• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X and Y Player Character Names

Re: PKMN X and Y Player Character Names

Male - Wyatt (Y-att)
Female - Alexis (Al-X-is)

Wyatt was the gen 3 gym leader in mauville right? don't think they would reuse a name like that.

I was going to suggest Xavier and Yvette. (Yvette looks French. Xavier is European in origin and also from Francis Xavier) Then, I realized that recent player characters have themed names that had nothing to do with the title of the game. May need to know more about this generation before coming up of something. As for Special, we may get Ekkusu and Wai...

This won't be hard for the Chinese version.
Hmmm......
YUI!
No......

Yeah right, there aren't any official Chinese games. (At least, not yet...

Wyatt was the gen 3 gym leader in mauville right? don't think they would reuse a name like that.

It's Wattson.

I think that the names Xoana, for the female, and Yves, for the male, would be good.

I find it funny people are using X for the guy and Y for the girl when, gene-wise, it's men who have the Y chromosome. Then again, X is a more masculine letter than Y, and Y more feminine than X.

What about Sylar (X can make an S sound like in "xylophone") and Yolanda? Yvonne/Yvette isn't bad either.

That said, I already know I'm going to name the female protag in my own game as "Shoshana", the name of a character in Inglorious Bastards (who was French).

Xena and Yugi

I'd like Alexia and Anthony

Ehh I'd rather they not name the player characters names starting with X and Y just because the games are called that. Seems too forced, especially with the mascot Legendaries also having names starting with X and Y. If they had names that just included an x and a y in them (like Alex or Axel or Tyler) then that'd be more subtle in my opinion.

I was going to suggest Xavier and Yvette. (Yvette looks French. Xavier is European in origin and also from Francis Xavier) Then, I realized that recent player characters have themed names that had nothing to do with the title of the game. May need to know more about this generation before coming up of something. As for Special, we may get Ekkusu and Wai...
While it's true that they haven't been associating the recent names, I think it would be nice if they did use a French or European origin for their names since this generation seems to have that theme going.

Watch them be Howard and Hilary.

Oh the horror..... :p

I find it funny people are using X for the guy and Y for the girl when, gene-wise, it's men who have the Y chromosome. Then again, X is a more masculine letter than Y, and Y more feminine than X.

What about Sylar (X can make an S sound like in "xylophone") and Yolanda? Yvonne/Yvette isn't bad either.

That said, I already know I'm going to name the female protag in my own game as "Shoshana", the name of a character in Inglorious Bastards (who was French).

Sylar is a character in Heroes though, and nothing else major seems to be associated with that name, so a Pokemon character having that name would be pretty off I think considering how he was the "bad guy" and all.

How about the names being taken from a word? Like how Nate/Rosa was from "resonate" (along with their Japanese names). I'm really bad at making up names myself though, but a spontaneous thought was the nucleobases.

If it's French...

Xavier is good for the male character. And it works in English too.

For the female...there's Yvonne, Yvette, Yolande, and Yseult. Yseult will probably be ruled out since it's not a common name (then again, neither is Hilbert). Yolande is the prettiest by far IMO. Yvonne and Yvette would be good too, since they work in English.

If they want to reverse them, that might not be good. For the male, there's Yves and Yannick (the last one is Breton, which is a Celtic language that is spoken in France). For the female, there is nothing common. To my knowledge, only French female name that starts with X is Xavière, but that name is definitely not common (I did know a woman with that name - she was from a French-speaking country in Africa).

Ehh I'd rather they not name the player characters names starting with X and Y just because the games are called that. Seems too forced, especially with the mascot Legendaries also having names starting with X and Y. If they had names that just included an x and a y in them (like Alex or Axel or Tyler) then that'd be more subtle in my opinion.

I agree with this. The names would be and sound very forced. I'd prefer if they used other names.

Wait a second, I realized something: the characters in the manga always have the name of a game, usually the male gets the first version (X) and the female the second (Y), although there are many exceptions on that rule. If the games are only called X and Y, do you think that the characters will be X and Y in the manga? I know it's kinda off topic, but anyway, what do you think?

François and Pierre.
Nothing to do with X and Y, just some French-sounding names.

I've been calling the girl "Red" because she looks like Little Red Riding Hood. I like Xavier, though~ For Y...Yureimi?

Eugene and Diane. That's what my friends and I have been calling them. :)

While it's true that they haven't been associating the recent names, I think it would be nice if they did use a French or European origin for their names since this generation seems to have that theme going.

It's unlikely for Japanese, since we got Touko/Touya/Kyouhei/Mei (which eventually got localized). Then again, anything can happen.

And since there seem to be a genetic theme going on, I'll throw in Honya (honyaku) for the boy and Tenshi (tensha) for the girl.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom