• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY0??: Grant, Viola (Battle Chateau?)

Grant looks pretty cool, not gonna lie, still wish he was on the main cast.

The pictures are broke.

We're seeing Grant and the Battle Chateau already? Dang! He's one of my favorite gym leaders so I hope they treat him well especially after what they did to poor Marlon (the only Unova GL to get barely one episode of focus, irritating...).

Pictures won't show for me ;-;

Hm, the Battle Château will be interesting. Grant showing up before his gym is cool.

Yeah, the pic aren't showing for me either..

Here's the preview tho:

[video=youtube;lYK9Kqmlujw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYK9Kqmlujw[/video]

Awesomeness coming for Pokémon XY in 2014. :drool:

Diggin' Viola's hairstyle. I love it when Gym Leaders appear outside their gym town, especially post-battle. Reminds me of the battle between Roark and Byron, first gym leader versus someone with a type advantage.

Though Surskit can go 4x with Water-Type attacks.

I'm really excited for this! It's cool to see the Gym Leaders outside of their Gyms for once (aside for say, family like Hyouta and Tougan). It makes the characters seem more special than just people Satoshi meets and battles over a span of two episodes.

Though I am concerned about one thing...

Ever since I saw the XY Opening with those silhouetted GLs, my worry voice went "Please tell me Ash isn't going to get all the badges before the next Opening :uhoh:". And now here's the second Gym Leader making his debut fairly early (though I will cop to the fact we've had badge wins (a lot) closer to each other before)

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they just showed all the GLs in the Opening for coolness and to hint conflict. Maybe what happened to the Sinnoh GLs will happen to them (maybe even better) and they'll show up a lot and have a lot of depth :)

Because surely they wouldn't have Ash get all the Kalos badges in about a year or so, right?

...RIGHT?!? 0_0

Grant looks really cool. I am actually kind of glad he was shown with an Onix, Amaura and Tyrunt look a bit too cutesy :p. That being said it hope it is added to, and doesn't replace one of, his in-game team. A 3 vs 3 gym battle against him would be lovely.

Very nice to see Viola one again.

Ever since I saw the XY Opening with those silhouetted GLs, my worry voice went "Please tell me Ash isn't going to get all the badges before the next Opening :uhoh:". And now here's the second Gym Leader making his debut fairly early (though I will cop to the fact we've had badge wins (a lot) closer to each other before)

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they just showed all the GLs in the Opening for coolness and to hint conflict. Maybe what happened to the Sinnoh GLs will happen to them (maybe even better) and they'll show up a lot and have a lot of depth :)

Because surely they wouldn't have Ash get all the Kalos badges in about a year or so, right?

...RIGHT?!? 0_0

I hope the writers will learn from their mistake of having Ash finish up so quickly that they ran out of things to do midway through the season in BW. So far, I think the pacing of XY is pretty good, as well as the character development, but I hope that it isn't so fast paced that the show ends before half the generation is over.

...RIGHT?!? 0_0

I think you're scared for nothing lol :XD2:

We got episode titles until X014 then comes: the ninja/Froakie vs. Frogadier, Malamar, Diantha , Battle Chateau episodes and maybe 3 or 4 more until Grant's Gym.

That's a 16+ episode gap right there between gym 1 and 2, acceptable imo. By BW023 Ash had 3 badges.

The opening could be used for as long as two years. He could certainly get all the badges by then.

It COULD, but there's usually a new Opening a year, after all. Though it's not exactly an annual thing. Just look at the wonkiness with BW's openings.

We got episode titles until X014 then comes: the ninja/Froakie vs. Frogadier, Malamar, Diantha , Battle Chateau episodes and maybe 3 or 4 more until Grant's Gym.

That's a 16+ episode gap right there between gym 1 and 2, acceptable imo. By BW023 Ash had 3 badges.

Good point :)

Though another thing to think about is how a 3rd version or Sequel Games could shake things up (again) :-\

...RIGHT?!? 0_0

If your going off of that then they should already have bumped into Korina, or at least her Lucario, which happened in-game after you left Lumiose City to go to Route 5. Of course, the game is merely, a basis for the anime so it won't be exactly like that.

Interesting that Grant has an Onix in this battle considering he never did in-game but I'm guessing they're saving the fossils for later.

Regardless, it's always nice to see how the different gym leaders stack up to each other and giving more screentime and development to them is always a plus.

This looks like it'll be an epic battle between them. Likely this'll be two on two. I wonder why Grant is using Onix.... It might be that they don't want him using the fossil Pokemon in the Gym, or maybe he'll only have one of them. Hopefully there's more than just Viola vs Grant for the Battle Chateau and that it's an arc of episodes of sorts.

This looks like it'll be an epic battle between them. Likely this'll be two on two. I wonder why Grant is using Onix.....
Well if grant does use Onix, i hope Ash has Pikachu set off the fire sprinklers again

It COULD, but there's usually a new Opening a year, after all. Though it's not exactly an annual thing. Just look at the wonkiness with BW's openings.
In every region so far, the first opening was used for well over a year (80 episodes in Kanto, 75 episodes in Johto, 69 episodes in Hoenn, 95 episodes in Sinnoh and 84 episodes in Unova).

Though another thing to think about is how a 3rd version or Sequel Games could shake things up (again) :-\
The next games will affect things unless they're a third version or remakes, which I doubt. XY have blatant references to a new region being introduced in the foreseeable future. If that is the case, there is no reason why the Kalos badge quest should be stretched out. The gap between the first two gyms is not representative of the future since that's the longest gap in the games.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom