• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY001: We've Arrived in the Kalos Region! The Beginning of Dreams and Adventures!! ・ XY002: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower!

I just watched both episodes, and while I can't actually say a lot of stuff that haven't been said before, it was amazing. You can actually see how deeply Ash cares about Pokémon much more than before, and that's because he helped Froakie, Pikachu and Garchomp when they were in trouble. And they all were in trouble a lot.

About Clemont, I can identify with him a bit, something no character did to me before. It's also funny how he doesn't seem to be a very physically active person. Bonnie, on the other hand, seems to be more lively, and she manages to be really cute rather than annoying. Her laugh... I have to praise her actress for that.

Team Rocket seem to finally find their right balance between competent and funny, Wobbuffet included. The motto was awesome and the BGM for it seems to be made to go along with the animation, unlike before. The only thing I didn't like about them was how fast they were blasted off the second time.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to thanks to this episodes are the extras. I was expecting them to move around in this series, but they didn't. However, they were awesome, specially the ones who were watching Garchomp in the tower. It did feel realist how it was a random person the one who first noticed Ash, how everybody commented on it, and how there was this girl who was recording everything with her smartphone. Those details I love.

The best part of TRio in these two episodes was that not only were they able to cause trouble while they were in action but they only blasted off because of minor miscalculations. I mean if they keep up this blend of competence and comedy then I won't complain about them even though I never really had a problem with to begin with but more so their treatment and overly poor portrayal.

Judging by the (awesome) opening it looks like we'll have another group of 4 like with AG, and if that's the case I can't wait since that leads lots of room for some great character interactions.

I love Clemont and Bonnie. They're just so great and cute. I'm wondering if they'll still make Clemont the gym leader in the anime. The feeling I got when Ash asked about the gym was that he was just trying to hide his leader status for now but I could be wrong since they didn't make Iris a gym leader in the anime.

I liked Serena's scenes too and I'm really curious to see what role she'll play in the group. She has a Fennekin in the opening so I'm amusing she'll be a new trainer but we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm also really loving Ash. Seeing him really care for pokemon is when I love him the best. I hope he stays like this during the entire series because I'll just love his character even more. He looks older in this series so I'm wondering if he's possibly older/younger than Clemont or if they're around the same age. Serena looks a little older than 10 to me too but that's not really anything new for me since a lot of anime characters look older or younger than they actually are, and she is supposed to be older in the games.

So far this series is giving me AG vibes, and with that being one of my favorites that's a good thing. This is probably my favorite beginning to a series. Keep it up, XY :DD

Well, I'm a day late, but I watched the two premier episodes myself. And all I have to say is that I'm glad how it started. I don't know if I can add anything to what has already been said, but I will echo how content I am with how the XY series started. Just about everything about these two episodes gave the series a good first impression.

For starters, I like how Ash gives a "fresh start" vibe, while still displaying competence and experience by actually using smart strategy in his first Kalos battle. I'm liking Clemont and Bonnie already, too. Bonnie's character has been set so that she acts her age and yet is still likeable, and a trainer who acts as a "science nerd" has much potential for a fun character. I'll hold my judgment on Serena for now, but she seems to have potential, too. I look forward to seeing how she first met Ash.

About the only thing I didn't really like is that Pikachu's Iron Tail animation is back to being the ordinary white glow effect it was before BW. I did actually like that it looked more like a tail made of iron in BW, but this isn't really a big loss, either.

On the plus side, I do quite like Hyper Beam's new animation. I was surprised when I read (yeah, I managed to find the episodes subbed) that it was Hyper Beam.

All in all, a terrific start to a new series. So, as long the writers can keep this up, XY could potentially be one of my favorite series.

What I had to say was already said by other people here.

I'm very excited. Satoshi looks like he's better than his BW counterpart again.

Citron seems very likeable so far, and I don't mind Eureka. Though that can change with later episodes, I have to admit I worry about that.

And Serena? I already love her. She seems definitely different from her in-game character. And I think that's what I like the most. Oh, and the fact, so far, her personality seems different from that of Haruka and Hikari. She appears to be more self-centered?

I admit I had hopes for BW when it started too. But the premiere was rather slow (IMO), so my impression wasn't quite the same as this one. It was definitely the best start comparetively.
I didn't expect a good battle scene in the very first episode. I was so happy to see I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rocket Dan and I love how they were in-character (maybe we should stop worrying about that, it's clear they realised it wasn't a good idea to make them drone-like) but these episodes make me worry they will go back to making the trio hijack every single non-League related episode. The one thing I liked about Best Wishes was how they weren't always there necessarily to hijack the story.

Serena's scenes weren't irrelevant. Not every character is supposed to be playing a role in what Satoshi-tachi are doing at the very moment. Those scenes introduced her as a character. In other anime/stories a lot of foreshadowing and character development is made through scenes that are paralel but distant from where and what the protagonist is doing...

Oh and I totally agree with Gabo. It might have been just an excuse to have Serena see Satoshi on-screen, but the whole reporter thing and all the people startled by the rampaging Gaburias was a very nice touch.

Now, I don't expect them to keep this quality through the entire series. But here's hoping they can keep a relatively high level.

...I'm worried about one more thing though... The game didn't introduce a lot of new pokemon, and the content is really short compared to previous games. I'm afraid that will impact the anime greatly. It kinda feels like it will be quite a while until Gamefreaks release the next gen... With Gen 6 coming out so quickly after B2/W2... That means the anime will either:
A) Have very slow pacing when it comes to badges progression
B) Pull a "Battle Frontier" on us because of a long interlude for Gen 7

Last edited:
These episodes were really good!

I liked how Satoshi and Citron battled and that they were both able to show off their skills and impress eachother. Eureka was cool and completely unlike what I thought she'd be. Didn't really like Keromatsu but I liked the Gaburias and hope it appears again mega evolved.

Loved the music choices, especially the Gym battle theme which I don't like in the games but the anime version is really good.

Who's That Pokémon? (English dub, XY001)
WTP_XY001.png

It had no opening in the dub... I am guessing because of the whole 'sneak peek' thing.

I cant believe they didn't have an opening, especially seeing as all there songs go like

We are friends for ever
Insert Pokemon
We can last for ever
Insert Pokemon

And so on

Guess they couldn't fit it, with that awsum op :p

No complaints about any of the dub voices, all of them sound unique enough from previous characters and seem just right for the characters.

That line in the intro about people crying when Pokemon cry was a bit off - I assume that's a direct translation, but why?

I just saw the French version of the two episodes and really, everything was perfect. The music, the voices, the animation... yes, i repeat everything is perfect!

So far the dub is actually good, all the original music is there, the voices are good. The Rocket motto is still the original Kanto motto for the one who asked.

preview episodes usally don't have openings sometimes. It will have a opening when it airs around january.

Voice-wise, I really like clemont's the most.

No complaints about any of the dub voices, all of them sound unique enough from previous characters and seem just right for the characters.

That line in the intro about people crying when Pokemon cry was a bit off - I assume that's a direct translation, but why?
Yeah, it was a direct translation, but I don't really think it's off, it's really just talking about how humans share emotions with Pokemon, so it makes sense. I'm pretty sure the narrator has said that line a couple of times before. In Japanese, at least.

I would have reviewed the episode itself, but by the time I saw it everything I had to say was already said :( So I'll just talk about the dub:

I really hope the opening was missing because it's a special preview (did 4Kids do that with the AG preview?), although with their track record lately I doubt TPCi could come up with a very good opening. It seems like there's no dub music-Although it's hard to tell because the music is still so quiet in the background- but it's probably just like what they did with the first five Best Wishes episodes (hopefully not). And even though they didn't keep the really cool eyecatch from the Japanese version, at least they kept the music!

About the voices, the regulars keep getting better and better, but I don't know how I feel about the new ones. Clemont's is pretty good, Bonnie's has the potential to be incredibly annoying or incredibly cute depending on how her voice actress plays it, and Serena's kind of bothered me at first but it grew on me in her short scenes.

-TR's motto was 100% the original, and James even said "to unite ALL peoples" instead of "the people!"

-Clemont reminds me of Colress with his glowing glasses and obsession with science.

-Ash tumbling down the stairs on the airstrip fit his introduction to the region perfectly. :-D

-I love how the first episode opened just like the games, with a Fletchling waking up Serena! (although I missed most of that scene because I pressed the wrong button on the remote... i'm in a hotel.)

-Froakie's foam is called "frubbles?" And there's a difference between which offensive action is considered a "move" and what isn't? (Which is why Wobbuffet couldn't Mirror Coat the frubbles... And maybe the reason why big glowy retractable claws are considered a move while realistically scratching at somebody isn't?)

-Interesting to see Iron Tail with its original animation colored white instead of metal. And why did Double Slap look like a Fighting move?

-For some reason I thought Garchomp would go Mega. That collar possessing it reminded me of Colress too.

-Lumiose Gym was rediculous in the way it kicked Ash out.

-Sycamore's voice was a little deeper than what I expected.

-I also was put off by the lack of an intro. The episodes did end a little earlier than average, though.

Is it just me, or did they keep all the original music in those two episodes? Though to be honest, PUSA did the same thing during the first five episodes of BW before they went back to replacing the music, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. The dub voices all sound decent though.

BTW, there was no opening when 4Kids did the preview for AG.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or did they keep all the original music in those two episodes? Though to be honest, PUSA did the same thing during the first five episodes of BW before they went back to replacing the music, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I was also surprised The dub voices all sound decent though.

BTW, there was no opening when 4Kids did the preview for AG.
Yep, both episodes had all of the Japanese music even the eyecatches. I don't have my hopes up at all. The moment the dub starts replacing the music again I will never watch the dub again and stick to the Japanese version only as it's ridiculous that this still is an issue in 2013. At least the script is about 85%-90% accurate, and the voice acting is not as big of an issue as it was back in BF-early DP. I just hate that TPCi thinks they can score the show better than Shinji Miyazaki can.

Just watched the dub's sneak peak.

I have to say I'm impressed. It ended up being a bit better than Black and White so far. At least Ash seems a bit smarter and actually recognizes Pokemon he's seen before. And unlike in BW, he wasn't resetted and dumbed down. There was actually continuation from Unova and he knew his experience from past series. The new writers and new director and really made a intriguing and intense story in my opinion. The animation is a step up from BW too especially in things like when Ash catches a Pokemon and Team Rocket's motto.

Clemont's awesome so far and Bonnie, his sister is too adorable for words. I was expecting Clemont's voice to be nerdier but I still liked it. Froakie was the star of the two episodes and he was so beastly all throughout. I'm glad he went with Ash in the end, could really help him out. Serena's temper was interesting, her voice was not bad either probably has to grow on me. Overall I was satisfied with it and really want to see if it gets better from here.

Last edited:
I LOVED this special. It was so entertaining. The first episode was nice, but the second was amazing.

First episode: Not much happened here, but...CLEMONT! Love him. Love his voice. Love everything about him. Bonnie was pretty cute too. Her voice isn't what I would've expected, but I think it's nice nonetheless. Serena was good as well, but I wish we could have seen more of her. The battle between Ash and Clemont was great. Also, Wobbuffet was pretty good actually being used for battle. Then Froakie. This episode actually makes me like Froakie. Probably just this one though.

Second episode: First of all, why is Serena practicing Ryhorn racing in her pajamas? You'd think she wouldn't want them to get dirty. Anyway, Clemont is so adorable. Running slow and getting tired out quickly. Sycamore is awesome as expected. So Froakie's been abandoned by several trainers? Well, at least it's a bit different from past starters. Skipping ahead...Garchomp starts rampaging Clemont holds on to Bonnie (so cute), and Ash and Froakie go to save the day! Pikachu falls of the roof and then...MEGA BLAZIKEN!Then Ash catches Froakie...but where did he get the Poké Ball?

Anyway, this might be my favorite intro to a series. Ash being a badass and stopping a rampaging Garchomp on his first day in a new region. Awsome new characters and pure epicness. I must say that I really like Clemont and Bonnie. Clemont is adorable and I really like the way that Bonnie admires Clemont's skills, as opposed to Max dissing May most of the time. Serena looks like she'll be interesting as well, especially since she knows Ash. I can't wait for the series to start here!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom