• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation XY gameplay different from ORAS?

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
So based on the trailer, Pokemon Centers and Marts are split up. When we've been used to them being together the last 2 gens, which likely means that they're placing the merger as some kind of canonical event after the first few games, leading to some gameplay-story intergration, but that's not the topic. The topic is, what other changes can you see happening. Like, do you see the GTS returnin to the Pokemon Centers, and the PSS being completely gone? Or do you guys think only the PC/Mart split is happening?

For the sake of compatibility for X and Y, I'd rather say that they will inherit the PSS to the remakes.

If I were Game Freak, I will put the whole trainer customization on the 2nd floor of Pokemon Center.

That's my opinion.

More or less what I was thinking. The PSS will be added in since otherwise they wouldn't be able to communicate with XY (and on top of that everyone loves the PSS except for the constant reminders to do things you've done a million times), and boutiques will probably either be in the PokeCentre OR Marts - again, the PSS means customisation is a requirement.

They don't mind retconning mega evo in yet insist on keeping the centers and marts separate? It was so convenient to have them combined...

They don't mind retconning mega evo in yet insist on keeping the centers and marts separate? It was so convenient to have them combined...
Maybe it depends from the region? Not every region is the same.

Maybe they still are combined and the blue roofed buildings are now the "boutiques," or some other word for clothing store. Or maybe the marts and boutiques are combined now. Since they weren't designing a new region from scratch here I think they has to make a call as to where to add the clothing stores.

The PSS is a game-changing update, I think we'll be seeing it again in OR/AS.

My thoughts exactly. It is a bummer we will have to buy stuff and heal Pokémon in different places again.

I actually like that they've separated the Marts and Pokemon Centers again. It's true to the original and I, myself, never really liked them in one building anyway. I think we'll be able to last until Z.

Keep in mind that the new trailer mentioned that the game footage is not final, so it can be changed. Besides, Generation V and VI were the only generations to have the Center and Mart merged, so it's not far-fetched to not have that happen in ORAS.

You guys are lazy sheesh. It's just a small walk over to the next building. We've done it for four generations with no problem, so I think your virtual legs and physical thumbs will be just fine.

Anyway, I like that it will be split. Homage to the original as well as something different.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've been rather disappointed with just how similar to XY Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire look (especially when previous generations shown that games can carry different aesthetics), so I imagine that the games are basically XY at their core, just with maps and the story obviously changed to reflect Ruby/Sapphire's, so the PSS/Super Training/Pokémon-amie as a whole will probably be back (an added slide for the PokéGear would be cool though).

Maybe they still are combined and the blue roofed buildings are now the "boutiques," or some other word for clothing store. Or maybe the marts and boutiques are combined now. Since they weren't designing a new region from scratch here I think they has to make a call as to where to add the clothing stores.

Unless they have more than double the customization options, I doubt it. They wouldn't have enough options for there to be a boutique in every town, it'd probably only be in 5 or 6 towns or so.

To be honest, I've been rather disappointed with just how similar to XY Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire look (especially when previous generations shown that games can carry different aesthetics), so I imagine that the games are basically XY at their core, just with maps and the story obviously changed to reflect Ruby/Sapphire's, so the PSS/Super Training/Pokémon-amie as a whole will probably be back (an added slide for the PokéGear would be cool though).

Agreed, I don't want to say the game looks lazy, but looking at the map and the overworld, it doesn't seem like they changed much with the region design. For the most part it just looks like the originals with the 6th gen engine.

Unless they have more than double the customization options, I doubt it. They wouldn't have enough options for there to be a boutique in every town, it'd probably only be in 5 or 6 towns or so.

Agreed, I don't want to say the game looks lazy, but looking at the map and the overworld, it doesn't seem like they changed much with the region design. For the most part it just looks like the originals with the 6th gen engine.

I agree as well. Graphically, it appears as if the player is just exploring another portion of Kalos to be honest.

However, maybe they didn't have time for a significant aesthetic change. Without a doubt, ORAS' sudden release certainly had to with Nintendo's financial issues. If those issues didn't exist, then I'm sure ORAS would have come out much later with a better and distinct aesthetic overhaul.

I agree as well. Graphically, it appears as if the player is just exploring another portion of Kalos to be honest.

However, maybe they didn't have time for a significant aesthetic change. Without a doubt, ORAS' sudden release certainly had to with Nintendo's financial issues. If those issues didn't exist, then I'm sure ORAS would have come out much later with a better and distinct aesthetic overhaul.

so? Johto looks like another section of sinnoh they look alike as well. These graphics were expected from the beginning I am not disappointed because it looks like x and y I'm. Happy it looks like x and y. Its a big improvement over the originals that's for sure

so? Johto looks like another section of sinnoh they look alike as well. These graphics were expected from the beginning I am not disappointed because it looks like x and y I'm. Happy it looks like x and y. Its a big improvement over the originals that's for sure
HeartGold/SoulSilver actually looked quite different when compared to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. And then we have Black/White which manage to look completely different, despite being on the same console.

HeartGold/SoulSilver actually looked quite different when compared to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. And then we have Black/White which manage to look completely different, despite being on the same console.
To be fair, this is the first time GameFreak has ever worked with a 3D game before. Due to the release dates, I doubt that they would have time to make huge aesthetic changes. On the other hand, I get where you're going with this and agree that GameFreak could have distinguished the style of ORAS a little bit further from the XY engine. In the end, time constraints are the enemy of any potential for a fully-flesh game, even if just aesthetically.

I actually like that they've separated the Marts and Pokemon Centers again. It's true to the original and I, myself, never really liked them in one building anyway. I think we'll be able to last until Z.

Actually the merger of marts with Pokemon Centers isn't much difference aesthetically -- the bigger difference was moving the wireless functions out of the Pokemon Centers to the PSS. Kalos's Pokemon Centers felt really warm and cozy somehow.

To be fair, this is the first time GameFreak has ever worked with a 3D game before. Due to the release dates, I doubt that they would have time to make huge aesthetic changes. On the other hand, I get where you're going with this and agree that GameFreak could have distinguished the style of ORAS a little bit further from the XY engine. In the end, time constraints are the enemy of any potential for a fully-flesh game, even if just aesthetically.

I don't care about aesthetics. I just don't like that they stuck to the original design so faithfully, there's a couple of things they could've (and probably should've) improved on. I was hoping to see more changes similar to what they did with Rt. 129.

Actually the merger of marts with Pokemon Centers isn't much difference aesthetically -- the bigger difference was moving the wireless functions out of the Pokemon Centers to the PSS. Kalos's Pokemon Centers felt really warm and cozy somehow.

Yes, but I just didn't really like the change. It never felt right to buy stuff from the Center and it always looked awkward to me to have the salesclerks in the back. Kalos PokeCenters are nice, but I still like that it looks like they're separating them for the remakes~

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom