• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X & Y 3DS XL vs. Pikachu 3DS XL

JewelsVerne

Who am I? Where am I?
Reaction score
So which do you want to play X and Y on? I bought the Pikachu 3DS and have left it unopened just in case an X & Y version came out, but now I can't decide whether I want to sell it and get one of the new ones, or keep it. What do you guys think?

(images below spoiler)

pika3ds-610x456.jpg

3ds-xl.jpg

Maybe I should just hold out for a Zelda XL to match my Zelda regular 3DS haha

What about the 2DS? The Xerneas and Yveltal 3DS? The regular 3DS?

What about them? They're all certainly viable options for playing X and Y. I was just asking about the US limited edition XLs because that's what I'm currently torn between.

At this point I'd be kind of surprised if they released the gold 3DS. Not to mention my brain would probably explode from options lol.

What about them? They're all certainly viable options for playing X and Y. I was just asking about the US limited edition XLs because that's what I'm currently torn between.

At this point I'd be kind of surprised if they released the gold 3DS. Not to mention my brain would probably explode from options lol.
Oh. I thought that this thread was for the portables that can play X&Y, not just those two. Sorry.
On another note, since this is kind of more personal since we can only choose from the 1 of 2 that you're considering, doesn't this belong more as a post in Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)?

On another note, since this is kind of more personal since we can only choose from the 1 of 2 that you're considering, doesn't this belong more as a post in Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)?

This thread was posted a bit before the Simple Questions/Answers thread, and I think it's fine on its own; even if it's a bit personal there are probably plenty of others contemplating the same thing and they can all discuss it here. It's not a poll or anything, and it's fun to hear other perspectives.

I have the Pikachu one, too, and was thinking about it myself. I like the designs of the XY one, but really all that (I think is) different is the aesthetics. I use my Pikachu one daily and love it (and I get comments on it all the time when I'm out, haha), so I'm probably just going to keep it. If yours is in a box though, you might be able to get a bit more for it on eBay more than you would trading it in or taking it back. They sold out very quickly and there are probably people still looking for them. Personally, the XY ones are nice but I don't want the hassle of transferring all of my 3DS stuff on to my other 3DS, selling it/trading it in, then retransferring it all again just because of the design.

On the other hand, if the Charizard one was released in the US....

Oh. I thought that this thread was for the portables that can play X&Y, not just those two. Sorry.

Well, I messaged the mods ahead of time and asked them where to put this thread...and this is what they told me.

It's just meant to be a fun opinion thread on the Pokemon 3DS's that have been released in the States so far.

This thread was posted a bit before the Simple Questions/Answers thread, and I think it's fine on its own; even if it's a bit personal there are probably plenty of others contemplating the same thing and they can all discuss it here. It's not a poll or anything, and it's fun to hear other perspectives.

I have the Pikachu one, too, and was thinking about it myself. I like the designs of the XY one, but really all that (I think is) different is the aesthetics. I use my Pikachu one daily and love it (and I get comments on it all the time when I'm out, haha), so I'm probably just going to keep it. If yours is in a box though, you might be able to get a bit more for it on eBay more than you would trading it in or taking it back. They sold out very quickly and there are probably people still looking for them. Personally, the XY ones are nice but I don't want the hassle of transferring all of my 3DS stuff on to my other 3DS, selling it/trading it in, then retransferring it all again just because of the design.

re: Charizard...I agree!

Yea, I'm leaning toward keeping Pikachu since the X and Y versions are basically just the normal blue and red 3DS's with decals on them, but the yellow of the Pikachu edition is pretty unique. To be honest they're all pretty good options. I'm glad Nintendo is giving us so many options.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad.
If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would choose the blue Xerneas and Yveltal design. I don't really like the Pikachu one, and I like the cooler colours.

My suggestion is that if you already have a system that you play on or have, use that and don't buy a new one unless the old one breaks. You save a lot of money on gaming hardware that way.

The blue X/Y 3DS XL is the most tempting out of the three. I love the color and the design. The Pikachu 3DS looks cute, but if I got to choose between the two, I'd go with the 3DS XL X/Y blue version. Though, I'm not in a position to be getting a new 3DS system and my regular 3DS works just fine, so I probably won't be getting it anytime soon.

I already have a regular black 3DS but damn, I kind of want a 3DS XL. I've been wanting a 3DS XL with a nice design for some time now, but since all themed XLs are sold in bundles with a pre-installed game, I haven't been able to get one. However, since XY isn't bundled with the new XY-themed systems, this is the perfect opportunity.

I'm personally leaning towards the red XY one, since I love red and black.

Guh - this. So much. I almost acquired one last year and was going to actually strip out the internals and put the US XL inside instead but the guy ended up trying to charge me more then our initial agreement for the unit :\

That being said I put a deposit down on my Y XL Friday, so very stoked for the 27th. I think the Pika-XL is fantastic, it's just not really my color/style and it's likely to be as rare as the X/Y's down the road.

I already have a regular black 3DS but damn, I kind of want a 3DS XL. I've been wanting a 3DS XL with a nice design for some time now, but since all themed XLs are sold in bundles with a pre-installed game, I haven't been able to get one. However, since XY isn't bundled with the new XY-themed systems, this is the perfect opportunity.

I'm personally leaning towards the red XY one, since I love red and black.

Keep in mind if you do want the X/Y XL, GameStop's trade in for the current XL is $90 - minimum. And the reps told me that's likely to go to $100 or even a bit higher as there's a bonus for trading in an XL for Pokemon related purchases right now, which apparently qualifies for standard to special ed XL. So overall you could snag a X/Y XL for about $100 if you trade in your current model.

Edit: Obviously, not sure how that money translates in your country, but - still worth a look?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom