• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY001: We've Arrived in the Kalos Region! The Beginning of Dreams and Adventures!! ・ XY002: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower!

"Bonnie playing with an Azurill in the professor's lab as a Psyduck looks on in the background is obviously meant to be a giant slap in the face to Misty fans everywhere"

...said no sane person, ever.

One thing that bothers me is how everyone is saying that these are the best beginning episodes for any region. Isn't that what everyone said about Best Wishes?
Nope, they didn't as far as I remember. Pikachu didn't lose against a starter Pokémon from a rookie Trainer this time.

Actually, they did. Even though people were upset about him losing to Shooti, they still liked it overall. Just look at the archived review threads for that episode.

I don't think the writers are going back to the AG/DP days which makes things a lot more better for the show.
Compared to the trainwreck of a storyboard that BW had, it best that the writers go back to the DP days.

XY is turning out to be an interesting new series just the BW series, XY is ten times better then DP.
Has the series even premiered yet? from what i've seen it looks to be just as good as DP.

Seriously after seeing all your in this section of the forums i don't think you really watched the anime in recent years. BW starting out good but after Japan was hit by that earthquake, the writing, storyboard and character development all when to hell, comparded AG, DP and even OS, BW was a big mess of wasted potential. XY doesn't need to follow that.

These were two action filled episodes! The animation and music was nice, and I loved the personality everyone showed! Ash being excited to be in a new region is one of the things I look forward to the most in a new saga because of how eccentric and fun he becomes, and this didn't disappoint at all. The battling was good and fun too, with no side completely overpowering the other. Bunnelby was really smart and cute too. I'm also glad that Bonnie can be critical of what somebody does and a character that can motivate them. Clemont is really smart too, so hopefully he comes up with clever ideas on what to do to get out of tricky situations and solving problems in episodes. I'm seeing a lot of personality from Serena already, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she interacts with the group, and how she'll improve at Ryhorn racing. I'm not a big fan of romance and I don't really care about it seriously, but I'm interested in seeing the cute moments and the hilarity it might bring :p!

The plot for the second episode was already overused, but I think I liked the action the most in this one. Lots of damage was being done to Lumoise, and the animation really helped suck me into the action. Stuff like the news reporters using helicopters to help film and report on what's going on was really great, and people taking videos of what's happening made what was going on to be a lot more realistic. The Mega Blaziken trainer only appeared for a bit, but hopefully he gets an episode for himself so we could know more about him. I'd still love if he was Ash's main rival. Overall these were two great episodes that helped set up what's to come in this saga, so hopefully the next episodes don't disappoint!

I only saw a few screenshots of the episode, but they looked really cool! And by reading everyone's comments, it seems this episode is totally worth it - I should watch it sometime later :D

Compared to the trainwreck of a storyboard that BW had, it best that the writers go back to the DP days.

XY is turning out to be an interesting new series just the BW series, XY is ten times better then DP.
Has the series even premiered yet? from what i've seen it looks to be just as good as DP.

Seriously after seeing all your in this section of the forums i don't think you really watched the anime in recent years. BW starting out good but after Japan was hit by that earthquake, the writing, storyboard and character development all when to hell, comparded AG, DP and even OS, BW was a big mess of wasted potential. XY doesn't need to follow that.

Wrong i have been watching the for a very long, you are wrong about a lot of things. DP was a big mess while BW was an hugh improvement for the show, OS/AG/BW writting was much better then DP's.

I'm really enjoying the XY preview. This series is looking good by the mintue.

Wrong i have been watching the for a very long, you are wrong about a lot of things. DP was a big mess while BW was an hugh improvement for the show, OS/AG/BW writting was much better then DP's.

I'm really enjoying the XY preview. This series is looking good by the mintue.
your-kidding-right.jpg

Drop this discussion right now. This is a talkback thread for the first two episodes of XY. This isn't the place to discuss the strengths of the previous series or to compare XY with any of the previous series either. Any further off-topic posts will be subjected to being deleted and infractions could be given out. Thank you and please get back to the actual topic of this thread.

Well as a veteran of the show I has one thing to say...

WOBBUFETT'S BACK BOYS!!!!!

WOBBU WOBBU!!!!!

I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!!

By the way, is team rocket using some of Colress' research? That cube thingy looks very Colressie.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, is team rocket using some of Colress' research? That cube thingy looks very Colressie.

I was wondering the same thing... they may have stolen his idea with controlling Pokemon. They are smart enough to re-invent something like that.

Ive seen both episodes and loved them. Its the first time that I've actually liked the entire cast... and Serena is so pretty! I like pretty.

This was better than Episode 1 (but more disappointing), but still not that great.

-Serena's scenes were irrelevant to the rest of the episode, just like in Episode 1.
-None of the characters introduced in this episode were any good, Mega Blaziken guy's only purpose is to be a DEM.
-Team Rocket was worse than ever! All they did was just stand there and let Garchomp blast them off after James put the collar around his neck. Also, the JP title has the words "Mega Evolution" in them, but the only trace of Mega Evolutions are when Professor Sycamore is explaining them to Ash and co., and the Mega Blaziken and its trainer. That's about it.
-The Garchomp conflict failed to be engaging, all it really did during its rampage was blast and knock over a few things. Ash should have let Pikachu Thunderbolt Garchomp, it wouldn't have affected it anyway, and it probably would have taken out the collar.
-I still didn't like Ash all that much, but he annoyed me less than in "Kalos: Where Dreams and Adventure Await!"
-...Weren't Giovanni and Matori supposed to appear?
-I kinda like Clemont so far, and Bonnie might not be that bad.

Last edited:
So, after 15+ years, we finally get full animation credits for the opening and ending! (key animators, animation directors, etc.) That took long enough. :p

Anyways, Iwane did key animation in both of the episodes and the OP/ED. His work:

OP: Pikachu VS Pangoro and Honedge, and the short cuts of Ash running right before that. ADs are Izumi Shimura and Kanae Matsunaga (松永香苗)
ED: A solo work. AD is Izumi Shimura.
EP1: Pikachu VS Bunnelby, right until Bunnelby catches Pikachu's Iron Tail
EP2: Some cuts of Garchomp's rampage (will update with more precise info)

Thanks to Sakuga Wiki for more confirmation.

Regarding the general animation, it seems the show is going the Inazuma Eleven (another OLM production) route: having one really good stock footage animation for an attack and changing the background as needed. Signs pointing to this are Pikachu's Quick Attack and Bunnelby's Dig(?). They've both been shown in future episode previews with the exact same animation, just a different background. I'm sure that Pikachu's Thunderbolt and Iron Tail animation will be used similarly in the future.

Just wondering. Has the animation improved greatly from BW?

I'd say the battles look better than ever before. I think the best and coolest improvements are the CGI backgrounds and dynamic 3D camera movements. They give a great sense of 3D space.

Last edited:
Ooh ooh, That guy with the blaziken is just like Gligarman except cooler. What am I saying, Gligarman is cool!!
Gligarman_9531f6_1350084.jpg

After watching the first 2 episodes back to back and the previews for the next couple of episodes. Thursday is now my new favorite day of the week. Animation was top-notch, action sequences really flowed nicely... Citron and Eureka are both characters which have already grown on me within 40 minutes. Eureka is straight up adorable.

Serena, for her miniscule appearance so far, have been wonderful. Rhyhorn riding, her reactions to watching the Prisma Tower events. And with the preview shown with her flashback between her and Ash... My god I squealed.

Overall 10/10 can't wait to watch again!

Also Ash don't give a damn, if Pikachu's going down, so is he. Loved it.

I'll give episode 1 a 7/10. Because of its rushed and incoherent plot.

EP2 I'll give a 8/10 because garchomp was cool and at least ash broke the collar himself rather than using friendship no jutsu to have it self destruct with the power of love.

These two episodes have exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that episode! Except I didn't like the way Serena's mother looked (I wasn't expecting her to look this way). Bonnie was so cute and is not at "annoying little kid" zone. I love Clemont, he's very smart and handsome. I love how was caring enough to carry his sister's and Ash's bags even if it hurted himself. I loved how Bonnie grabs onto Clemont in fear and Clemont grabs her and comforts her (aww what protective brother, he's just like a mother animal). Poor Clemont gets too hot/tired easily. I think I became a Clemont fangirl!!!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom