• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY 001 & 002 - Hour long special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's a twist. Ash ISN'T gonna get the Grass Starter of the region. Not that I'm complaining, in fact, I'm quite glad. It's about time they shook up the mold there, as the only Grass-type he has that isn't a Starter is Leavanny, so I think this is a great idea. Now the question is... what will Ash's Grass-type of the region be? He always has one, so what will it be this time around? Will it be Skiddo, Pumpkaboo, or Phantump? I'll take any of them, though Skiddo is first on my list, but any of them will be fun (and it'll be interesting if Ash finally and officially gets a Ghost-type if he catches Pumpkaboo/Phantump). That actually leave me pretty excited. And since he's only catching one Starter this time, I'm really hoping it evolves even just once, so Ash can actually have an evolved Water Starter this time around (if it evolves twice, then he'll have really broke the mold with his Water-types). I'm very pleased with all this, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime will fare this time around.

I wonder who this guy is...

Random trainer, or possible rival?

It was amusing how Pikachu and Ash were zapped and then thrown through a circular hole out the window. :-D

Interesting how Clemont had a blow-up like cushion in has bag to save Ash, and then Bonnie catches Pikachu.

I wonder if that Rhyhorn is only for Serena to practice riding with at home, on the road, or if she uses it for other things like battling as well.

I wonder what attack Bunnelby used against Pikachu with its ears. It seems that Ash and Clemont don't finish their battle and won't in the episode due to Team Rocket.

Now we know how Froakie got hurt, by a redirected attack.

Any idea which mega was in the silhouette on the left while Sycamore was talking?

Huh...that is surprising. The only other matter is if that means the other starters will get attention or not.

It was amusing how Pikachu and Ash were zapped and then thrown through a circular hole out the window. :-D

Interesting how Clemont had a blow-up like cushion in has bag to save Ash, and then Bonnie catches Pikachu.

I wonder if that Rhyhorn is only for Serena to practice riding with at home, on the road, or if she uses it for other things like battling as well.

I wonder what attack Bunnelby used against Pikachu with its ears. It seems that Ash and Clemont don't finish their battle and won't in the episode due to Team Rocket.

Now we know how Froakie got hurt, by a redirected attack.

Any idea which mega was in the silhouette on the left while Sycamore was talking?

I thought Team Rocket interrupting the battle was kind of obvious? I guess not.

Anyway, I think that Silhouette might be Mega Charizard Y.

No kidding, this looks amazing. Character dynamics, imo, are a very important part of any form of writing with multiple characters. A good, entertaining and refreshing character dynamic is more than enough to save the most garbage episodes from being uninteresting and I truly mean that. There are times were I think I preferred watching Iris/Ash/Cilan cross dress or Ash/May/Max/Brock be forced to work out than a more plot-advancing episode. Clemont and Bonnie have both pretty much stolen the show for me, they both just look great. Bonnie's adorable, stern, little kid like mannerisms and her expressions along with Dedenne seeming like it'll be her unofficial partner Pokemon that Clemont owns, like a much better done version of Max/Munchlax. Clemont's shining glasses alongside his voice and him seemingly frying himself. Not to mention I really like all of his Pokemon, Dedenne, Bunnelby and Chespin all remind me of Pokemon that would be used in lab experiments. Like lab rodents in real life experiments and they're all buck-toothed as well. I could totally picture an episode where he opposes a Team Flare scientist or something or one of his weird inventions goes haywire and they all have to use their Pokemon to stop it or how he's very selective and picky about who touches his work. I'm happy to see him with Chespin and surprised, I was sure Chespin would be off in limbo for a while, despite the fact I think its evos are let-downs, it's easily my favorite of the Kalos big three and I'd love to see it reach its final form. I'm glad he got the Fairy as well. He's an inventor and trainer, so his goal could simply be centralized becoming a stronger Gym Leader/potential Gym Leader and inventor-improving. I'm hoping Bonnie does get some nice CD during her time on the show, Max did learn a few things and get some character development during his era so I'm sure she will as well. Still liking her design a lot, the fact she's the only one without Sugimori Art made her design reveal the most standout.

What can I say about Serena? She's got Fennekin, but that was practically confirmed so any hopes I had of her getting the non-stereotypically girly Pokemon went out the window. Don't really have a solid opinion of her, though I have to say I'm not on board with her character being centralized around a possible affinity for Ash Ketchum. I just don't really want that, she should stand out in her own right and be her own character. But what do we know about her goal/true character so far? She likes boys and fashion. Hopefully there's more to her than that, but I'm just on the fence about her. If her Fennekin evolves, I'm not sure if I'd want it to become [spoiler-not saying name] and I'd probably just want it to be a Braixen, but who knows? Maybe I'll come to like
in the future depending on how its depicted in the anime. I'd like for them to break the mold with her a bit, make her first capture unexpected. She's surely due for one if both the boys have three Pokemon to themselves right nearly from the get go. I do hope we find out her goal soon.

Lol seriously? Ash wins over garchomp through friendship? come on at least have pikachu destroy the collar before going into that. Obvious garchomp rescue is obvious.

Looks like Serena sees Ash on TV. Wonder if that's how she knows him or she remembers him from the past? hmmm...

Well at least the battles look impressive. They somehow made Bunnelby's fist ears not look completely stupid when it was beating up Pikachu.

Shimura is directing the first 2 episodes, along with another director. And similar to what we had in DP, Tomioka is getting first 3 episodes.

Screenplay: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard: Yoshifumi Sueda (XY001) - Masakatsu Iijima (XY002)
Assistant director: Tetsuo Yajima
Animation directors: Izumi Shimura and 提舞 (??)

Seems like they're using a whole lot of Iwane key animation though, just like in the first Unova episodes. Shimura didn't magically get this good.

The battles look awesome, but they almost seems a little... too dramatic? And that VS screen still looks silly. But everything else just seems great~

The garchomp battle has such an anti climactic ending. Ash basically talk no jutsus the beast into submission after it tore up an entire city. I mean that garchomp caused countless PokeEuros worth of property damage throughout the city. Where's the justice if its allowed to just go free? The Kalos police should subject it to a year's worth of community service under Ash's care.

Because the preview totally showed that, and not Ash trying to talk Garchomp down but getting Hyper Beamed for his trouble.

Ok, I'm like seriously psyched for this. Garchomp wreaking havoc, Ash being badass and challenging it head on, Sycamore, Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena. Even Team Rocket with Wobbufett are still acting serious and cool. Everything looks awesome in just the first two episodes! I think I'm really going to enjoy this series. As long as it stays this awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom