• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X and Y Download/Memory Size

Hey, I just have the SD card that came with my 3Ds. Ive downloaded dream radar and pokedex 3d on it. Does it have enough memory to download pokemon x? Physical copies take ages to arrive here in Brazil.
That depends on your system. A regular 3DS is bundled with a 2GB SD card, while a 3DS LL comes with a 4GB SD card. Unfortunately, you need the latter card to have enough space for all the games you mentioned, as their total memory size slightly exceeds 2GB.

Its a regular 3ds. What if i delete the face riders game, the music and photo apps, that come alongside with the 3ds? The regular 3ds comes with FREE 2 GB, or its 2 GB if you delete all the things that come with it?

Its a regular 3ds. What if i delete the face riders game, the music and photo apps, that come alongside with the 3ds? The regular 3ds comes with FREE 2 GB, or its 2 GB if you delete all the things that come with it?
Those applications are built-in, meaning that they are unrelated to the SD card. Either way, the card can hold 2GB of data in total.

Some SD cards are fairly cheap. You should invest in a 8GB or 16GB card, which will most likely suffice for future releases.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice. I will definitely buy the digital version, since there are no decent gaming stores where I live and I don't want to wait days to play the game.

Even for people who live in countries where the games will be sold in stores from the get-go, the eShop release offers the advantage of getting the games around midnight in the respective time zone. Even if you don't want to play the game that late, you can download it while you sleep so that it's ready by morning.

How long it takes to download a game of 1,7GB in its release time? I just cant wait to play the game, and when its released, ill want to play imediatly. Also, it will be avaiable to play at midnight of my country, or at midnight of the japan?
The physical cards usually arrive in Brazil 1 month after the USA release.

I can't bear to not own physical copies of a Pokemon game. Even if you could communicate between to digital copies on one system, I'd just buy the second 3DS.

How long it takes to download a game of 1,7GB in its release time? I just cant wait to play the game, and when its released, ill want to play imediatly.
That depends on your connection. How long did it take you to download Pokédex 3D Pro? Multiply that by five and that will give you an estimate.

Also, it will be avaiable to play at midnight of my country, or at midnight of the japan?
It doesn't depend on your location, but rather on the version of your system. Do you have an American 3DS? If so, it will be available at 12AM EST. I am not sure which time zone is used for the European eShop, but I assume that it's 12AM JST for the Japanese one. You're in luck if you happen to have bought an Australian 3DS.

Last edited:
It took around five minutes to download pokedex3d pro. But there will be more people downloading this game, since itll be the game release, wont it slow down things a little? My 3ds is american.

Same here. As cool as these systems look, not being able to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system is a huge deal breaker. Plus, I prefer physical copies anyway, but this does make it more unlikely for me to get the 3DS LL system unless there is one without a downloaded copy of the game.
Why is it a huge deal breaker? If you only have one system, two physical copies won't help you. If you have do have more than one system, then you can obviously download each version to a separate system. You can just buy a physical copy for your current system and complement it with the special LL system corresponding to the opposite version.
For me, the convenience of having physical copies now outweighs the convenience of digital copies.

For example, when I go to Video Game Championship events, I currently have my 3DS XL on standby in my pocket for streetpassing, then I use my DSi (with an extra battery pack) for battling (which with the Swiss system that's been made standard in Europe now, it means I will be battling all day). So now, I'll just buy the physical copies so that I can play them at home on my 3DS XL, but use my 3DS for battling (with the 3DS XL, my main system, for StreetPassing).

If I was able to communicate between two download copies on the same system, that convenience would have outweighed the convenience of my above example.

It took around five minutes to download pokedex3d pro. But there will be more people downloading this game, since itll be the game release, wont it slow down things a little? My 3ds is american.
Yes, it will slow it down. Honestly, you're better off going to sleep and waking up a few hours later. That way you won't get frustrated or tired.

But itll be the 12am from where in USA?
EST, so that's 2AM in your time zone.

But do you have any idea of how many time it can slow down? Have you ever downloaded a big game at release time before?

Its the New York time, so? Itll be 1 AM here, i think.

Last edited:
Why is it a huge deal breaker? If you only have one system, two physical copies won't help you. If you have do have more than one system, then you can obviously download each version to a separate system. You can just buy a physical copy for your current system and complement it with the special LL system corresponding to the opposite version.

I don't see as much of an advantage of digital copies over physical copies for me. I only have one system at the moment, but I'd just buy a used 3DS. As cool as this special X/Y 3DS is, I most likely would have a difficult time getting the money for it compared to just pre-ordering physical copies of the games.

But what happens if the connection falls during the download? Ill have to start downloading EVERYTHING again?

But what happens if the connection falls during the download? Ill have to start downloading EVERYTHING again?

No, the eShop downloads are like torrents, if the connection falls, you just have to download the missing parts, not the whole game again.

What is of concern to me though is, the inability to communicate between two games downloaded onto the same system. So I'll be sticking the physical copies.

Question. Can a physical copy and a digital copy on the same system communicate or will you still need another 3DS?

most likely 2 console will still be required

That sucks. I was planning on buying Y as a physical copy and X as a digital one. I was hoping they would communicate with each other despite being on the same 3DS. That would make things easier than having to borrow someone else's 3DS (I'm not shelling out another $160 dollars for another 3DS. Ain't nobody got time or money for that!)

Back
Top Bottom