• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Xatu vs. Sigilyph

voidcritter

Sad Grass-Type
Reaction score
It's the battle of the vaguely-Mayincatec psychic birds!

Xatu: Psychic/Flying, base stat total 470. Introduced in Gen. II
Sigilyph: Psychic/Flying, base stat total 490. Introduced in Gen. V

• Which one has the better design?
  • Which is more versatile?
  • Which one has the better-sounding cry?
  • Which one has the cooler characters that own one?

Xatu has definitely the better design(THERE'S NOTHING BEAUTIFUL IN GEN 5, NOT EVEN PERSONS OMG).
Sigilyph is more versatile and he has a better-sounding cry(xatu's is annoying)
Xatu has the cooler characters that own it.(N is annoying and I like Will)

1. Xatu as it looks closely to what it's suppose to be than Sigilyph.

2. Sigilyph (it only needs Focus Blast before I could use it for offense).

3. Xatu as it kinda sounds like "Batter Batter."

4. Tie because both N and Will are cool.

• Which one has the better design?
Xatu. I really don't like Sigilyph's design at all. It just looks like an Unown with wings (to me) and that's hardly something to brag about.

• Which is more versatile?
"Magic Bounce or Magic Guard?" is the real question to me. I'd call it a draw.

• Which one has the better-sounding cry?
Xatu's sounds like some weird machine going "WOOSH WOOSH". And Sigilyph is just high-pitched "PAPAPAPAAA". So probably Sigilyph.

• Which one has the cooler characters that own one?
I don't see how this is a deciding factor, but it's a cool question nonetheless. Eh, I don't like N. So Will. I think Winona gets one in her gym leader rematches, and when you have a name like Winona, you KNOW you're cool.

So, I'm going with Xatu. Gen II pokes are always my faves, so it's hardly surprising.

• Which one has the better design? Sigilyph
  • Which is more versatile? Sigilyph
  • Which one has the better-sounding cry? Xatu
  • Which one has the cooler characters that own one? Xatu
I am totally down for both but voted Xatu although Swoobat is my favorite out of the psychic/flying family. Attract seems to work wonders for my team.

Which one has the better design?
Xatu. For the longest time, I didn't even know what Sigilyph was supposed to be.

Which is more versatile?
Hard to say. I'm going with Sigyliph because it can use the Cosmic Power/Stored Power combo in the higher tiers and has good offenses for the lower tiers. Xatu's only use is Magic Bouncing.

Which one has the better-sounding cry?
Xatu. Sigyliph's annoys me.

Which one has the cooler characters that own one?
In terms of design, I like Will better. In terms of personality, well...N actually has one, so I guess he wins that one by default. Still choosing Will because N gets on my nerves sometimes.

All in all, my vote goes to Xatu for the above stated reasons.

Which one has the better design?
The abstract psychedelic condor. It looks like a surreal thing, which is very fitting for a Psychic type.
I preffer pokémon that look less like common things. Sure, Xatu is really cool too and I like it, but Sigilyph is unmatched in how weird and unique it is.

Which is more versatile?
I don't know.

Which one has the better-sounding cry?
I like Xatu's "TWO-TWO", specially thanks to certain nico nico videos. Sigilyph's cry isn't as strange as its design would like.

Which one has the cooler characters that own one?
Hm. Will is certainly cool. Though I like N, so I'll go for that.

In any case, I really like Sigilyph, mostly for its design and concept.

Last edited:
The voice that's ringing in my head as I look at Sigilyph shouts "WTF". And given the circumstances, that hardly has any positive connotation.
I'll stay by Xatu's side. Awesome Pokédex entry (a lot darker than Sigilyph's, which is meh... so boring...) and, since it's competing against Sigilyph, do I even need to mention that the design is, like, a million times less hazardous to eyes?
...And normally, I tend to love Psychic-types to death. That shows just how much I dislike Sigilyph, really.

I like both, but will go for Xatu. It is clearly the better battler with its ability. And that crazy anime episode with 3 Xatu.

Which one has the better design? Sigilyph. I love how it is based on the Nazca lines.
Which is more versatile? Sigilyph, hands down.
Which one has the better-sounding cry? Sigilyph again.
Which one has the cooler characters that own one? Sigilyph, N owns one.

I gotta choose Sigilyph here. Its design is a bit exaggerated (although it fits perfectly with its basis), but it still better than Xatu's blandness.

Like them both, but I'll go with Sigilyph. It is slightly faster and has more Special Attack (at the cost of Attack, which is useless on it). It also has a better movepool.

I also like both as well, but I'm going to go with Xatu on this one mainly for it's mystic design and Pokedex entries. Sigilyph's abstract design is just as neat though, but I never really used it much to really connect to it.

I love both these underrated Pokemon but Xatu has a pretty big edge in my books.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom