello Cappuchino (what were they thinking?)

It's supposed to be a parody of Leonardo DiCaprio. At that point he was thought of more as a pinup boy than a serious actor (even though he'd already been up for an Oscar), so hence parodying a prettyboy actor with him.

It's a really old-fashioned name, but a name just the same.

Also, Mateo and Georgio are fairly common names. And according to the translation of DPA, Looker's real name is...Hansom (of course, it was to cover that they'd messed up in an earlier volume by calling him by his Japanese name, but still).

Corn cobs, duh. :p

Cassidy's partner, Biff had a stupid name. Seriously, what kind of name is Botch?
I thought it was Butch. You know, like Butch Cassidy, like how Jessie and James make up Jesse James. Well, for the US dub anyway.

I thought they had to use "Botch" or something since Kojirou and others did constantly mess up Kosaburou's name for the original. Had to substitute it with something.

Professor Jacuzzi was a massive WTF for me. As my friend snarked: "Are we going to see a Professor Toilet anytime soon?"

Jump from the Hoenn anime was another, "the hell?" moment for me.

Nononono... if they were to name a character after a toilet it would be the following

Doctor John Lou Toilet.

That way it has three words that mean crapper in the name and retains a refference to Scrubs.

Although as a friend of a linguist I can't say I've seen any names weirder than the ones he's shown me... So I can't really say there's a name I find weird in Pokemon.

I thought it was Butch. You know, like Butch Cassidy, like how Jessie and James make up Jesse James. Well, for the US dub anyway.

I thought they had to use "Botch" or something since Kojirou and others did constantly mess up Kosaburou's name for the original. Had to substitute it with something.

...that was the entire joke, you realize. That was WHY they called him Biff and Botch and so on in this thread.

Surprised no one's mentioned Bugsy. That cracked me up a bit at first.

What's the problem? You've never seen Bugsy Malone? ;D

(Note: I'm assuming that the name alludes to Bugsy Siegel, a real-life gangster. Whose real name was Benjamin, "Bugsy" (deriving from antiquated slang for "crazy") being a name given to him by the press. The world of organised crime may not be the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Bugsy the Gym Leader, but it's cute and it suits his preference for bug types neatly enough.)

Last edited:

No, his name is Buffy. Why does everyone call him Bob anyway?

From the Orange Crew episode after the league when Ash returns Lapras to its herd there is a pirate that wants to steal all of the Lapras and Officer Jenny tells Ash about the villains.
Ash: "Wow, this guy sounds like Captain Hook."
Jenny: "No his name is Captain Crook."

What the heck kind of name is that?

I mean we've heard of a guy named Ship on the Pokemon Ranger movie about Manaphy.

Burgh.

What.The.Hell?

In fact, most of the Generation V Gym Leader names. I think that, aside from Iris, Drayden is the only one that sounds like an actual name (and indeed, it is an actual name)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom