• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY001: We've Arrived in the Kalos Region! The Beginning of Dreams and Adventures!! ・ XY002: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower!

okay FINALLY got around to watching this

I would definitely say that this has been the best series debut so far, even the three-parter DP one didn't have quite as much packed into it as this one did. The episodes did a great job of introducing the characters (even though I'm annoyed that Serena's appearances were mainly just cameos), showcasing Kalos/Lumiose City, and building up future plot threads, but it never felt too dense or fast paced enough to make it unsuccessful.

The new characters all all looking great so far! Clemont and Bonnie haven't shown too much of their personality so far but what has been seen works at least - the brother/sister relationship between them was surprisingly adorable! And Serena wowow.... i LOVE SERENA sorry i'm pretty biased.... But from what we did see of Serena she seems funny and energetic and I'll be interested to see how she fits into the group dynamic with the other three.

I noticed that the music that plays from the scene where Ash, Clemont and Bonnie run to the Prism Tower from behind, until the scene where the MTV reporter says "There's a boy upon Prism Tower!", doesn't play in the Spanish, Italian, German or French dubs. Is there any logical reason for this music to play only in the Japanese and English versions?

Watched the premiere and it was way better than The current season of BW2DA! I WANT MORE XY!

But I have to wait until 2014... cuz I have Wi-Fi Battles to attend... Anyway, reviewing the episode... Clemont sounded more handsome then the JP version, Serena is the new Dawn... Ash caught a Froakie, and he's so cute... um... Yep... That's all I can say. Good episode. Also the 5 second opening isn't so bad...

I actually preferred Clemont's voice in the japanese version though both versions are good. His deepness in Japanese was awesome to me. For some reason, he sounds like a cooler Jyou from Digimon in English, in my opinion.

I do want to see him in normal clothing one day....

Is it just me or do both Bonnie and Serena sound like Iris?

Here's my brief review...
XY001 - Serena was just in the beginning waking up while Ash met Clemont (has no idea that he's the gym leader) & Bonnie and had a battle which Team Rocket interrupted. Most of their goals weren't revealed yet (except for Ash duh)
But I would have to say, Clemont looks like a badass nerd, Bonnie has that innocent cute trait of a little girl and Froakie was just awesome! For a 1st episode, I would give it a 3/5 Good :)
XY002 - We all get introduced to Professor Sycamore, who seems like a cool character...the only thing I'm disappointed in is that he didn't battle Ash or Clemont like how he battles the main players in the game...so yeah then the lab's Garchomp went ballistic and Ash becomes that brave hero blah blah blah...and we Serena riding a Rhyhorn and getting some scratches on her face and of course we see her remembering Ash on TV...yeah, that's pretty much it but overall I would give it a 4/5 Great :D

P.S. Serena's mom looks nothing like Serena! XD
I'm really curious on how they will all meet up though...

The two episodes got a 5.3% rating placing overall in 7th in Japan according to 2ch.

So, saw the dub.

Fletchling's voice is nice, high-pitched but not annoying. They changed Sihorn to Rhydon, okay. And MegaBlaziken doesn't make any voice when jumping over Ash, while in the japanese version it says its name. All new characters sounds fine to me.

Awesome, they kept original bgm (most of them at least)! And they didn't fill the silence with their boring bgm. Keep it up, TPCi!

Fantastic beginning.

The second episode was way better than the first one without doubt, but overall, it was an action-packed premiere. Serena is a fun character, she's got a bit of an attitude there and I just really enjoyed watching her reactions to stuff, her interactions with her mother (which is, by the way, way more fun that the interactions Dawn had with her mother) and especially recognizing Ash on TV. Clemont and Bonnie are just flawless, I gotta say. There is obviously a big secret related to them hiding Clemont's gym leader status and I'm eager to see it revealed and all the possible development it might deliver. One thing is sure, Clemont is tough. He managed to train a newly caught Bunnelby so that it would even give Ash's Pikachu trouble so that speaks a lot about his skills. I reckon his electric types stayed at the gym and that Clemont for some reason can't bring them with him.

Ash himself seems to be an improvement of his former self too. He was simply brilliant in these episodes. Granted, while I could understand his excitement, he still went a bit overboard, but it was still nice. Ash fought using his brain and strategy and I gotta say, I was as shocked as Clemont and Bonnie at his move against Bunnelby. Ash really is strong, just like Bonnie said. And don't get me even started on the whole Garchomp business. Ash was a true hero, a bit reckless, sure, but led by his emotions just like Froakie.

Speaking of which, I love that Froakie. Many trainers abandoned him because they were rookies and couldn't deal with his personality and behavior, but he really is so much like Ash. And like everyone else already said, Froakie choosing Ash at the end of the episode was really sweet. Only a trainer like Ash can deal with a Pokémon like Froakie and I'm excited to see them working together in the future.

Here's hoping that this is the first water starter of Ash's to evolve! *fingers crossed*

Okay, now THIS is the Show I've been wanting to see! :-D

Best animation the Show's ever had, Team Rocket's like their old Kanto selves, Wobuffet making himself USEFUL (what madness is this?!?! :eek:), Ash being the best he's been as a trainer and character since DP--maybe even better--,cool battles (Pikachu vs. Bunnleby alone was better than most of the battles in BW), and likable interesting characters.

I'll save final judgment for later (Johto, AG, BW had good starts too and look how THOSE turned out) and we have 3-4 years to go, but for now things look quite promising. Let's just hope they can keep it up :)

Last edited:
I wanted it to focus on Serena more. And I hope when she meets with Ash, Ash will take on a mentor role like Brock while Serena will be like Ash in the Kanto series, and they will both challenge the gyms and the Pokemon League.
I'm also hoping boutiques feature in the anime and Serena wont wear the same outfit every episode.

The animation in this series so far is impressive. Like movie-quality. These two episodes did a great job of showing just how effective an action hero Ash can be. The way he approached Garchomp reminded me a lot of Iris and how she calmed down that Hydreigon. He said when they parted that he learned from her, maybe that was the kind of thing he was talking about.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom