• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

PREVIEW: XY0??: Grant, Viola (Battle Chateau?)

Reaction score
I think that Grant having an Onix is like what we saw in Pokemon Origins where Gym Leaders don't actually have two/three/four pokemon but a plethora of pokemon of their main type and that they only use their team when challenging the player based on the number of badges they have.

Or maybe they're doing what they did to Elesa and gave her an extra Pokemon that wasn't in their game party.

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
Ah, this is an interesting take on the chateau. I think this is a one-off, though. It's nice to see the gym leaders in their Marquis/Marchioness role, though.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars
Reaction score
Grant looks really good. Like really good. I hope he's just using Onix here, and saving his in-game team for the match with Ash.

Reaction score
Cool! I expect to see all the gym leaders. And Clemont must wear battle chateau clothes. Grant looks cool but I still don't care for him.

Reaction score
I wonder if the Battle Chateau is only for gym leaders or if Viola and Grant's battle is a sort of exhibition match like what they did with the Junior World Cup in BW.

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
Love Grants outfit! Hope he defeats Viola and proves to be though! He maybe defeats Ash in an unofficial battle? Hope we see Tyrunt/Amaura in this too and not only Onix.

G50

Night Owl
Reaction score
Hopefully it isn't an exhibition match, I'd really like to see who would win between the two Gym Leaders. If it's a regular battle to see who's stronger, I hope that it's 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 with neither side sweeping the other. Seeing them both down to their last Pokemon would be pretty cool.

There is a chance that it'll be 1-on-1, since the Battle Chateau in-game is all one-on-one battles iirc.

The Coolest Character in the Worst Series
Reaction score
The gap between the first two gyms is not representative of the future.
I know. Just saying.

Heck, it's looking like we could have TWO regions this generation...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ever since I saw the XY Opening with those silhouetted GLs, my worry voice went "Please tell me Ash isn't going to get all the badges before the next Opening :uhoh:". And now here's the second Gym Leader making his debut fairly early (though I will cop to the fact we've had badge wins (a lot) closer to each other before)

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they just showed all the GLs in the Opening for coolness and to hint conflict. Maybe what happened to the Sinnoh GLs will happen to them (maybe even better) and they'll show up a lot and have a lot of depth :)
Battle Frontier had all the Brains silhouetted, and Spurt came in before the final two were ever revealed. The opening will last as long as it will last, the silhouettes, really have no bearing on that.

Reaction score
lets hope this battle won't be interrupted by Team Rocket like with Roark vs Byron.

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Grant looks pretty cool, not gonna lie, still wish he was on the main cast.
Yes, I love how he looks. And I am still a bit salty about the lack of racial diversity in the actual main cast.

That being said, Citron is an amazing male companion and I have no complains about him.

Anyway, it is nice good to see Viola will not just disappear from the show after her defeat. She is looking great.

I'd rather they save Zakuro's main Pokémon for the gym battle, so he using an Iwark in this episode isn't that bad, although they could have gave him another Rock-type, perhaps a not so overused one? I mean, fuck Iwark. That thing is everywhere, EVERYWHERE.

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
I am happy that they seem to give GLs more focus in the anime. XY was great pokemon games but the GLs did not get enogh focus. With this ep Viola has three appearances so far and Grant has one before the actual battle. Keep it up, writers!
And I just want to say that I agree with @Relia; about Onix. We have many Rock types. Use one of them instead would be better.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa
Reaction score
Yes, I love how he looks. And I am still a bit salty about the lack of racial diversity in the actual main cast.
Speaking of which, I hope the XY Anime doesn't "white-wash" the COTDs when the games this time around had a large amount of POC, so far the only one we've seen is the dude who pops up 3 seconds in the OP. It sort of bothered me how in Best Wishes the only ones we saw were Iris and Aloe, despite taking place in "America" more or less.

I'm A Bit-I Mean Witch
Reaction score
I hope that Amaura and Tyrunt are kept for the gym battle.

I swear if he uses Geodude too I will jvnkenrnvjerogneotgntojhrt.

mientes
Reaction score
grant is way more attractive in the anime than in the game that's for sure

i'm wondering if citron will get recognized as a marquis? he may not be the "active" gym leader, but surely that doesnt change his status?

i'm just thinking of how ridiculous it would be that because he left the gym in care of a robot he also strips himself of his marquis status

The Coolest Character in the Worst Series
Reaction score
i'm wondering if citron will get recognized as a marquis? he may not be the "active" gym leader, but surely that doesnt change his status?

i'm just thinking of how ridiculous it would be that because he left the gym in care of a robot he also strips himself of his marquis status
Chances are that's what'll happen :-(

Like Brock, Misty, and Cilan (Iris doesn't count), he really won't be considered/treated as a Gym Leader very much and be treated more like "one of Ash's friends"...