• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY001: We've Arrived in the Kalos Region! The Beginning of Dreams and Adventures!! ・ XY002: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower!

Perhaps it's the new generation excitement, but I absolutely loved it!

I already adore Clemont and Bonnie, who have a similar brother and sister relationship that I've missed since May and Max left the show. I feared that Bonnie was going to be an annoying "Wise Beyond Their Years" type of young character, but she actually seems very realistic so far, and she's seriously cute. I have to wonder what the hell was up with the Gym rejecting Ash in such a dangerous manner, though. Would Clemont really design something like that, or is there something more sinister going on? Whatever's happening, I can't wait to see more from both characters.

I also really like Froakie so far, who I'm getting many Snivy-like vibes from. Seeing through Team Rocket's disguise surely makes it the most intelligent Pokemon or human in the main cast ever. Love how it was waiting for Ash with a Pokeball to be caught with at the end. Pokemon that can make their own decisions are always cool in my book.

I don't know what to think of Serena yet, but she seems okay so far, and I'm interested to see what kind of relationship she has with Ash.

So, all in all, I have a good feeling about this series, and I can't wait to see more!

Sigh. The dub is so incompetent it can never get the background music done right. For once the music was not replaced and the original score was left 100% intact... but of course the dub chose to lower the volume of the music so it's barely hearable...

Also, did anyone else find the way Froakie quietly waited for Ash to catch him, even supplying the Pokeball, oddly adorable?

As soon as I read this I just pictured Keromatsu actually screwing up a few times beforehand
like pressing the pokeball button by accident and being like "SHIT" after it's sucked in

it really is ugly cute n_n especially when it does the foam thing

Excellent episode with a brilliant start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I finally saw the episodes and loved them both. I was finally able to sit through an episode and be all excited about what happened next, BW was really boring :/

Ok, I really loved Ash in both of the episodes. Other than the beginning of the first episode he seemed back his AG / DP self, really using strategies and being ready to stand up Team Rocket like that. I also loved that he remembered the Pokemon he saw in the past without scanning them and mentioned how Team Rocket keeps following him, hurray for Pokemon writers for remembering these things finally, seems like they forgot a lot of that back when BW was airing. Of course, loved Ash risking his life to save Pokemon, that's always been one of my favorite aspects of his character, I thought Sarah did a really good job with Ash's VA here, that's just me. Did I mention how much I love Ash's new outfit? Looks really good on him. Tied with AG Ash outfit as my favorite.

Team Rocket, love that they are back to being more comical, still Meowth's VA seems to have a hard time doing his voice, it's hard to listen to at times. I like how people keep getting shocked over Meowth being able to talk, that's nice.

New professor, like the guy even better than Oak, like his sense of humor and his interests in discovering Mega Pokemon. Wonder if Ash will Mega one of his previous Pokemon? Wouldn't mind that.

Really liking the new characters, new sidekick male ( Forgot his name ) Seems out of shape, that should give us some funny moments, poor guy going to get left behind a lot I think like Brock did in the films LOL. Bonnie is simply too cute, like her relationship with her brother and Ash. Serena, loving her and am curious what kind of History she has with Ash, can't wait to find out.

Action was good, I can watch it over and over again and not get bored. I hope gets famous in this region due to what happened, heck he should have been famous along time ago for the thing he did. What's wrong with a little fame for him? :(

Over all, best way to start off a series. Can't wait for the next episode, till than will stay tuned to the subs.

I actually enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'm looking forward to the future ones! I got bored from Best Wishes, so seeing XY is a relief. Can't wait for Ash and Serena to meet! On a side note, Garchomp and Mega Blaziken were so awesome.

Absolutely an amazing two episodes. Music was awesome, battles were awesome, and really you couldn't have asked for better characters. I am IN LOVE with Serena. I predict she's gonna be a favorite of this series. I may be forgetting something about the series but so far I have no idea how she could relate to Ash or how he relates to his past. That is something I'm looking forward to finding out.

Clemont and Bonnie are an awesome duo, wouldn't it be cool if they somehow met up with May and Max later. It would be an interesting dynamic to see how they interacted, but I digress.

All in all I think these two episodes have started the series off beautifully! Just have to hope for more stuff like this in the future!

Really liking the new characters, new sidekick male ( Forgot his name )

It's Clemont. Why it's pronounced like Clementine, I don't know. But anyway...

Oh. My. Lord. I am so glad they dubbed this so soon. I loved these episodes.
Let's start with the Lumiose City Gym. I hope it doesn't zap all the unsuspecting beginner trainers with no badges like that. That's just harsh.
Clemont's backpack is super cool and I honestly hope he invents more attachments for it as XY progresses.
Bonnie is way cute. I LOVE her voice!
WOBBUFFET! Oh my Gawd! I missed you so much, you punching bag, you! Do more stuff, Wobbuffet!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch this again.

Wow, just watched the Dubbed version. They chose the worst voices for Serena, Clemont and Bonnie. I'm sticking with the subbed version.

Surprisingly good start, but maybe my expectations were just extremely low after Black and White.

Can't wait for the next episode, where city officials insist on Garchomp being put down.

Ok, so I finally saw the episodes and loved them both. I was finally able to sit through an episode and be all excited about what happened next, BW was really boring :/

Ok, I really loved Ash in both of the episodes. Other than the beginning of the first episode he seemed back his AG / DP self, really using strategies and being ready to stand up Team Rocket like that. I also loved that he remembered the Pokemon he saw in the past without scanning them and mentioned how Team Rocket keeps following him, hurray for Pokemon writers for remembering these things finally, seems like they forgot a lot of that back when BW was airing. Of course, loved Ash risking his life to save Pokemon, that's always been one of my favorite aspects of his character, I thought Sarah did a really good job with Ash's VA here, that's just me. Did I mention how much I love Ash's new outfit? Looks really good on him. Tied with AG Ash outfit as my favorite.

Team Rocket, love that they are back to being more comical, still Meowth's VA seems to have a hard time doing his voice, it's hard to listen to at times. I like how people keep getting shocked over Meowth being able to talk, that's nice.

New professor, like the guy even better than Oak, like his sense of humor and his interests in discovering Mega Pokemon. Wonder if Ash will Mega one of his previous Pokemon? Wouldn't mind that.

Really liking the new characters, new sidekick male ( Forgot his name ) Seems out of shape, that should give us some funny moments, poor guy going to get left behind a lot I think like Brock did in the films LOL. Bonnie is simply too cute, like her relationship with her brother and Ash. Serena, loving her and am curious what kind of History she has with Ash, can't wait to find out.

Action was good, I can watch it over and over again and not get bored. I hope gets famous in this region due to what happened, heck he should have been famous along time ago for the thing he did. What's wrong with a little fame for him? :(

Over all, best way to start off a series. Can't wait for the next episode, till than will stay tuned to the subs.

Excellent episode with a brilliant start. Screw the rest of BW, I wanna see more of this ¬_¬. Do a Yugioh GX and keave the rest undubbed, no one will care... well some will but then again they're just useless filler, Kalos all the way.

I actually enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'm looking forward to the future ones! I got bored from Best Wishes, so seeing XY is a relief. Can't wait for Ash and Serena to meet! On a side note, Garchomp and Mega Blaziken were so awesome.

BW was still a great interesting series so far. XY is having an wonderful start as of right now, i'm glad the writers are not having Ash go back to his AG/DP self which makes this series even more better.

Serena and her Mom are both hot and oh yeah sexy.

It's good to see Team Rocket still being both serious & funny at the sametime.

A really great episode for the XY series.

Last edited:
Wait up, the dub came out already? I'll watch it, but I have a feeling that the sub version is better.

But who was that girl that "remembers" Ash? Was that little clip of him somehting old (i've not followed the show for a while)? Funny to think she might be a character from his past we dont know about.

I just watched the dub of the first two episodes. No opening? Guess they are waiting for the XY dub to get up and running for real in 2014 to show it, the ending instrumental sounded nice though. Anyway the voices for the new characters sound great, and Team Rocket's motto sounds right again (to unite "all" people instead of "the", Wobbufett), and I'm loving it. I've got absolutely no complaints so far, this was a superb start to the season.

Last edited:
Oh my god I'm so embarrassed, I literally cried at the end when Froakie wanted to go with Ash. It was just too adorable. I'm really surprised, so far I like all the characters, a welcome change from how much I detest Iris and Cilan. Clemont's voice surprised me, but I think I can get used to it. Sycamore's voice was near-perfect, if a little hammy. And Serena sounds and acts like a real preteen girl, but not in a way that's too annoying. I really do wonder about the Mega Blaziken Man. Is this going to be a season-long mystery, or longer? Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Excellent episode with a brilliant start. Screw the rest of BW, I wanna see more of this ¬_¬. Do a Yugioh GX and keave the rest undubbed, no one will care... well some will but then again they're just useless filler, Kalos all the way.

In my eyes, this new saga seems very promising and a lot better than BW! I loved the second episode and Serena is just incredibly beautiful!! I already love this character.

The team rocket was perfectly in-characters.

I reconcile myself with the anime ;)

Serena is an interesting female character atleast she won't turn out being anything like May/Dawn which is a goodthing.

One of the best starts to another interesting series XY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chuckled when the tree branch Team Rocket was holding onto couldn't handle the extra weight of Wobbuffet and broke off, mainly because I didn't see the gag coming.

I enjoyed the two episodes overall.

I'm surprised to hear the mixed reaction to the new dub voices.

I mean, we only have two episodes to compare them two, and I found the new voices authentic sounding. They felt right. To me, anyway.

Is it me or did Froakie sound like a mix of Stitch and Gollum in the dub? XD

Also Clemont's voice is deeper than I expected. It kind of sounded like Kirbopher at first but I could tell it wasn't him. At least they didn't give him a stereotypical nerdy voice. Bonnie sounds just as cute as she does in the sub to me, and I liked Sycamore, Serena, and her mom's voices just fine. Ash's voice has gotten a bit deeper though. Maybe it's because I haven't watched the dub in a while since I watched a majority of BW subbed.

Team Rocket's alliterations and puns are back T_T
but Wobbuffet's back :DDDDDDDD

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom