• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY004: Pikachu and Dedenne! Cheek Rub!!

Near the end of the episode, when Bonnie pets Pikachu and Dedenne together, she says "they're like brothers."

Does this mean that this Dedenne is male?
"Kyoudai" can mean siblings, it isn't as exclusive and gender-specific as "brothers."

Since no one has complained before, I'll do it: it's disappointing that Team Rocket is recycling their motto animation again.
However, the episode was so good in my opinion, that it quickly wiped away all my disappointment.

...Clemont is awesome. I only hope that his awesome running gag doesn't stop being awesome due to repetitiveness, but it's too early to see if that will happen or not.

Great episode. Bonnie was cute, Clemont was great and Team Rocket managed to be fairly fun to have around. I really like how Pikachu interacted with Bonnie, Clemont and Dedenne in this episode, it was nice to have the bonding happen between the Pokémon and not necessarily Dedenne's prospective trainer. XY has done a great job so far, and I look forward to how our first gym battle and first filler will work out.

Since no one has complained before, I'll do it: it's disappointing that Team Rocket is recycling their motto animation again.

I was pretty surprised by that myself. I thought the overuse of footage post-League in BW was due to the animation getting cheaper and not a stylistic choice. I guess it's kinda nice to know that the animator's priorities are not in motto animations but still, blatant recycling this early on is a bit blah.

This was a Good Episode I Thought, the Wobster was Used yet again to Block Pikachu's ThunderBolt and Inkay was Cool.

Stil for the 3rd Week in a Row, Serena is the BEST PART, her New Fenniken is VERY PROTECTIVE for her Now, Cool.

I Give this an 8.3 a Very Cute Episode and I Liked Bonnie in this Episode she did GREAT I Thought.

This was a cute episode. While it did feature a pokemon joining the team, it felt more like filler. Nothing special, though we did get to see James and Maiika battle for the first time. I'm glad they took out the running gag of James pokemon showing excessive affection for him whenever he sends them out.

Speaking of James, I like his 'Pokedex' better than Ash's 'Pokedex'. James has a high-tech holographic iscreen that he can flip pages with a wave of a hand O.O It also shows statistics regarding the pokemon on the screen as well, so it seems to have more information stored than Ash's Pokedex. Giovanni must have invested in science a lot to develop such a device.

I was pretty surprised by that myself. I thought the overuse of footage post-League in BW was due to the animation getting cheaper and not a stylistic choice. I guess it's kinda nice to know that the animator's priorities are not in motto animations but still, blatant recycling this early on is a bit blah.
It doesn't take any money at all to use already made motto backgrounds a few more times for a collection of episodes and again, where do fans get the idea that animation would get cheaper for no reason? I've said it once and I'll say it again, the writing absolutely does not impact the animation cost or its choices. It's almost as absurd as the idea that XY's animation team would "lose half their budget" because the first two XY episodes supposedly got "bad" ratings, which is silly since those ratings are perfectly good by today's standards and don't matter for a franchise like Pokemon anyway.

Kojirou sounded really different to me in this episode voice-acting wise, he seemed overly dramatic at times. Of course it might just be the name of the Pokemon he was commanding, but yeah. Sounded strange at some moments.

Last edited:
Kojirou sounded really different to me in this episode voice-acting wise, he seemed overly dramatic and at times. Of course it might just be the name of the Pokemon he was commanding, but yeah. Sounded strange at some moments.

Yeah! I thought he sounded different than usual. By chance, they didn't change his voice actor, did they?

I liked this episode. Not much happened except for Dedenne's capture, but I was still entertained for the most part.

My gosh I love Clemont and Bonnie. Bonnie is so adorable and I love that she'll be taking care of a Pokémon for the most part despite being too young to own one. It should be interesting to see how this plays through. I definatley hope she'll battle with Dedenne.

And Clemont, my gosh. I just love his invention scenes. He's so hilarious. Having that giant generator come out of nowhere and then talking with that creepy deep voice. Then he just pulls out the broken piece before it explodes. At least this machine actually worked in healing Dedenne.

I'm surprised that Serena didn't join the gang yet, but it seems like she'll be doing so in the next episode. Can't wait to see how that works out. 8/10.

Yeah! I thought he sounded different than usual. By chance, they didn't change his voice actor, did they?
Pretty sure it was the same actually, just the use of Engrish giving it a different air about itself through the accent.

Anyone notice the way Maika used Foul Play? It grabbed Dedenne before it could make contact and forcibly threw it back to the ground using the momentum from Tackle. Foul Play in-game takes power from its opponent’s Attack and that determines how strong it’ll be, that was a neat little game to anime translation.

Dedenne is amazingly cute, just wow. Superb. Bonnie is too, and seeing the way she was rubbing the Pokemon makes me think of Amie. I'm also really loving the inventions blowing up, and Ash complimenting them on the part they did succeed at. My only complaint about this episode is that it confirmed the TR motto will be stock footage, but I can forgive that since there's no stock footage to be found anywhere in the action scenes/battles. The animation is still looking miles better than anything the past seasons had to offer, and I'm still blown away by the whole experience.

I'm ready for Serena to join the team so we can learn something about her. I can't say I care about her yet.

So I'm wondering, do you guys think Clemont will ever use Dedenne in battle, even though he caught it for his Sister?

Cause, it does fit more in line with potential future positions than Bunnelby does.

Not quite as good as the first three episodes, but still fun, regardless. The group continues to be fun to watch and Serena... well, still hasn't joined the group yet, and her journey has still had less focus than Ash's group. But it looks like that will change next week.

Perhaps Clemont's machines that he builds to solve a problem before something goes wrong will be a running gag after all. I could live with that.

Anyone else noticed that the opening in this episode featured some black-looking Vivilion at the beginning?

Anyway, cuteness meter was off the scale of this episode when it comes to Bonnie and Dedenne. It may not have been on the same level as the previous 3, but it was still entertaining.

This was a really cute episode, it kept energy and was engaging practically all the way through. (although I was ready to turn it off after the story with ash and them finished, I'm glad Serena is joining them soon, because it's hard to maintain interest after things are already tied up).

There were some oddities in the animation and stuff, but overall still quite nice. And I like the little nuances they've added in as far as how the Pokemon move and behave. There's definitely something more naturalistic about the pokemon now than there has been in past series.

Perhaps Clemont's machines that he builds to solve a problem before something goes wrong will be a running gag after all. I could live with that.
I hope so too. and it also seems that bonnie tripping or falling down is another possible running gag too.

I kind of miss Kojirou's Pokemon cards ;_; Though it's understandable why they swapped those out for the pseudo-Zukan thingee instead.

So I am not the only one who thought that Kojiro would take out his Pokémon cards when he actually just used the TR-device when he looked up Maika in Ep. 2?

This episode was ok. I like that Bonnie is going to be pretty much taking care of Dedenne, and all of their Pokemon. She sure knows a lot about taking care of them. It was cute watching her clean and fawn over Dedenne. It was very funny when Clemont forgot about something for the machine and it blew up afterward. Nice to see Ash being able to dodge Team Rocket's nets.

I'm glad Inkay did all of the battling in this episode. The animation for Psybeam was great.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom