• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X and Y Download/Memory Size

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
So the games are 1.7 GB in size (14 000 blocks on the 3DS memory) which is huge for a 3DS game, right? Hopefully these games are going to be packed full of stuff; the memory hints it's going to be a big game, unless it's just all the models and region (but I'm not knowledgable about this sort of thing so I have no idea :p).

B2W2 used a 512MB cartridge, but the actual space used was little more than 300MB (with a lot of redundant data carried over from the prequels), so X and Y are roughly six times larger. Also, there are only four 3DS games that use more space, with the rest being a fair bit lower in size. Actually, that list only refers to games available on the American eShop, but I doubt that there are other space-heavy games.

The Pokémon data won't take up more than 500MB judging from Pokédex 3D (whose filesize is roughly 400MB).

Last edited:
3DS games can have up to 8GB right? Not even a fourth of the memory is used. Just think of how big of a game they could make with that much data.

The 1.7GB is no concern to me, thanks to my 16GB SD card.

What is of concern to me though is, the inability to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system. So I'll be sticking the physical copies.

the inability to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system.
Yup, the electronic equivalent of trying to put two game cards into the system at the same time.
Considering that Junichi Masuda admitted at E3 that GameFreak are still working on backwards compatibility, due to the DS and 3DS cartridges being unable to communicate with each other, the solution is quite simple:

Pokémon Dream Radar, a 3DS application, can communicate with Black 2/White 2. So, GameFreak should make a Pokémon Box application that can communicate with a Generation V game and allow Pokémon to be deposited and withdrawn into the box, to be accessed later when playing a Generation VI game. They could easily expand such an app to allow depositing from Generation VI games as well. Just have it so that when you load up the app, you choose a single game to communicate with at a time (so if you have multiple Pokémon titles on the system, it produces a list of all of them and you choose one, then reload the app and choose another).

Yup, the electronic equivalent of trying to put two game cards into the system at the same time.
Considering that Junichi Masuda admitted at E3 that GameFreak are still working on backwards compatibility, due to the DS and 3DS cartridges being unable to communicate with each other, the solution is quite simple:

Pokémon Dream Radar, a 3DS application, can communicate with Black 2/White 2. So, GameFreak should make a Pokémon Box application that can communicate with a Generation V game and allow Pokémon to be deposited and withdrawn into the box, to be accessed later when playing a Generation VI game. They could easily expand such an app to allow depositing from Generation VI games as well. Just have it so that when you load up the app, you choose a single game to communicate with at a time (so if you have multiple Pokémon titles on the system, it produces a list of all of them and you choose one, then reload the app and choose another).

I think its going to be more in depth than that possibly(data restructuring) and as a result I think IF its done it will only be Gen V to Gen 6. However now going back on topic here i am going to say 1.7 gb is to big for internet so i will have buy a PHYSICAL copy of the games.

I've been thinking the same exact thing as well. Though one other feature I would like and hope they can implement is to have the option to send back the Pokémon from your 5th Gen games if you ever felt like it, that is of course if the Pokémon knows a 6th Gen move where then the app would tell you that you need to delete the move if you want to send the Pokémon back.

Last edited:
Well, the scoop of the century is that the game is finally receiving full voice-acting, hope you enjoy it! I just finished recording my lines for Clemont, look forward to hearing it this October!

1.7 GB, that's around the same size as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Awesome y/n?

What is of concern to me though is, the inability to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system. So I'll be sticking the physical copies.

Question. Can a physical copy and a digital copy on the same system communicate or will you still need another 3DS?

Looks like I will have to buy another SD card. I've kept using the 2 GB SD card packaged with the standard system all this time.

Same here. As cool as these systems look, not being able to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system is a huge deal breaker. Plus, I prefer physical copies anyway, but this does make it more unlikely for me to get the 3DS LL system unless there is one without a downloaded copy of the game.

Same here. As cool as these systems look, not being able to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system is a huge deal breaker. Plus, I prefer physical copies anyway, but this does make it more unlikely for me to get the 3DS LL system unless there is one without a downloaded copy of the game.
Why is it a huge deal breaker? If you only have one system, two physical copies won't help you. If you have do have more than one system, then you can obviously download each version to a separate system. You can just buy a physical copy for your current system and complement it with the special LL system corresponding to the opposite version.

Last edited:
Hey, I just have the SD card that came with my 3Ds. Ive downloaded dream radar and pokedex 3d on it. Does it have enough memory to download pokemon x? Physical copies take ages to arrive here in Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom