• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY0??: Grant, Viola (Battle Chateau?)

I think that Grant having an Onix is like what we saw in Pokemon Origins where Gym Leaders don't actually have two/three/four pokemon but a plethora of pokemon of their main type and that they only use their team when challenging the player based on the number of badges they have.

Or maybe they're doing what they did to Elesa and gave her an extra Pokemon that wasn't in their game party.

Ah, this is an interesting take on the chateau. I think this is a one-off, though. It's nice to see the gym leaders in their Marquis/Marchioness role, though.

Grant looks really good. Like really good. I hope he's just using Onix here, and saving his in-game team for the match with Ash.

Cool! I expect to see all the gym leaders. And Clemont must wear battle chateau clothes. Grant looks cool but I still don't care for him.

I wonder if the Battle Chateau is only for gym leaders or if Viola and Grant's battle is a sort of exhibition match like what they did with the Junior World Cup in BW.

Love Grants outfit! Hope he defeats Viola and proves to be though! He maybe defeats Ash in an unofficial battle? Hope we see Tyrunt/Amaura in this too and not only Onix.

Hopefully it isn't an exhibition match, I'd really like to see who would win between the two Gym Leaders. If it's a regular battle to see who's stronger, I hope that it's 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 with neither side sweeping the other. Seeing them both down to their last Pokemon would be pretty cool.

There is a chance that it'll be 1-on-1, since the Battle Chateau in-game is all one-on-one battles iirc.

The gap between the first two gyms is not representative of the future.

I know. Just saying.

Heck, it's looking like we could have TWO regions this generation...

Last edited:
Ever since I saw the XY Opening with those silhouetted GLs, my worry voice went "Please tell me Ash isn't going to get all the badges before the next Opening :uhoh:". And now here's the second Gym Leader making his debut fairly early (though I will cop to the fact we've had badge wins (a lot) closer to each other before)

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they just showed all the GLs in the Opening for coolness and to hint conflict. Maybe what happened to the Sinnoh GLs will happen to them (maybe even better) and they'll show up a lot and have a lot of depth :)
Battle Frontier had all the Brains silhouetted, and Spurt came in before the final two were ever revealed. The opening will last as long as it will last, the silhouettes, really have no bearing on that.

Grant looks pretty cool, not gonna lie, still wish he was on the main cast.
Yes, I love how he looks. And I am still a bit salty about the lack of racial diversity in the actual main cast.

That being said, Citron is an amazing male companion and I have no complains about him.

Anyway, it is nice good to see Viola will not just disappear from the show after her defeat. She is looking great.

I'd rather they save Zakuro's main Pokémon for the gym battle, so he using an Iwark in this episode isn't that bad, although they could have gave him another Rock-type, perhaps a not so overused one? I mean, fuck Iwark. That thing is everywhere, EVERYWHERE.

I am happy that they seem to give GLs more focus in the anime. XY was great pokemon games but the GLs did not get enogh focus. With this ep Viola has three appearances so far and Grant has one before the actual battle. Keep it up, writers!
And I just want to say that I agree with @Relia; about Onix. We have many Rock types. Use one of them instead would be better.

Yes, I love how he looks. And I am still a bit salty about the lack of racial diversity in the actual main cast.

Speaking of which, I hope the XY Anime doesn't "white-wash" the COTDs when the games this time around had a large amount of POC, so far the only one we've seen is the dude who pops up 3 seconds in the OP. It sort of bothered me how in Best Wishes the only ones we saw were Iris and Aloe, despite taking place in "America" more or less.

I hope that Amaura and Tyrunt are kept for the gym battle.

I swear if he uses Geodude too I will jvnkenrnvjerogneotgntojhrt.

grant is way more attractive in the anime than in the game that's for sure

i'm wondering if citron will get recognized as a marquis? he may not be the "active" gym leader, but surely that doesnt change his status?

i'm just thinking of how ridiculous it would be that because he left the gym in care of a robot he also strips himself of his marquis status

i'm wondering if citron will get recognized as a marquis? he may not be the "active" gym leader, but surely that doesnt change his status?

i'm just thinking of how ridiculous it would be that because he left the gym in care of a robot he also strips himself of his marquis status

Chances are that's what'll happen :-(

Like Brock, Misty, and Cilan (Iris doesn't count), he really won't be considered/treated as a Gym Leader very much and be treated more like "one of Ash's friends"...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom